The Magician's Stone chp. 3 | Teen Ink

The Magician's Stone chp. 3

By dizzywrite GOLD, Vienna, Virginia
dizzywrite GOLD, Vienna, Virginia

If things are not going right... Go left.

A wave of warm and damp air rushed through the trees, flowing out onto the grass. Crickets croaked, and apes purred nonstop. The rainforest forms a ring around a broad plain, covered with bustling streets of towns. The marble-white palace of Greenwoods Land stood at the center, rising high into the clouds, the sunlight glancing off the golden tower tops.

Inside the palace, canvas paintings and furniture collections lined the sides of the hallways, illuminated by crystal chandeliers. Dozens of staircases zigzagged between the stories. A servant galloped through the hallway and stopped at the end, standing in front of a polished wooden door.

Panting with beads on his forehead, the servant knocked on the door gently, and turned the doorknob to push it open. “Your dinner… is served at the third floor dining room, Your Majesty.”

“Thank you, Arthur! I’ll be there in a moment.” A squeaky, high-pitched voice said. Arthur wiped his own face with a handkerchief and waited beside the door. Then, a short man with a round, childish face walked out, wearing pajamas and saggy green robes. He was Cynervus, the king of Greenwoods Land. As he waddled down the hallway, John trailed away, stepping through another door.

The royalty of Greenwoods Land lived in a huge, maze-like castle. Once one enters, it is hard to get out, even for those who lived there. Cynervus kept track of how many floors he descended from with his fingers, but forgot to count how many doors he had passed. He pushed open the door to his study room, and jumped back when he saw a crowd of messengers turning their heads to look at him.

A person standing at the front rushed forward, holding out a letter with both hands, “Sir, I have recent reports from the financial department—”

Mobs of wild men shoved past him, reaching their heads forward. “No, I am going first! We’ve been waiting for at least half an hour!”

“Folks! Calm down!” Cynervus cried, but his voice was drowned out by the din in the room. He threw his hands in the air frantically, trying to get everyone’s attention.

“How in the world can you go…”

“Please!” Cynervus threw his hands in the air and screamed. Finally, the room quieted down, and people backed up to give themselves room.

“You can go first, Stanwood.” said Cynervus. Stanwood looked pleased with him- self, while the others grimaced, glaring at him as though he were a dirty, smelly blanket.

“The following are the reports on spying the Water Island Kingdom. Number one:
The Water Island’s army is moving north, led by Odysseus. Two-thirds of their army force follows him on the mission. They are currently traveling through the polar mountain ranges by foot—”

“You are sure about this, Stanwood?” asked Cynervus. He scratched his hair.

“Yes, Your Majesty. The Greewoods Land Central Spying Agency is established in honor of the royalty, and we strive to provide the most accurate information.” Stanwood patted his badge on his arm, and looked around the room, finding everyone staring at him, their eyes seeming to bore holes.

“How about spying on Fire Bay?”

“Number one: Frageus is leading his army to follow Odysseus…”

“Stop, stop, stop.” Cynervus said.

Everyone paused.

“This is weird,” Cynervus muttered. “First, Odysseus is moving north with his army; then, Frageus went after Odysseus, as though he knew what Odysseus is up to. What is this all about?” he asked himself, and straightened his back. He looked from left to right, at the faces of his subordinates.

“I hereby announce that my army will move forth to pursue the enemy!” Cynervus held up his fist, “I will uphold this kingdom’s dignity and show Frageus our mighty power!” Cynervus paused, and waited for everyone to applaud.

Another man walked up, and asked, “Are you going to lead the quest?”

Cynervus lowered his fist and scratched his neck, smiling sheepishly. “Er… I’ll think about that tonight.”