I.R.I.S. | Teen Ink

I.R.I.S.

October 27, 2014
By KTG23 SILVER, Willingboro, New Jersey
KTG23 SILVER, Willingboro, New Jersey
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.”
- Dr. Seuss


??The door to the apartment swings open.
??“Hey guys, I just got home from a long school day.  A long day at school is the worst and seems to happen all the time.  I'm a senior in college, and everything seems to be moving slower than ever.  Senior year is always the slowest.  I live in what is now the biggest and most prosperous city in all of America, Boston Massachusetts.  I bet you would have guessed New York huh?  Well if you did you were wrong, extremely wrong.  The Massachusetts Institute of Technology gained a wide range of students interested in robotics.  After robots were used in the war to end all harmful foreign relations, the US believed that robots could be used for anything.  That was maybe, a couple hundred years ago.  Anyway, students began to pay more attention to their grades, and get their degrees in engineering.  What is now probably the highest paying job known to man, is robotic engineering.  How is that possible you may ask.  Well, robots are now the thing that makes the world go round.  You will hear about robots everywhere.  Robots in South America, robots in India, and even robots in Africa.  Guess what flag is stamped on those robots, the American flag.  Robots have been around for hundreds of years.  So long, that there is no one on this earth who was living when there weren't any robots making your food or driving your buses.  It's all documented in the history books.  Can you believe that people had to type with a keyboard and not their voices?  Robots make the world around you easier to live in.  You never have to make your own food, yell at the bus driver for not taking your money, learn from a teacher who doesn't know what they are talking about.  Robots, do your laundry, they live in your house, they make your breakfast, lunch, and dinner (A pretty damn good meal too).  They even provide as a security system.  We barely have to pick up a finger anymore.  Now you might be thinking, Tyler...what about jobs?  Won't people go broke because of robots taking our jobs?  Well that's where you are wrong again!  Since we sent all of those robots to different parts of the world, America is no longer in debt.  We gained back those trillions of dollars we owed people by selling them these machines.  So as a result, America has free health care and life support for everyone.  Minimum wage has shot up.  You can get paid without even working.  We are the richest country in the world now.  The price value of necessities has shot way down.  Supply has gone up and demand has gone down.  Will you believe that gas isn't used for cars anymore?  The are all powered by electricity (extremely cheap by the way).  Now don't ask me how it all works together.  All I know is that there is a really really really big tower in the middle of Boston.  It sends some type of signal to every robot in the U.S. and that's where they handle all the money business.  Same goes for the other countries we are stationed in.  All I know is that I'm not supposed to go near it without a pass or the guards will use force.  So my robot, I.R.I.S (Intelligent Robotic Intense System) and I, live in this little apartment peacefully without any troubles.”
??Tyler walks close to the window.
??“Out this window is the most important building in the world.  The M.F.C (Magnetic Field Control) building, is extremely tall.  It towers over everything like an over protective mom.  It is the tallest building in the world as of now.  It's somewhere around 2,822 feet tall.  It blinks red all night and day long.  Apparently if it starts to blink green, then that means trouble.  Doesn't that sound backwards?  Green is bad and red is good, I live with it either way.”
??“Oh look, here is my IRIS coming out of my bedroom.” 
??"Hello Tyler, I have made your bed for you.  There is coffee brewed in the kitchen." 
??“It's voice sounds just like this guy named Morgan Freeman.  He was this famous actor and voice actor who had this smooth voice wayyyy back in the early 2000's.” 
??“See my Shifter?  Do you have one?  A lot of high level people have them.  I was lucky to win one in a IRIS contest.  It's a piece of furniture that can turn into any piece of furniture you want.  It has the same feel and look!” 
??"Recliner chair."  The couch, which was there previously, folds to create the flat part of the chair.  It gets bigger and the back of the chair stretches out.  The back of the chair leans back.  The extension of the chair, where your feet go, stretches out at the end of the chair.  Tyler goes to rest in the chair. 
??“This is my giant glass window/porch area.  You can see the M.F.C. building.  Buildings stand tall, light up brightly in the night.  No, flying do not exist.  However, the fastest car can go from zero to sixty in three seconds! Thanks IRIS, I'm not in the mood for coffee right now though.  I just wanna sleep."
??"Sleep Tyler?  OK if that's what you want"
??The lights dimmed to a low level of intensity. 
??“IRIS is programmed to recognize all types of words.  Whatever you say makes him do certain things.  Every house or apartment that can host one of these robots, is installed with something called IRIS AI (Automated Integration).  I only know that because there is huge sticker above my door on the inside that says, IRIS AI is the New House Ultimate Appliance.  The sticker has been there for a couple years though.  So now it is pretty worn down and torn up.  How it works is, whenever you say certain types of sentences, IRIS analyzes it and executes the correct task.  The robots are equipped with your voice, and only respond to you.  These robots are everything to us.  Without them, we would be helpless.  Nothing would work, and we wouldn't be able to do anything.  So, we all hope for the best.  Some say that the robots are too smart, that the robots will turn evil and take over us.  Apparently there was some movie where there were these robots who turned evil and terrorized the city.  There was this guy who was like a police detective who also wasn't fully human and stopped the robots.  My say on the matter is that, robots don't just turn evil out of the blue.  Now, I do believe that the late descendant of the creator of these robots, Dr. Luke Pennington VIII, could potentially with a couple of button presses in a computer, make the robots ‘evil’.  But, that is still is a long shot away.  These robots have been around for a while.  If anyone wanted to try to turn them against us, they would have done it a longgggg time ago.  Besides, these robots are amazing, who would want to jeopardize that?  Exactly no one!”
??"End of IRIS diary log entry number one.  Date logged, March twenty first, two thousand six hundred thirty five.  Do you want to delete this log...log deleted.  Executing IRIS diary log entry number two.”


The author's comments:

This is just an expermiment to set up a cool world.  This is just the beginning.