Queen Sasha's past | Teen Ink

Queen Sasha's past

By daughterofgod292 BRONZE, Caldwell, Idaho
daughterofgod292 BRONZE, Caldwell, Idaho

The fire expanded across the village, and water was far from reach. Our homeland, that we took time to build, was now being destroyed in front of our eyes and there was nothing we could do to save it. My mother cried in the arms of my father, as did so many other women with their husbands. The children watched all their belongings being burned and turned into ashes. How far would this wicked king go? “Father, where are we going to live now?” I asked. My father kept his eyes on our home and he said, “I don’t know sweetie, I just don’t know.” For the first time in my life, I felt alone and helpless. My own father, the one who always stood strong and knew exactly what to do, had finally crumbled into the king’s torment and misery.
Winter was coming fast, and now, with no shelter to keep us warm, we would all surely freeze to death. “What kind of a king is he?” My mother asked while my father wiped away her tears.
“One who cares nothing for anyone but himself.” My father replied. As a girl of only twelve years of age, I understood most of what my parents thought about the king but most of my time went into taking care of my little sister Taira. She was only about a year old, but was still a handful to take care of.
When the fire happened I was out in the forest picking mushrooms for supper, when suddenly I heard a lot of horses approaching. I came to the end of the forest that met the borders of the village and hid behind some trees. My eyes watched as new horsemen came riding through the dirt road. The head rider spoke loud as if he expected the entire world to hear. “Citizens of this disgusting village,” he started, “the king has sent me to collect taxes. Yes, even the villages that no one cares about, must pay taxes.” He announced. A whole roar went up from the villagers. “Taxes? Its too early in the season.” some said or “what money I have, I need to feed my family with.” No later within three minutes there was a fight between the king’s soldiers and the villagers. No matter how hard our men fought, the soldiers always defeated them. One soldier, in particular, grabbed a torch and threw it on the roof of one of the homes. Screams came from the inside, terrible screams. I could hear a baby cry, a mother screaming, and children yelling in fear. The father of the home bolted for the door, but was stopped by soldiers. “You say you need money for your family? Well then, what if you don’t have one to feed anymore?” the head soldier yelled, “burn the whole village down!” The father tried to break loose from the soldiers grasp, but it was useless. The scream grew to be more loud and intense. You could see the faces of the mother and children as they tried to break windows. Suddenly it seemed like our whole village was on fire, every home had flames exerting from the inside. Men broke down the doors of their homes to go save their families, children came out coughing and not breathing. The soldiers finally let the father go, and he rushed into his home. Seconds flew by until the father rushed out carrying a little bundle in his arms. And then suddenly, his home collapses. I watched and watched, hoping that somehow, someway the mother and children would jump out and be okay. All eyes were on the collapsed home and then, the father broke out in tears. He pulled the bundle up to his chest and cried, shaking without stop. Then the bundle started to cry, like a little baby. The father peered into the bundle and smiled. His little baby had been saved. I suddenly remembered my home and family, had my home been burned down too? I ran and saw that my home had not escaped the fiery grasps. My family stood with the other villagers as they watched our home being burnt. “Oh Sasha! I was worried sick about you!” My mother exclaimed. “Is everyone okay?” I asked my mother. She nodded her head and started to cry.
After the last home was nothing but ashes we decided to move on. There was no reason for us to stay here any longer. “Will we ever come back father?” I asked him. “I doubt it Sasha, we no longer have anything for us to come back too.” He answered. My family and the villagers decided that we would walk to the next village, and try to beat winter, all except for one man. It was the father with the little baby. “You and your son will freeze out there in the forest.” The villagers predicated. “Maybe or maybe not, but I refuse to live in the king’s reach any longer.” The father said, and he entered the forest without looking back or even hesitating. “What a foolish man!” My mother said.
We started for the village of Bescar, which was at least a two day journey. I remembered how cold that first night was, no beds or blankets, just a little cloak I wore when I went to pick mushrooms. My family huddled up by a tree, but it did not keep the cold out. Father built a fire to try to bring warmth to our bodies, but little good did that do against the stinging, cold winds. Mother leaned against the trunk of the tree, with Taira in her arms. “Sleep close to the fire Sasha, that will keep you warmer.” Father said. I scooted closer to the fire, and father was right, it was warmer. I covered the upper half of my body with my cloak, and father put twigs and leaves on my lower half. I tried to rest my head on a rock I had found while looking for firewood. I watched the flames dance, while little sparks shot up and threw ash on me. Never in my life did I think that I would be to cold to sleep, or that at any possible moment the cold winds could rip my breath away, leaving me dead on the ground. I slowly lower my eye lids and all I can hear is the crackling of the dancing flames.
The next morning I woke up to the sound of birds chirping and the sun shining. The fire had gone out several hours before but the smoke was still rising. As I stood up I pulled the cloak over my shoulders. My parents were still sleeping and I wasn’t going to be the one to wake them up. I tiptoed away to where everyone was sleeping and came to this meadow of some sorts. The ground was frozen still, but you could tell that in the spring this meadow was filled with beautiful meadow?” A voice asked behind me. A boy, not much older than me, stood looking into the meadow just like me. “My father told me that I shouldn’t talk to people I don’t know.” I responded. The boy smiled and said “Well then, we cant be going against your fathers rules can we? Hi! My names Tarrence. Whats your name?” I smiled and said “Nope! No matter what you say, I still don’t know you.” I said. “Come on. I just told you my name, now you know who I am!” He replied. “I-” suddenly a scream interrupted me before I could finish. The scream seemed to come from where my family had stayed over night. I turned and bolted towards the tree, and I realized the same boy was running behind me.
As I came upon the tree, my father was on his knees while my mother was still leaning on the trunk. I was breathing heavily when I reached my family. “Father whats wrong?” But as soon as I looked down at my mother and Taira, I knew exactly what had taken place. My father didn’t even answer my question, he kneeled there consoling my lifeless mother and baby sister. Finally when he did talk all he could do was blame himself for the two deaths. “I offered to sleep beside her, and hold her to keep her warm. But she said no and I did what she said.” He blamed. I fell on my knees beside my father. Both my mother’s and sister’s faces were white and frozen with ice. “Father, it was far from your fault. You offered to elp so many times. Mother knew what she was doing.” I said. “Still, I shouldn’t have listened to her.” He regretted. My father held my mother’s laughter or Tairia’s baby giggles. I would never hear Taira say my name or be able to see her walk and run. My mother would never again sit down and brush my hair while singing a lullaby. Suddenly, while thinking of all the things I hadn’t appreciated when they were both alive, a storm fall of my tears came rushing out of my eyes. My father held me in his arms as we both mourned over our lost.
A few hours had passed and by now all the villagers were up. Some of the young men helped father dig a grave for mother and Taira, and the women positioned my mother and Taira for the grave. As the men lowered them into the grave, mother held Taira in her arms while her hair draped over her right shoulder. “I’ll miss you mother. And you to Taira.” I whispered under my breath.
“We are terribly sorry for your lost Thomas, but as you know winter is on its way and we must get to that village in order to survive the cold.” One of the villagers said. “Theres no use going on anymore.” My father said quietly. “What do you mean ’no use going on’?” The villager asked. “I mean, I’m not going on with you. The only reason I was going to the other village is because I knew it would be best for my family, but now…” my father turned and looked at my, “I cant take care of you Sasha. I’m not a mother, I couldn’t provide for you or give you what you needed in order to become a woman.” I knew father wouldn’t be able to give me things my mother wouls have, but he was the only thing I had left of a family. “We could make it work father. I want to be with you.” I said. “I know you do sweetie, and I want to be with you, but I could never take care of you properly. Trust me Sasha, I’m only doing what is best for you.” He replied. Father stood up straight, held his head high and with a loud voice asked, “Is there anyone who would be willing to take my daughter in and raise her as their own?” A woman raised her hand as she answered with “We will. We lost our only child to scarlet fever a few years back, and we’ve been hoping for another chance. We haven’t got much but we will manage.” She finished. Father bowed his head. “Thank you. I’m sure she will be taken well care of while in your care. Sasha please, for my sake, go with this nice couple, they will take care of you.” Father pleaded. The woman held out her hand for me to take. “I love you father.” I said as I embraced him with a hug. He wrapped his strong arms around me and whispered “I love you too sweetie.” I let go of my father and grabbed the woman’s hand. She lead me through the other villagers and up to a tall, young man. The young couple introduced themselves but told me I could call them mother and father, once I was comfortable with it. As we and the villagers headed south towards the other village, I watched my father walk the opposite way and enter the forest. I was hoping father would turn around and see what a mistake it was for giving me up, but he never did show back up in my life. I went on with life and I grew older. I came to call the couple Papa and mother, and we became a family. Papa ended up building is a home, just like the ones we had in the past. Seven winters had past since the dreadful day our village went up in flames, but not one winter went by where I didn’t think of my family that had, so suddenly, disappeared from my life. Then I would remember about my family now, and how they took such good care of me. All the original villagers that came from our old village stayed close together, and because of that I made a new friend, Tarrence. As we got older, we grew to enjoy each other’s company more and more, and soon, we grew attached to each other.
I was breathing heavily as I ran through the meadow. I could see the village in the far off distance, and that’s where I was heading. I looked behind me but he wasn’t there. I kept on running, as if my life depended on it, and finally I made it. I stopped and realized how heavy and tired my legs were at that point. I went inside the barn, where the village kept all their lifestock, just to catch my breath. I pulled open the door and saw a pile of straw that looked really inviting. As I stumbled to the straw something grabbed me and flung me around. “Thought I had given up, didn’t you?” Tarrence asked. I giggled and turned to face him. “I knew you would find me no matter where I went.” I responded. Tarrence took his hand and brushed it against my cheek. “No matter where you are, I will always find you.” He said. I cover his cheek with my hand and run my fingers through his hair. He pulls me close and we kiss. “You know, sooner or later we’re going to get caught.” I say as I giggle. “So let us, we’re not committing any crimes.” Tarrence replies. “No, but you sure do make it hard for me to come feed my horse.” A voice exclaimed. Tarrence and I both look too see who was there. An old lady stood at the entrance of the barn looking at us with one eyebrow raised. Suddenly Tarrence and I both let out a little laugh. “Now, its not my place to tell you young people what your doing wrong or to go tell your parents what you’ve been up too, but at least do it someplace where I don’t have to watch.” she finished. “We’re both terribly sorry madam. We didn’t mean to disturb you.” Tarrence said while smiling. “Believe it or not, I use to be your age once.” she said. “Come on Tarrence, lets go. Again, we are very sorry.” I said as I grabbed Tarrence’s hand and led him out of the barn. As soon as we were out of ear shot we both start to laugh. “I told you we would get caught!” I said as I giggled in-between. “Don’t worry Sasha, she won’t tell anyone.” he promised. “Sasha! It’s time to come home!” My father called. “I have to go!” I said. Tarrence grabbed my hand and said “Meet me tonight in the meadow?” I smiled. “Wouldn’t miss it!” I answered. I quickly kissed him on the cheek and ran for home.
“Ah Sasha, would you mind setting the table for supper dear?” Mother asked. “Of course.” I replied back. I placed the plates on the table, then put a spoon on each dish. “So, how was your day?” Mother asked. “Very pleasant.” I replied. “Uh huh. And how is Tarrence?” She asked. She smiled which made me smile. “He’s fine.” I responded. “Good evening Sasha.” Said papa as he kissed me on the cheek. “Hi papa.” I answered. The rest of supper was conversation about farming and livestock, which was to boring for my taste. “May I be excused?” I asked. Papa nodded his head and went right back to talking. I walked calmly into my room and quickly shut the door. I put on a warm coak and gloves, and crawled out of my window. I pulled the hood over my head as I quietly walked through the village to get to the meadow. The moon was bright enough for me to see where I was going and the sweet smell of the flowery meadow helped me along. I came to the border of the village, which from there, met the meadow. I ran to the middle, which was the thickest with flowers, and I stopped. “Tarrence?” I loudly whispered. There was no response, so I walked slowly through the field calling his name. “Tarrence? Where are you?” I called quietly. I suddenly hear a strange noise as if someone was trying to get my attention. I look all around, and to my right I see a dark figure waving me down. I started running towards it trying to keep from tripping over my own feet. I look ahead, but theres no dark figure anymore. “Tarrence, are you there?” I called. “Yes!” He answered. I turn around and hes standing right there. “Huh!” I startled. Tarrence grabbed my hand. “Did I startle you?” He asked. I smile, “just a little.”
“Come on” he says as he leads me through the flowers and wild grass. “Where are we going?” I asked him, but he just smiled and looked at me as we went deeper and deeper into the meadow.
Finally, we stopped. Tarrence had put down two blankets, and he had brought a lantern. “This is very nice.” I said. “I picked it out special!” He replys. “Whats so special about this spot?” I asked. Tarrence lead me over to a tree. “This is why.” He answered. He held up the lantern to the tree and I saw some letters carved into it. “You carved our initials on this tree!” I exclaim. “Yeah, so we can always have something to look back at and remember this time in our lives.” he explained. Right then, I just wanted to kiss Tarrence forever, and be with him forever. I reach my hand up and feel our initials carved into wood. “I will always remember you and this part of my life.” I promised. We kiss and then hug. While Tarrence had his arms still around me I said “Tarrence, I don’t want to ever leave you. When I’m with you I feel safe and happy, and happy, and when im not with you I want you.” I admitted. “Sasha, I feel the exact same way about you.” He agreed. “You really do?” I asked. Tarrence pulled me back so I could face him. “Let me put it this way Sasha, if any man ever asks you to marry him, tell him that your already spoken for.” Tarrence said. “Spoken for? By whom?” I asked with a smile. “Hey!” he said with a smile, then he grabbed my waist, “you’ve been my girl since the first day I met you. And whether you like it or not, you cant change it!” He stated. “Oh really? And why is that?” I reply. “Because Sasha, I’m in love with you and your in love with me. And when two people are in love, they are instantly promised to each other.” He finished. “Well then, when you put it that way I guess I have no other choice but to agree with you.” I respond.
“Look at how pretty the stars are.” I exclaim. Tarrence and I gazed at the stars, while a nice warm breeze brushed by. He held me in his arms, as he leaned against the tree. “Tarrence, are you awake?” I ask. “Uh huh.” He responds as if hes asleep. “Do you promise that no matter what happens to us, that you will always find me?” I asked. “I promise.” He answers. “But how do I know for sure?” I say. “Sasha, no matter what happens, I will always find you.” He promised. “I’m going to hold you to that Tarrence.”
The nest morning I found myself rather cold than usual. I forced my eye lids up and I realized that I was outside. My head still rested on Tarrence’s chest and my cloak was draped over both of our bodies. “Tarrence.” I whispered. “Huh?” He said without opening his eyes. “We stayed out all night.” I pointed out. Tarrence let out a little chuckle. “Yes we did.” I really hoped papa wasn’t up yet and hasn’t realized that I wasn’t in bed. “If my papa finds out that I stayed out all night with you , hes going to get so mad.” I explain. “Then I guess we better get you home, huh?” He suggested. “That would probably be best.” I agreed. I stood up and wrapped the cloak around my shoulders. “Come on Tarrence.” I called. “Yes mother.” He replied. He stood up and smiled.
“Sasha, I would like to talk to you about something.” My mother said. “She caught me!” I thought to myself. I stopped and faced her. “Yes?” I asked. “One of the King’s soldiers was found in the forest late last night. It seems he was ambushed, and was shot with an arrow. He was brought back to our village and we are keeping him in our home. I will need your help in bringing him back to health Sasha.” She explained. “I’ll do anything I can to help mother.” I offered. “Thanks sweetheart. Now why don’t you go out and wash your face and thenn give me a hand with breakfast.” she said. “Okay.” I reply. I walked to the well and pulled up the bucket. In the winter, the water is so cold, and sometimes, the water would be frozen. I splash the cool water on my face and dry it with a cloth. I walked back into the house where mother had already started on breakfast. “What can I do to help?” I asked. “Would you mind just going in there and feeding the soldier some of this?” Mother asked as she held out a bowl of oatmeal. “Sure.” I grabbed the bowl and slowly walked towards the door. I admit, I was a bit nervous feeding a man I’ve never known before but after a few days it just seemed normal to feed the soldier. Everyday he would tell me a story about what it was like to serve under the king (though they weren’t as exciting as he made them sound.)
“And I was called to the king’s court just as I was about to-” Right as the soldier was in the middle of his story Tarrence walked in the room. “Tarrence what are you doing here?” I asked him with a smile. “Can’t a friend come see another friend?” He answered with another question. I giggle and Tarrence kneels beside me as he grabs my hand. “How’s he doing?” Tarrence asks. “Why don’t you ask him yourself?” I respond. “How are you doing mister?” Tarrence asked the soldier. “Better. Thanks to this kind and beautiful young woman’s assistance, I think I will be able to journey back to the Kings castle soon.” The soldier answers. “That’s wonderful!” I celebrated.
“I hope you have recovered well from your stay here” Mother said. “Thanks to your daughter I am well recovered and able to return to my duties.” The soldiers responded. The soldier decided it was time for him to return back to the city and inform the king of the people who ambushed him a week ago. “Yes, well, she is a remarkable young woman.” My mother said. “Do you mind if I say goodbye to her as well?” He asked. “I wouldn’t mind it at all, if she were only here. You see, shes off with Tarrence somewhere.” Mother responded. “Ah, well, I best be getting on my way. Again, thank you for taking me in your home and nursing me back to health, and please thank your daughter as well.” He requested. “Of course.” She agreed. The soldier got on his horse, which was kept in the villages barn, and rode off down the dirt road. Little did I know, that letting that soldier leave our village would be the start of my misery.
“Where in the world have you been Marcus?” The head soldier asked the soldier who we brought back to health. “I was ambushed while riding through the forest and some nice villagers helped me get back to my normal state.” He explained. The soldier was quickly taken to the kings court, in order to inform the king of the thieves in the forest.
“Sire” The soldier said as he bowed his head. “Yes soldier. What news have you brought me?” the king asked. “Well sire, there some murderers in the forest.” The soldier said. “And do you know that for sure?” The king asked again. “ Yes. They ambushed me and took the tax money I was bringing to you sire. I thought I was just going to die in the forest but some villagers took me in and this beautiful girl helped me and brought me back to health.” The soldier went on to explain how I helped him and how kind and loving I was. The soldier made me sound like I was a God sent down from Heaven, which I’m not, and this made the king more eager to meet me. “I must meet this young woman you speak of and thank her for taking such good care of you.” The king announced. The soldier was puzzled, the king had never taken the time to care for his soldiers, so why start now?
“See, I told you Tarrence, she’s as stubborn as you are.” I told Tarrence as he tried to milk our cow, Gertrude. “You just have to give her moment Sasha. It takes time for this kind of stuff.” He responded. “Maybe we should just leave and then come back later, and by then she might let us actually milk her.” I suggested. “That may be best! Lets go.” Tarrence said as he grabbed my hand and led me out of the barn. As came around to the middle of the village we saw approaching horse riders. They all had capes bouncing along behind them in the wind and they all wore some type of expensive material. The horses had fine saddles on their backs and their reigns looked of fine leather. The riders rode with their back straight and their heads held high. My guess was that they were part of the king’s knights. They rode through the village and stopped near Tarrence and I. “Fine people of this village, I am pleased to announce to arrival of our rule, King Linus.” One of the knights announced. I never had seen the king before but I knew I didn’t like him. The one I guessed was the king got down from his horse and smiled a smile that made me go cold and get shivers. “Men and Women of this fine village, I am here to thank you for the kind treatment you showed one of my soldiers after he was attacked. I am pleased to say he is now at the castle and has returned to his duties. Now, may I ask which of these fine families took in the soldier?” Asked the king. Many of the villagers stood their in awe in seeing the king in our small village, but there were those who had not forgotten the dreadful day that took place ten years ago. A few of the women pointed my home, and the king made his way to our door. “Should you be getting home?” Asked Tarrence. I looked towards our home as my mother kindly offered the king inside. “No, if mother calls me I’ll go but until then I’m all yours.” I said playfully. I was in no hurry to see the king. After all, he was the one who killed my mother, baby sister and drew my father into the forest after he had given me up. “Are you sure?” Tarrence questioned. I nodded my head and squeezed my hand. “Unless you don’t want to be around me anymore.” I suddenly stated. Tarrence rolled his eyes and said “Come one.”
“I do wish to thank you for your wonderful hospitality, and also for taking such good care of my soldier.” The King thanked. My mother smiled as she poured him some tea. “No need to thank me sire, it was my pleasure, though it was my daughter who took such good care of him.” my mother replied. The King took a sip of the tea and hastily put it down. “Speaking of your daughter, my soldier did speak much of her when he returned and I was hoping to get a chance to meet her. Is that in any way possible?” He asked. “Oh yes sire, let me call for her. She’s probably off somewhere with Tarrence.” Mother implied. “Tarrence?” The king said with a raised brow. “oh yes. My daughters best friend, though I do think they are starting to become more than just friends if you know what I mean.” My mother said. “Of course madam. How could I forget the early years of my life as well.” The king returned. Mother put on her shawl and opened the door. “Sasha! Its time to come home now dear.” Mother called.
“That’s mother. I have to go now.” I said. “Let me walk you.” Tarrence offered. “Alright!” I agreed. We held hands as we walked slowly to my home. As we came into view mother had already gone inside and closed the windows for the night. Father had already built a nice warm fire as I saw from the smoke coming out of the chimney. “You better say goodnight to me here Tarrence. I don’t want father to get any ideas. You know how he is.” I suggested. “Alright. But someday, you will have to tell him.” Tarrence complained. “I know. I just can never get the right timing but I promise I’ll tell him soon.” I promised. “ANd what about your mother?” Tarrence asked. “She’s already suspecting something, so I don’t think we’ll have much trouble telling her.” I responded. “Right then, good night Sasha.” Tarrence said. He leaned in and kissed my cheek, but I wasn’t going to let that be the end of our goodnight. I quickly wrapped my arms around his neck, as he wrapped is arms around my waist. Every night we would repeat the same words to each other as a lasting vow incase something ever happened and we never saw each other again. “If you ever wake up and find that I am gone, what would you do?” I asked him. “I would get up and start searching for you.” He answered. “If you searched everywhere and still couldn’t find me, what would you do then?” I asked. And his reply came as if this was just a play we were putting on, and he was just reading his lines. “No matter where you are, I will always find you.” He promised. “And within in that promise you make to me, I swear I shall never love another.” I promised him back. We release each other and I make my way to the door. Tarrence just stood their watching me, making sure I got in okay. I open the door and enter my home. I closed the door softly and quickly turn around. Sadly the king was still here and I had no excuse to leave. “Sasha, this is King Linus.” My mother introduced. “ Hello.” I welcome kindly, compared to what I could have said. “ My dear Sasha, your even more lovely in person. My soldier told me a great deal about you, and I am happy to say that everything he ever said about you was absolutely true. In what way could I possibly repay you for taking such good care of my soldier?” The king asked. “You don’t need to repay me sire, I was happy to help.” I answered. “Oh my dear, there must be someway I can repay. How about this? I will stay in your village for three days, and in that three days time you will think of a way on how I can repay you.” The king suggested. The King again smiled that smile that made my whole body shiver with the cold feeling I got. “Whatever you say sire.” I agreed. “In the meantime, where is an inn I can stay at?” The king asked. I almost started to laugh, obviously the king wasn’t us to these small villages. “I’m sorry your majesty, but we have no inns in our village. Though, you are most welcomed to stay here with us.” My father offered. The king smiled and graciously accepted.
After the king had already settled in and was fast asleep, I heard the fire still crackling and I knew someone was still awake. I got out of bed and quietly opened the door. My mother sat in her chair while mending one of her dresses. “Mother, what are you still doing up?” I asked her. “I need to finish mending my dress.” She answered. “Okay.” I responded. I start to make my way back to my room. “Night sweetheart.” Mother says. “Night mother.” I quietly peered into the room where the king slept. He slept on his stomach, and even gave me the chills while sleeping. I walked back to my room and laid in bed thinking about how the king could repay me. I had everything I have ever wanted. A family, a boy that loves enough to marry me and plenty of food and water to keep me alive, what else do I need? “Well, I will pray to God on high, that thou my constancy mayst see, And that yet once before I die, Thou wilt vouchsafe to love me.” I sung quietly. That was a lullaby my mother use to sing to me while she brushed my hair, it was my favorite time at night to have my mother lull me to sleep and softly run the brush through my hair.
“Sasha dear, its time to wake up!” My mother called into my room. I sighed and then leaned up. The sun was already shining through the window, and I could smell the tea mother had already put on to boil. I quickly got dressed and walked into the kitchen. “Good morning sweetie.” Mother welcomed. “Morning mother. Is papa already up?” I asked. “Up and gone.” Mother answered. “Gone? Where?” I asked again. “A wolf got into one of the chicken coops and killed them all, so he and some other men went to hunt the worlf down. Can’t let it eating all of our livestock can we?” Mother replied. “True. The king up?” I asked. “No, he’s still asleep. And were going to let him sleep until he wants too.” She said. “Of course. We wouldn’t want to wake the royal highness from his beauty sleep.” I mocked. “Careful. Remember, he is basically granting you one wish.” She reminded me. “Remember, his soldiers are the ones who killed my mother and baby sister, forced my father to give me up and burnt our whole village down into ashes.” I remembered. “Sasha, you can’t hold the king accountable for that. It happened seven years ago.” Mother responds. “I know, its just, I can’t seem to get it out of my head. Every time I hear horses coming I remember back to me picking mushrooms and hearing the soldiers riding up to our village, or when I watch the fire dance it reminds me of that first cold night I slept outside and watched the fire just hoping that I would be able to go to sleep and forget the stinging pains of the wind. And then the next morning seeing my lifeless mother and sister frozen to death because of the actions played by the soldiers. I will NEVER forgive the king or the soldiers who took everything away from me.” I promised. “Sasha, there’s no reason to get upset. Calm down and eat your breakfast.” She suggested. “Fine!” I agreed. I cut myself a piece of bread and started chewing on it. The milk tasted sour so I just decided to get a drink of water and then go check out the wolf damage. “I think I’ll just finish my piece of bread and then go and survey the wolf damage.” I said. “Good morning my fine subjects.” The king said. “Good morning sire.” Mother welcomed with a bow. The King sat down across from me and said “Good morning Sasha.” Did I really have to answer him? “Hi.” I answered. The king cleared his throat and smiled. “I’m going now mother. Bye.” I said as I kissed her on the cheek. “Bye sweetie,” I closed the door, “I’m sorry my highness, shes had a bad morning.” The king smiled again and responded “No worries, if you don’t mind me asking though, what has made her so angry?” Mother took the tea off from the fireplace. “Sasha’s not really our birth daughter. We took her in and raised from the time she was twelve years old until now. There used to be a little village about a two day travel on foot from here. That’s where about half of the villagers that live here now originally came from. Well to make a long story short, one day a bunch of soldiers came riding through the village and they came to collect taxes before the farming season had taken place. And when the villagers argued against it the soldiers started to fight with them and then before we knew it our whole village was on fire. After our whole village was burnt down we decided to walk to this village for refuge. You see, winter was on its way and we wouldn’t be able to survive without shelter so we started on foot. Sasha’s mother and little sister didn’t make it through the first night, they died. The next day Sasha’s father realized that he couldn’t take care of his daughter alone so he gave her up and that’s when my husband and I took her in. She has never seen her father since, though I do think he still watches over her even though she doesn’t know it. From that very day, Sasha blames you and those soldiers for the death of her mother and sister and forcing her father to give her up.” Mother explained. “I see. That does explain her mood towards me. If it means anything to you, I apologize for my soldiers behavior, I had no idea.” He sympathized. “I don’t blame you your majesty. Now that I’ve talked with you I can see that you’re a gentle, kind-hearted king who would make any sacrifice for his subjects.” Mother responded. “Your right madam, I would do anything to help my loyal subjects.” He agreed. “I know you would sire.”
“Is something bothering you sasha?” Asked Tarrence. “No….” I answer him. “Is it because the king is staying here, in your home?” He asked with a raised eyebrow. “Yes! You know what he did! Why should I forgive him? He killed my mother and baby sister and forced my father to give me up! He’s lucky I show him the respect I do!” I blurted out. “Okay, okay, I get your point. What are you going to ask the king for?” He said trying to make conversation. “I don’t know. I was thinking about it last night, and I realized, I have everything I could ever want. Maybe I’ll just ask him for gold to help us along when we get married, or a nice strong cottage for our home. “I thought out loud. “Sasha, I understand that you are trying to benefit us both by the kings gift, but ask for something for yourself.” He told me. “Well then, I guess I’ll just have to keep on thinking about it.” I said.
During that same moment, the king was taking a walk through the meadows thinking about Sasha. “Oh my dear Sasha, you’re the most lovliest thing on this earth, and I want to be with you forever, but will you except me?” he thought out loud, “I’ve got it! I will ask for your hand in marriage, and that will be how I repay you for taking care of my soldier. I will ask for it tonight, that way when you say yes I can get out of this rotten village as soon as possible.” The king plotted.
That night I was totally unaware of what the king had planned to offer me, and neither did my parents. It was after dinner and I had just finished helping mother clean up when the King asked me to walk with him outside. Seeing how my mother kept elbowing me I couldn’t refuse. As I shut the door behind us the king quickly came up with a conversation, just like he had it already planned out. “Have you thought much on how I could repay you Sasha?” He asked. The way he said my name made my heart weak and body go limp. “Uh, Yes, and to be honest, there’s nothing I want or need. I have everything that makes me happy.” I responded. The king stopped and turned to face me, it took all my strength to do the same. “I thought you might say that my dear, and that’s why I came up with a solution,” the king started as he got on his knees, “ my dearest Sasha, ever since I heard of you I knew I loved you. And when I saw you, I just thought my heart would beat right out of my chest. Will you do me the honor of becoming my queen?” He asked. I slowly backed away from him. “I’m sorry, but I’m already spoken for.” I answered. “To who? That young boy you always are with? My dear he’s no good for you, he won’t be able to give you the things I would be able to. Jewels, fine clothes, servants, maids, food you can never had imagined and anything you have ever dreamed for.” He tried to persuade me. “I’m sorry, but the only thing I’ve ever dreamed about was marrying Tarrence and having a loving family, which I have. And Tarrence and I are soon to be married. So now that I’ve given you my answer, Sire, I must bid you goodnight.” I respond. I walked back into the house and straight to my room. The truth was, I didn’t feel one bit sorry for me denying the kings proposal and I knew mother would be just fine with it as well.
The next morning I quickly got dressed, in order to miss the appearance of the king. I grabbed a piece of bread and ran out the door. “Good morning Sasha.” Tarrence calls from the well. “Were you waiting for me to wake up?” I asked with a smile. “No, would I ever do that?” He responds wit another smile. I giggle and run to where he is. “I need to tell you something Tarrence.” I exclaimed. “Okay, go ahead.” He said. “Last night the king proposed to me and asked me to be his queen.” Tarrence’s face drops, “But I told him I was already spoken for and that you were the only thing that could ever make me happy, that, and my family.” I ended. Tarrence smiled, picked me up and twirled me around. “Oh, I love you love you love YOU Sasha. Did I mention I loved you?” He asked. I giggle and take his hand in mine. “I will always love you, and you are the only thing in life that could possibly make me the happiest woman alive.” I explained.
“If I can’t have her no one can!” The king told my mother. “Sire, I don’t like the tone your talking about my daughter with. I’m afraid I’m going to have to ask you and your soldiers to leave our home immediately.” My mother said calmly. “Leave? Oh no! You will find madam that when I want something, I get it! I will make Sasha marry me if it will be the last thing I do!” The king responded. “You will do no such thing! And if you so much as harm a hair on her head, I will-” the king interrupted mother with “do what? You’ll kill me? Torture me? Last time I noticed you’re a poor helpless woman whose husband is far away and is not going to be back till tomorrow. Your daughter will marry whether you like it or not!” The king yelled. “Over my dead body!” Mother yelled back. “Don’t tempt me woman! Now, where is your daughter?” The king angrily asked. “I will never tell you!” My mother argued. “No matter! She’s probably with that boy, Tarrence.” The king mocked. The soldiers took mother and locked her inside our home. “Find her!” The king ordered his soldiers. “Yes Sire!” They all agreed. The soldiers scattered and searched the village high and low, thankfully Tarrence and I decided to take a walk in the forest.
As we were walking through the trees, talking about our future together, a villager comes running towards us. “Sasha, Tarrence, you have to get out of here!” The villager called. “What are you talking about?” Tarrence asked the villager. “It’s the king! He’s gone mad! He has ordered his soldiers to find you Sasha, and their tearing our village apart little by little. You need to get out of here!” The villager warned. “The king? Why is he trying to find me?” I asked. “He is going to force you to marry him, if you don’t do it willingly.” The villager explained. “Marry him! But I’m going to marry Tarrence!” I said. “I know! But the king doesn’t care. He told your mother ’If I can’t have her nobody can.’ Hurry! You need to go!” The villager said. “My mother? Where is she? Did he hurt her?” I kept on asking. “He had her locked up in you cottage just like it was one of his prison cells.” the villager answered. “Locked up? Tarrence, I have to go back and help my mother. My fathers not there to defend her, she needs someone. I have to go!” I pleaded. “I know. I’ll go with you. Maybe we can reason with the king.” Tarrence suggested. I nod my head and face the villager. “Thank you for coming to warn us. I suggest you wait in the forest until the king and his soldiers leave the village.” I recommended. The villager nods and sits on the forest floor trying to catch her breath. “Come on.” Tarrence says as we start running towards the village.
“Find her! Even if you have tear down this whole village and kill all its inhabitants!” The king yelled. Soldiers were everywhere, tipping over barrels, breaking into homes and beating the men. The women pleaded with the king to call off his men but he refused to do so until I was found. “Sire, we’ve searched all the homes and anywhere else she could possibly hidden.” The head soldier informed the king. “Then search them all again! She HAS to be here!” The king yelled again. The soldier bowed and went back to searching. “No need to look for me anymore! I’m here! So stop the destruction and beatings!” I ordered the king. “Sasha, I thought you wouldn’t show up. You prove to be more courageous then I thought.” The king answered back. “Call your soldiers off, let my mother go, and then we can talk.” I tried to compromise. “Fine! Men, she is found. Go back to your normal duties. Oh! And let her mother out of the cottage. Come along my dear, lets go talk.” The king agreed as he lead to my home. “I’m coming too whether you like it or not.” Tarrence butted in. The king started to refuse but I interrupted him. “Its either him, or none of me.” I said. “Fine! But this is none of your business farm boy!” The king agreed. “Anything that puts Sasha in danger or concerns Sasha’s life, its my business.” Tarrence said as he defended me. The king gave a evil snarl and kept his way up to my home. “Do you mind if I talk to Tarrence for a minute?” I asked the king. “I’d prefer you do after we had our little talk.” The king replied. “Well I’d prefer to talk to him before, we’ll be just a minute!” I respond. I grabbed Tarrence’s hand and run behind to the well. The king gave a hurtful sneer and went on his way. “Tarrence I need to talk to you.” I said. “Okay.” He replied. “I don’t know what the outcome of this day is going to be, and incase the outcome isn’t you and me being married then I just want you to know that I will always love you no matter what happens or how our lives turn out.” I explained as I started to let a few tears slide. “Hey,” Tarrence said as he wiped away my tears, “Its going to be alright. I told you, know matter where you are, I will always find you because our love is stronger than any other spell or power alive. Do you understand? We will be married and raise a family of our own. We will be together forever.” Tarrence answered my cry. He pulled me into a hug and kissed me on the forehead.
“It’s about time you showed up! Now Sasha, I don’t know if I was clear enough last night, but I’m madly in love with you and I want you to be my queen.” The king started. “I understood to clearly what you wanted, and I told you, I am already spoken for.” I explained again to the king. “Yes I know. To this boy who claims to love you, but I told you, I can offer you so much more. You deserve to be treated like a Queen, not walking around in rags and feeding slop to pigs, not to mention, raising your children in such an environment. Please, accept my offer in marriage, don’t force me to do anything rash.” The king pleaded. “I’m sorry, but I cannot marry you. I don’t love you! I love Tarrence and he’s the only one I will ever truly love.” I ended. The king dropped his smile and then started to laugh with an evil tone. “Dear, dear Sasha. I did hope you wouldn’t force me to do this but it seems, I have no other choice. I am the king! And when I want something I always get it! You will marry me! And you will learn to love me!” The king yelled. “A challenge! I challenge you for Sasha’s hand in marriage!” Tarrence jumped up and announced. “What? A challenge? Against you? Well that doesn’t seem fair in your favor.” The king mocked. “Well if your to frightened to fight me then I see no point in going on with this conversation.” Tarrence said. “I never said I was frightened. As you wish, a challenge it shall be.” The king agreed. “Shall we say, swords?” Tarrence asked. “Do you even know what a sword is?” The king mocked again as he laughed. “Oh, I know what a sword is. Shall we say tomorrow?” Tarrence scheduled. “Why not! See you then farm boy!” The king said as he left our home. “Oh Sasha!” Mother cried from behind me. “Mother! Are you hurt?” I asked her. “No dear. Are you?” She asked back. I shook my head no and we engulfed each other with a hug. When mother heard about Tarrence fighting against the king she forbade it. “Tarrence, do you know how young kings start to learn the skill of a sword? Young! I will not watch you throw your life away! You and Sasha must run and leave this place. Go where the king can never find you.” Mother tried to persuade. “This king would never stop hunting us down if we ran. He would search and search, and Sasha and I can’t keep running forever. I must defend Sasha and our love that we share.” Tarrence explained. “What if he kills you, then we can never love again.” I add. “If I die, we will keep on loving each other just the same, and if I end up killing the king we will be able to live our lives together in happiness, everyone will! Don’t you understand? I’m not just doing this for us Sasha, I’m doing this for everyone.” He admits. I nod my head and fall asleep on Tarrence’s shoulder. I kept on dreaming about Tarrence fighting the king and him dying every time. I couldn’t stop from stressing about the big fight, it had me frightened that I would never see him again after tomorrow. That this night might be the last one we had together.
“Sasha, I’m leaving now.” Tarrence said as I opened my eyes. “I want to come with you Tarrence.” I said. “I don’t think that’s a good idea.” Tarrence replied. “Like it or not I’m coming.” I stated. Tarrence nodded his head with a smile and pulled me out of bed. I quickly got dressed and put on my cloak. “Your mothers still asleep, don’t wake her.” Tarrence ordered. We both tiptoed out in to the fresh spring morning and shut the door. With each step we took I grew more and more nervous of what might happen. “Are you sure the king can be trusted? He might bring some of his soldiers and if you get any where near killing him, they could kill you.” I pointed out. “Maybe, but maybe not. If the king has any dignity left he wouldn’t dare kill a man in cold blood.” Tarrence answered. “That man has nothing left, maybe a cold heart or an evil spirit but that’s it! Nothing more.” I said. Tarrence smiles. “I can feel that you are frightened.” Tarrence replies. “And why not? You are just about to enter a fight, you can’t hope to win.” I respond. “You really have no faith in me do you?” he asked. “I have plenty of faith, but you have as much chance to be killed as the king does. Plus, there’s no guarantee the king won’t have his soldiers kill you.” I feared. Somehow Tarrence looked confident and not frightened at all. “Would it make you feel better if you knew that I was an excellent swordsman?” He asked. “I didn’t know that! Well, that changes my opinion drastically.” I said. As came to where the fight was to be held I stopped Tarrence. “Please don’t do this Tarrence! I beg of you, come away with me! We can hid, go live in a different kingdom where the king couldn’t get to us.” I pleaded with him. “Is this why you came? To try to talk me out of fighting for our freedom?” He asked. “No. I’m not doing this for you, I’m doing this for me.” I respond. “I’m not backing down on this Sasha. I’m going to do it.” He determined. “Fine, but it kills me to watch.” I said. “Then close your eyes.” Tarrence suggests sarcastically. I follow him to the “arena” where the king stood waiting. “Ah, Tarrence. I was afraid you wouldn’t show up.” The king mocked. “I never doubted coming once!” Tarrence explains. “Well, lets get this over with so I can marry my bride-to-be.” The king says. They both unsheathed their swords and held them in front of their bodies. They circled around and once in a few seconds tapped their swords together. I hoped that the whole fight would turn out to look like this, and sooner or later the king would give up because he was so bored, but luck did not follow me that day. It started off with them banging swords, and then an outburst of banging metal started. There were spins after spins, strike after strike, stroke after stroke, but still nothing seemed to appear dangerous. Then suddenly Tarrence’s sword fly’s out of his hands, and the next thing I know he’s on the ground. The king raises his sword and slams it down, but Tarrence quickly rolls to the side and the sword and the ground meet. Tarrence jumps and up starts to run for his only defense, the sword. The king runs after him with his sword raised hoping to slice Tarrence in two. Tarrence picks up his sword and slams the kings sword while its going down. Tarrence throws the king back and again they walk in a circle with their swords in front of their bodies. The king suddenly makes the move, and this time his sword fly’s out of his hands. Tarrence holds the him at sword point, and the king falls to his knees begging for his life. “Please, have mercy on me. I was wrong, I was terribly wrong.” The king admitted. Still, there was something in the king’s voice that made me worry. I look down and the king flicks his wrist. The next thing I know there is a cry of pain. I look up and Tarrence stands there with an arrow in his back, the king stands up and pushes him on the ground. “Should have killed me when you had the chance farmer.” The king mocked. I hurry to Tarrence’s side, as he groans on the forest floor. I kneel down and grab is hand. “Tarrence? Tarrence can you hear me?” I ask as I cry. All he can do is moan. “I believe the we had a deal. Come Sasha, we must prepare you for our wedding.” The king heartlessly says. “I will never be yours! You monster!” I yell. A soldier starts moving towards me, intending to force me to the castle. “No!” Yelled Tarrence as we slowly stood up. He held the sword in front of him, “you will not touch her!” He replied. The king flicked his wrist again, and another arrow shot out from the bushes and punctured Tarrence’s chest. He staggers, but still holds his ground. “You will not touch her.” he stuttered. Again, the king flicked his wrist and again another arrow sliced throw the air and punctured a little lower than the last one. Tarrence falls to his knees, and drops his sword. I followed him down and grabbed his hand. “Tarrence, I will always love you.” I whisper in his ear. He yanks his face up to look at me and brushes the hair away from my face. “No matter where you are, I will always find you.” Tarrence promised. We both lean in and kiss for as long as we had. Suddenly a soldier comes and drags me away from were Tarrence kneeled. I was forced to look at the king as he said “Now, you WILL be my queen, and you will learn to love me, Queen Sasha,” the king ended. He turned around and as he walked away, “finish him. I don’t believe in leaving a worthless creature to die in pain.” The soldier who had shot the three arrows finally revealed himself from the bushes. He walked over and stretched out and arrow, and before I could watch him release the arrow the soldier forces me to where the horses were tied up. “No! Tarrence! Get off of me! Tarrence!” I cry. Tears run down my cheeks one after one as I try to break free of the soldiers grasp. It was no use, his grasp was to tight! I realized that in just moments my happiness had disappeared and my young lover was now dead.
The wedding day came, and my tear stained face was presented in front of the entire court. When it came to the “I do” part, I imagined what it would have been like to stand across from Tarrence, knowing those words I could let loose easily. But here, his murderer stood across from me, smiling, and the “I do” stood stuck in my mouth. Finally, I was again forced to say it and we were married. And that’s where my suppose to be happily ever after, became my miserable disaster.

This was actually my first attempt at writing a story with romance inside and I personally, think it went better then what I thought it would have.