Magician's Stone chp. 4 | Teen Ink

Magician's Stone chp. 4

By dizzywrite GOLD, Vienna, Virginia
dizzywrite GOLD, Vienna, Virginia

If things are not going right... Go left.

The troops trekked in the knee-deep snow, their vision blocked by swirls of snowflakes. The wind howled in the ears of shivering soldiers. The Water Island army had crossed the sea, and the harsh winter storms raged above them.

Odysseus marched at the front of the army. “Hurry!” he waved his hands in the air and cried to the struggling troops, “We must procure the Magician’s Stone as soon as possible!” He held up a book and flipped through the pages. “The Magician’s Stone is rumored to be the secret to the prosperity of numerous kingdoms in the past…”

A soldier behind Odysseus whined. “It’s j-just a rumor! I don’t s-see any point of being here.” His voice trembled, and he wrapped his coat around tighter, rubbing his eyes.

Odysseus suddenly stopped mid-sentence and looked around his shoulder, biting his lip. “Sounds like you need some more education or lecturing on this topic…” He patted his hands and tucked his book back in his jacket, walking forward. The troops trailed behind quietly, with occasionally groans coming from the crowd.

Hours after the army settled for the night, the soldier scampered back to his tent, snow water trickling from his hood to his feet. His partners didn’t speak as he threw his coat on the floor and climbed into a sleeping bag, shivering.

The day was still hot and arid in Fire Bay. Hyphonon walked through the hallway of the royal castle, stepping on the smooth red carpets. He could hear every squeak of the wooden floor, every gust of hot air rattling the windows, and every voice of servants stories below.

Sitting in his office, Frageus tapped his fingers on his desk. “Hyphonon, I need yeh for a minute,” He spoke in his raspy voice. When he looked up, there was a knock on the door, and Hyphonon walked in.

“Did yeh hear somethin’ from the other kingdoms?” Frageus started speaking before Hyphonon could sit down.

Hyphonon surveyed the room. Frageus was sitting at the center of the room, his eyes just above a pile of documents on his desk. The wallpaper was covered with discolored scratches and splattered ink, and broken glass lay quietly on the floor. Frageus’ robes were tattered and his hair was ruffled. Must’ve been another temper tantrum, Hyphonon wondered. He looked back at Frageus.

“Er…Yes, part of it, Your Majesty.” Hyphonon answered, “Sir, I think that Odysseus’ march with his army is related to a magical stone. The stone can fulfill the owner’s three wishes.”

“Interestin’,” Frageus muttered, “Odysseus somehow learned about this stone, and now he’s tryin’ to get it.” Frageus looked down at a map, biting his fingernails. He stared at the position of the northern forests for a moment, and his eyes drifted past to Water Island. Then, a thought appeared in his mind.

He ordered, “Hyphonon, yeh go tell every officer that we’re movin’ on to chase down Odysseus, full force. This can’t wait.”

“Yes, sir.”