The Fountain | Teen Ink

The Fountain

December 10, 2014
By esm_m BRONZE, Stockton, California
esm_m BRONZE, Stockton, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

It was a beautiful day in the Amazonas, you could smell the sense of peace, and you could hear the water going down the rivers. All the animals were so excited since that spring was finally here the wait was over and everyone knew it. As any one knows there’s always a king in the jungle who is the king of all animals his name was Rey. He was a beautiful and powerful lion all the females of the jungle would go crazy every time they would see him. He had over 50 servants he wanted everything to be perfect, he wanted everything to be done when he said it had to be done he hated to wait for things to be done. Every morning he wanted to be the first one in the river to take a shower and no animal was able to do it before him.
One Sunday morning as usual the animals gather together in the heart of the jungle for the meeting that was held there. Everyone was ready to hear the announcements the king had to do.  The birds sang announcing the king’s entrance, but after waiting for at least five minutes nothing happened. One of the frogs staring to murmur
“Now what the kitty broke one of his claws and cannot walk,” said the Old frog.
One of the Servants of the King hear what the old frog said and right away send to execute the poor old frog. The animals look at each other with a scary and frighten look in their eyes and ignored the crucial act.
The days had passed like anytime in the year nothing interesting had occur during the past days. Till one morning of fall it started to get cold the lifts of the trees started to get a light brown with a mixed of yellow. A hippopotamus had arrived it was weird to see one of this kind, because all the other animals thought they got extinct with the dinosaurs thousands and thousands of years ago it was something tremendous. All the animals were commenting and texting each other such a thing. Some minutes later the #Hippopotamusareback started to be the number one hashtag in the social Medias.
Raul the main servant of the King Rey came in the palace
“My majesty something unpredictable had just happened!” Raul said.
             The king staring at his reflection in the fountain inside the palace said.
           “What do you want can you see I’m busy right now?”                                         
          “OH my majesty something terrible just happened a hippopotamus just
Appear in the jungle and I’m afraid that the other animals saw such a creature already.” Said the servant to the king.
The king was so entertain with his reflection in the water that he didn’t pay a lot of attention to the servants’ words after he finish admiring his self, the words of Raul caused nothing not a single glance in his eyes he ignored such a thing.
The next morning all the animals were gather together they saw a ginormous thing approaching towards them.
“What is that thing?” One of the animals said,
“Is the devil that has come for us” the ant responded.
The poor Hippopotamus felt so uncomfortable he could hear the murmurs of all the jungle in his ears he try to get close to the river to get some water, but then realize it was not a  good idea and went away to the darkness area of the jungle. He didn’t know what was wrong with him that all the other animals didn’t accept him and judge him without no reason.
“Never judge a book by his cover” he whispered to himself.
Remembering the words his mother told him before dying when he was a little Hippopotamus. Since that time he had always being alone no one to talk to and he had never seen another creature like him. He started to believe in the rumors from the other animals saying he might be an alien, but he need it tangible proofs that he was just like any animal in the jungle he had to four legs, two eyes a nose and similar features as the other animals. He decided to look for the reason why the other animals didn’t accept him just like any of them. He was tired of living in the darkness.
The next morning he decided to go to the river in his journey to the river he saw a little rat walking by the side of the road, it was a small little rat he thought that the rat was going to ignored him just like the other animals, but something surprising happened he heard a little soft voice saying,
  “Good Morning sir where are you heading to?” the rat ask.
   “Are you talking to me?” the hippopotamus reply.
   “Of course I’m,” the rat said.
“Wow you’re the first animal in the whole jungle that actually talk to me or try to have a      conversation with me”
  “Well sir I should feel special then, would you mind giving me a ride to the river?” asked the rat.
They both travel their way to the river together when they got there the rat continue his journey. The Hippopotamus saw that all the animals looking amuse into the water there were all so into it. What is so interesting that all the animals are looking the hippopotamus wondered he continue his way up the river in till he found a big palace it was so beautiful that he couldn’t resist the curiosity of wondering inside. He saw a big fountain in the middle of the palace he saw a beautiful lion doing the same thing as the other animals in the river.
“Mr. Lion may I ask what are you doing”, said the hippopotamus
The lion look up and saw it was the ugly Hippopotamus that was talking to him, he decided not to call the guards and have a little fun and take advantage of him.
  “I’m looking at my beautiful reflection in the water” said the King
  “A reflection what is that?,” the hippopotamus said
  “You never saw your reflection? Come on I’ll show you what is a reflection…yours might not be as beautiful as mine but nothing is more beautiful than me” the king responded with such an arrogance that the poor hippopotamus felt sad.
He look at his refection and realize why the other animals didn’t like him he was the ugliest thing he had ever saw in his life. He started to cry he ask the lion for help. He was willing to do anything that was in his hands to be beautiful as the lion.
After he got back from the meeting he knew it wasn’t going to be easy; however, he had to look for different methods to get a perfect body. One morning he decided to go in a clandestine mission and spy the other animals. He tried to adopt the different habits of many animals. He came to the conclusion that it was maybe that he spend so many time in the water that the ramification was he absorbed the water and that’s why he was so fat. He decided to go on land but he didn’t think about the consequences. He felt dizzy and didn’t have no energy at all so he decided to eliminate the idea from his brain. He became so obsess with his body image, he could thing about anything else. One day while he was walking around the jungle he heard some whispers.
  “Look he should be dead I don’t know how the thing is still alive,” someone whispers.
The next morning he wondered why he couldn’t find anyone with the same features as him. He was maybe one of a kind. But he hated the feeling all he wanted was to be friends with the other ones, but his only wished couldn’t came true so he decided to kill himself.