A Dragon's Soul | Teen Ink

A Dragon's Soul

By fvckedmind GOLD, Tarrytown, New York
fvckedmind GOLD, Tarrytown, New York

Two Years into the Future...
I'm running through the forest, panting heavily, with sweat dripping down my forehead. You can't run from me, says a sharp hiss through the night. I run as fast as my legs can carry me but ahead I see a stone wall, with no way out. It's a dead end. Then, I felt a tingling in every part of my body, kind of like an electric shock, and I feel myself transform. The black scales on my arms and legs protrude to a sharp point, and black, scaly wings sprout out my back. I jump high in the air, and the rest of my body responds to me changing. My heartbeat's speed doubles, my vision enhances to a point that I can see every little insect from a mile away. As I soar through the quiet night, I hear an agonizing roar that pierces my ears, and then silence. I have escaped this time, but tomorrow is a different story.

The Present...
Like every morning, I am exhausted and starving. I hadn't hunted in four days, and my stomach makes low grumbles. I stop in the store and ask the butcher for 10 pounds of deer meat. He stares at me for a second, and then replies “Your mama got them pack of  wolves hiding in her barn, eh?” He smiles, showing yellowed and blackened teeth. I shake my head. He cuts the meat with a meat cleaver in a chopping motion. My teeth grow, like they always do when I see blood, each one of them curling inwards. Even my teeth can bite through the toughest metal. I try to keep them unseen, mentally cursing at myself for not being able to control myself. If they find out, I'd have to flee my home. For now, I keep my head down, waiting for him to finish. “You gon' carry that all by yourself, girl? Those little arms will break off. Here, lemme-” He can't finish because I'm already out the door, with the meat in a bag meant for potatoes. I hate how they think I'm so weak. If only I could show them what I really am. With clenched jaws, I make my way away from the village, into my mama's house. On the way, I accidentally bump a water bucket, and it splashes onto the dirt. A woman starts shouting at me, and then stops when she sees the bag that started dripping blood from the fresh meat. I mumble sorry and quicken my step. There's smoke coming off of the chimney, and I can't wait to feel the warmth of the fire on my cold skin. I walk in, and the door squeaks and mama wakes up from her nap. I immediately feel bad.
“Mama, I'm so sor-” I begin but she cuts me off. “Khaleesi, it's fine. Everything went okay at the village?” She sounds worse than yesterday. The last thing I need is to have her worry. I sit next to her pale and fragile body, and kiss her forehead. “Yes, mama”, I lie. I didn't want to tell them that the village people who already hate me now think I have something to hide. She nods and falls back to sleep. I leave her on the couch for now, until I get more strength from eating.
After I finish eating, my strength renewed, I prepare myself for the trip. Mama is getting really sick, and I need to find a healer. I pack my bag, careful to not spill the bottle of Dragon's Blood I'm going to use to exchange for medicine. It wasn't mine, of course. It was my papa's, the legendary Zykos. The Father of All Dragons. He was the first original dragon to ever walk Earth. He fell in love with a woman, and she bore him many sons and daughters. But she didn't survive the last of the child-bearing. The story goes that the last Drycon (half human and half dragon) baby was born evil, and ripped himself right out of her stomach. He grew abnormally fast. By the fourth day, he was already as tall and strong as the village's most skilled hunting men. When Zykos came back from hunting and heard of his dead lover, he wanted to avenge her, and kill the boy. The boy was named The Damned One by the village people. Unfortunately,  they underestimated The Damned One's unknown power. No one knew where it came from. Still, The Damned One defeated his father in a long and bloody battle. In his last breaths, he looked around one last time, but all he saw was the village being burned down. After killing his father, The Damned One fled, to never come back. Only few people survived the fire, and they lived to tell this tale. Her siblings later also took the same fate as their father, falling by the hand of their own evil brother.  Her father's blood was worth much gold, the king said to townsmen.
  Being part dragon, fire did not hurt her, and she was later found crying by a strange woman who took her in as her own. Now, sixteen years later, the woman she learned to love as her mother was terribly deteriorating in health. If she passes, she'll have no where to go to. Living alone in the Dark Forest, she would eventually be discovered by someone, who could not be so understanding as her mama. They would probably kill her, and bring her head to the king for a good price. 

I worte this when I wanted to write a fiction piece but I lost interest. If you're into fantasy, this might be something you'll like.