What happens to rappers on Halloween | Teen Ink

What happens to rappers on Halloween

November 23, 2014
By Kgrif SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Kgrif SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I woke up in my seat on the train, heart racing and mind pumping.  But I couldn’t remember why I was so anxious. The last thing I remembered was a shadow-no, a boy- the shadow of a boy, approaching me, fist drawn and aimed directly to the side of my head, making contact and then… nothing.  I would have thought about it more, but I had jumped and got off the train so I wouldn’t have missed my stop.
So I got off the A-train;  hid my earplugs underneath my snapback and my gray hoodie. I had to make sure that I was looking fresh. I was tightly clutching my pen and notepad; or as I like to call it, my heart and soul.
The dark clouds approached the sun as I hurried home in time to beat the thugs of my neighborhood.  It’s hard enough to be a Bed-Stuy rapper; it seems cruel of life to make it harder on Halloween. 
As I made it close to my house, I kept an eye out for anybody from the crew who would notice me.  I tried to not draw attention to myself, but it is kind of hard to not look suspicious when you keep bumping into little kids because you are not paying attention to where you are walking.  But something didn’t look right; the kids looked like monsters, not like the fake ones they dressed up as and pretended to be, but as actual deformed creatures, and their eyes started to appear bright red when I looked at them.  The thing that was really weird was that there was no one else out on the street; no thugs, no adults, bootleg salesmen or anything, just these kid like creatures.
Also, the houses; the houses were always decorated for Halloween, but not like this.  Fog surrounded the houses giving them an eerie glow. They did not look like the two and three story, dingy brown nasty buildings that always stood there. I figured some of the families just upgraded their decorations but something just didn’t feel right about the scene, as if I wasn’t in Bed-Stuy anymore.  Screw it, I said to myself as I brushed off my uncertainty and hurried home.
Besides the fact that I did not like this Halloween version of Bed-Stuy, I was also in a rush because I was having a hard time trying to write some new material.  It really concerned me because I am not used to being so subjected to writer’s block.  I was used to just starting out with a line and making it flow from there.  But even now, I was struggling to find the first words.  Something did not feel right with my flows.
As I let my mind run rampant with confusion,  I realized that I had walked too far and had ended up in this weird dark cloud of fog that hovered around me as if I were the center of a tornado.  I let out a little cuss and made an immediate 180; making sure I didn’t scuff my Jays.  I then looked down at my watch to check the time; and that’s when everything went straight to hell.
“Yo Kid,” I heard yelled “Kid-Killer!!”
I immediately picked up my head as I heard my rap name called.  I saw this young brother walk up to me with this annoying smirk.  He seemed about a year younger than me; he was wearing jeans with running shoes and a True Religion long sleeve shirt on.  As he came closer, I knew something was wrong; kids in Bed-Stuy run to people for only two reasons; one they really know you, and two, they are trying to jump you.  I immediately think the worst due to the fact that I have never met this kid in my life, yet he knew my rap name and he looked oddly familiar; as if I just saw him a little while ago… he’s  probably just someone watched one of my freestyles on Youtube.  He finally reached me and started to talk to me.
“You’re the rapper from Bed-Stuy right; Kid-Killer?” He asked me
“Yeah, why?”
“I knew it was you! I’ve heard about you and  your freestyle flows, you’re sick man.”
“Alright, Thanks.” I was in no mood for a random youtube fan.
“I’m a freestyler too, the name’s Big-GG.” (pronounced B.I.G double G)
“Cool.”
“Say, what are you doing out here anyways?  You’re a little far from Brooklyn, let alone Bed-Stuy.”
“What the hell are you talking about.”
“You’re in the land of Halloween man; home to all the true creatures of the night, haven’t you realized that?”.
At first, I figured Big- GG was just a little bit crazy, or even too high  for his own good.  But then I realized that  it wasn’t my imagination before. The houses weren’t even houses, they were creepy manors that you would see in lame movies.  This was definitely not Brooklyn, let alone Bed-Stuy.  I didn’t completely believe that this kid was telling me the truth or not, so I decided to play along with the little game Big-GG was playing.
“Hey man you in there?” Big  asked me
“Huh, oh yeah, my bad bro, just lost in thought.”
“It’s all good homie.”
“Say, do you know how I got here by any chance?”
“Yeah, you took the A-train after the last stop; you probably just didn’t notice.”
“Yeah… probably”.  I was starting to confirm my suspicions that this kid was high
“Don’t worry though, there’s a way for you to get back home, but it kind of sucks.”
“Can’t be that bad, kid.”
“Oh trust me Killer, it will piss you off.”
“Well, even if it does, it doesn’t matter. I kind of need to get back home.”
“Alright man, but you asked for it. Let me see your notepad real quick, though.”
“What?!?”
“Come on man, I need it.”  Big pleaded
“Why?!?” It was official, this kid was totally high
“To give you directions.”
“I’m not just going to give you my notepad man; this is my everything!!”
“I told you Killer, you weren’t going  to like the way I had to get you home.”
I paused. “You’re sure this is the only way you can get me home?”
“Yep.” The way he said that sent chills down my spine, as if he were happy that I disliked what he was telling me.
I gave him the notepad and pen, I figured he would write down the directions to the train station for me and this would all be over.  I didn’t like the idea of giving my notepad to a kid I barely knew, but I had no choice.  Plus, he started to look extremely familiar, it made my skin crawl how I felt like I knew him but didn’t.
“Say man, have we met before?” I asked.
“No way man.”.  I did not trust his answer.  It seemed ingenuine and cheap; as if he did it just to blow me off.  He smirked at me in a really suspicious manner; as if he knew I was recognizing  him.
“By the way,” Big started. “These are some nic raps you got here Killer.”
“Thanks, but not really” I said. “I can’t finish any of them”
“Damn, that must suck for you”
“Yeah, I don’t know what’s going on with me today.”
“They’re better than anything I’ve ever written…” He started to look annoyed,  as if he was jealous of my so called good raps.
“Don’t worry man, this will all be over soon.” He must have saw the look of suspicion on my face.
“You’d better be right.”
Then I started to notice something weird about the way Big was writing in my notepad; it was if he wasn’t writing anything, just reading the lines I had written on the notepad.  That’s when I started to worry.  I started to move toward him to see what he was doing.
“How are those directions going?” I asked
“Huh-oh yeah don’t worry man, you’ll be home soon.” said Big
“You wouldn’t mind me just taking a quick look would you”
“Uhhh, I don’t think that’s necess-”
I snatched the notepad from him, as if I was going to ask him if I could see my notepad.  As I took the notepad for Big GG, I turned my back to him and looked at the notepad.  That’s when I saw that Big had not written anything on the notepad.
“Dude what the -” I never finished that sentenced, Big ran up from behind me and threw a mean punch to the back of my skull, leaving me utterly helpless and unconscious.  By the time I woke up, I was laying face up in a hospital bed.
My head was knocking from this huge headache that sprang up out of nowhere.  As I soon regained self consciousness I realized that I was surrounded by all the members from my crew; they were just standing there, looking at me as if they were deer caught in headlights.
“Holy Crap!” One of them said. “He actually came through.”
“He’s awake, Finally!!”. Said another
It went on like that for a little while until I got everyone’s attention.
“Why the hell am I in a hospital bed right now with this giant ass headache?
“Killer, do you not remember anything from Halloween?”  The boy closest  to me asked.
“No, what do you mean; what day is it?”
“It’s November 1st homie.”
“What the hell happened to me?”
“This young punk jumped you for a Halloween prank, he straight up just socked you in the head while you were on the train.”
“Are you serious right now bro!?!?”
“Yeah man, no lie.”
“What did the kid look like?”
“He had on jeans, running shoes, and a True Religion long sleeve shirt on.”
“What the hell, I had a dream about that kid.  Where is he?”
“Not here, it was a hit and run. But before he left, he wrote something on your notepad bro, but I don’t think you want to...”
I didn’t even wait for him to finish; I immediately looked for my notepad, I found it at the edge of the table that was given in my room.  The notepad seemed to be in good shape, that’s when I realized that the pages of raps that I had written were gone, ripped out of the notepad in the most grotesque ways possible.
“What the hell!  Where are all my raps?” I asked
“That punk kid took them out of the notepad” one of the guys said.  “We think he wanted them for himself.”
“Of course.” I said “In my dream, that same kid told me that the raps I didn’t finish were better than anything he had ever written, right before he knocked me out...”
I was so pissed off.  The pounding hurt from my headache turned into searing rage and frustration.  I continued to look at the notepad and realized that Big GG left me a note
“... I told you that you wouldn’t like what would happen to your ass man.Only a fool would trust his soul to a devil.”