Mars: The Untold Story Of Its War | Teen Ink

Mars: The Untold Story Of Its War

It was a typical afternoon at Mars, something like the most normal of days. Cukita was watching enormous war ships blast by, like a laser in the red sky.  Other people in her family were watching volcanoes burst lava so high it would shoot red hot lava into space. Cukita was attending the school of Martinias and her dad was a Hologram editor for the Martian Newspaper of Volcania and her mom, an engineer for Android. They were refugees from Saturn where Darth Vader had taken over Saturn. Many spies were in Saturn and they were in trouble once they found out they were going to overthrow him. They were close to being warped into the void of outer space, but saved by a Martian helicopter that rescued them.  After that they were very respectful and ALWAYS monitored what each other said about others. Now they remember Darth Vader as the most inhuman person in the Universe.
Cukita was given a long assignment to be done at the end of the school year, it was a 20-page essay about the rebellion that was going on, and what side she was in favor of. At home while everyone was at the dinner table eating together her mom would eat fast and go work on ideas that she had in mind while leaving her husband and daughter just staring at their food. She invented many things that were not completely useful, like a reusable juice box straw. She always looked at inventors magazines and would brag about thinking of that idea, but never got around doing it. Her mom’s reason for making inventions was to make a successful invention that would give them more money to do more stuff. All Cukita wanted was to have a mom that would spend more time with her, and she slowly stopped considering her, her mom. Winter was wearing off and things were getting worse.
War was happening and sanctions were being placed on Saturn by the United Galaxies. Everyday news reports about the war came out but had to be recorded by droids since no Martian was allowed, nor safe in Saturn. Cukita was informed of her essay topic through the news and began  to work on it. After 2 months of working hard Cukita’s mom was able to make a prototype of a machine that was able to scan and recreate its surroundings to make a virtual world which allowed the person to enter and leave safely and print things from the virtual world.
It was 2 weeks before the 20-page essay was due and anyone who didn’t do it wouldn’t graduate and would have to attend summer school. Cukita was finished with her essay and was happy to focus her mind on something more peaceful than the gruesome war that had uncountable casualties. She decided to take a nap and rest for a while. She could faintly hear people screaming and was awaken by her dad pulling on her arm telling her to get up. The enemies’ ship had gotten past the force field that was used to protect the planet, and were bombing residential ships. The family, was able to escape, but the same could not be said about their home. Her 20-page essay had been bombed along with the ship and she lost all hope of graduating. The enemy ship was taken down a couple of minutes afterward.
As the smoke cleared out she saw the silhouette of something standing where her mom’s room used to be, it was her mom’s prototype. The chips had been fried by the blast and all that was left intact was the memory. Cukita knew her essay was destroyed and would fail her senior year. Meanwhile her mom saw an opportunity to make up her relationship with her daughter and started to begin work on another exact replica of the prototype, but she would use the memory card from the older one. Cukita’s mom spent a whole week, stopping just to eat and sleep, working on the prototype. She was able to get it set up and working, and printed her daughter’s assignment, which virtually existed in the memory card. Cukita’s eyes lit up when she came home and saw that her assignment was sitting in the middle of the table with her mom next to it. Cukita thanked her mom and said she loved her, in return her mom promised to set aside inventing better care for her
A couple of weeks later the war ended with Saturn’s defeat and everything was back to normal, the volcanoes spewed lava and the stars were no longer blocked by force fields that once protected Mars. Cukita’s mom was able to sell her prototype to MASA (Mar’s Aeronautics and Science Administration) and decided to go on vacation together to strengthen their family ties. Now that Cukita views her mom she’s thankful towards her, because if it weren’t for her she would still be in 12th grade and not seeing the rings of Saturn on a cruise ship.