The Magician's Stone chp. 6 | Teen Ink

The Magician's Stone chp. 6

By dizzywrite GOLD, Vienna, Virginia
dizzywrite GOLD, Vienna, Virginia

If things are not going right... Go left.

Cynervus’ forces were camping at the edge of the Sahan Desert. The soldiers were sweating inside their army jackets and boots, and instead of telling jokes, they sat in silence staring at the door. They would often complain, “What is the point of coming all the way here?” or “This is the worst place we could possibly be!”

The soldiers were having a hard time siting still. They were tapping the table and kicking the table legs. Occasionally, one would suddenly stand and stomp off his temper. They were questioning the judgment of their king. Cynervus also felt like he needed help. This morning, Cynervus asked General Aeolus to meet him in his quarters.

Aeolus arrived faster than an email. He was wearing a dark green cloak and a golden helmet with a pair of small wings. His real name was Lucius Flamingle, but everyone nicknamed him Aeolus because he could run like the wind.

Cynervus was pacing right by the door, waiting for a knock. As he heard a crisp knock, he jumped over to open it. The door flew open. When he saw Aeolus, he took a deep breath. “Come on in, Aeolus, come on in.” he said.

“Thank you for coming, Aeolus.” Cynervus said with a smile.

“It is my responsibility to follow your directions, Your Majesty.” Aeolus bowed.

Cynervus cut straight to the point of the meeting, “as you know, Aeolus, we are at the edge of a vast desert. What do you think should be our next step?” His body leaned forward.

“Our only way to catch up is by going through it, Your Majesty,” Aeolus chopped the air with his hands, “if we go by sea, the wind and the currents will slow us down. We should order the soldiers to collect water and other supplies for the next day, and enter the desert afterwards.”

“Don’t you think the desert will be too dangerous?” Cynervus scratched his ear.

“Your Majesty, I believe it is the only chance we have of catching up with our enemies. If we don’t, then the whole quest will be left without any meaning.” Aeolus crossed his arms and at back in his chair.

Cynervus bit his lip, “Do you have any information about the other kingdoms?”

“Your Majesty, my spies informed me about a magical stone that is hidden in a forest in the North. It can fulfill three of its owner’s wishes. This particular stone may have been the cause of this wild goose chase.” Aeolus smirked. He pushed himself away from the table and stood up.

“Well, a small stone could certainly cause a lot of trouble,” Cynervus mumbled. “So… What should we do next?”

“Tell everyone to prepare to cross the desert.” Aeolus backed towards the door.

“Oh yes, of course. You may go and pass out your… I mean my orders to the soldiers.” said Cynervus. He looked out the window.