The Creation of the Abominable Snowman | Teen Ink

The Creation of the Abominable Snowman

It was a pleasant Christmas Eve, and the children were celebrating in the attic as their parents partied down below.  The children could hear “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree” and their parent’s laughter through the floorboards.  The children were rummaging through their parent’s old boxes, trying to find things to play with.  “Look! I found a whole chest of clothes! Let’s play dress up!” exclaimed Mary.
“That’s lame, seriously. No man wants to play dress up,” replied Marshall.
“There’s a few scarves, a pipe, and an old top hat in here.  We could make a snowman!” Rosie began to get very excited.
“Okay, okay. We will go build a snowman.  I’ll run downstairs and snatch up a button and some coal from my stocking out of my parent’s closet,” Tom finally agreed as he snuck down the stairs.
When Tom came back up, Mary, Marshall, and Rosie were already dressed in their snow boots, snow pants, large bubble coats, hats, gloves, and scarves.  Mary was holding the snowman’s scarf, waving it around like a burlesque dancer.  Marshall was spinning the top hat on his finger, like a basketball.  Rosie was holding the corncob pip to her mouth, pretending to be an old, knowledgeable lady.  After Tom put on his outdoor clothes, they snuck out of the front door.
Tom and Marshall began rolling snow together and creating a massive snowball for the bottom layer.  Then, they stacked a smaller ball on top of the first, and then a smaller one on top of that.  Tom began to push the coal into the second ball, as a set of buttons on the man.  Then, he put two as the eyes for the man.  Rosie stuck on the button and corncob pipe into his mouth.  Finally, Tom placed the hat on top of his head.  The kids stood back and admired their work.  They began to smile at each other and Mary said, “I sure wish we could dance and play with him.”
Suddenly, the snowman began to glow green.  The children stared in awe, each secretly praying that their snowman would turn into Frosty.  Boy, were they wrong.  The snowman stopped glowing and smiled an evil grin.  “Hello, children! May I introduce myself? I am your worst nightmare,” he said underneath his breath.
The girls grimaced as the boys cowered in their boots.  They slowly understood that there was no way that this was any relation to Frosty, the lovable snowman.  He took three steps toward them, and they began to run.  They ran as fast as they could.
Marshall, the fastest boy in his class, was the person in the lead.  Behind him were Mary, Rosie, and Tom, in that order.  They went screaming through the front door of the house, crashing into their parents.  “Mom! Mom! Please help us.  There is an evil snowman coming after us! He is going to kill us,” each of the children exclaimed, their words becoming more and more jumbled.
Tom’s father opened up the front door and looked around outside, ready to ease the children’s minds.  “There is no evil snowman outside, children.  You are supposed to be upstairs playing, not outside. You must learn to listen!”
The children bowed their heads and walked back up the stairs, without even noticing the water dripping off each step.  When the children had taken off their coats and sweaters in the attic, they felt a lot more at ease.  “There’s no way that he can get us in here!  He will surely melt,” Rosie assured herself and the others.
The children sat down to play a board game, and began laughing and playing once again. Every once and a while, though, Mary swore she could hear the sound of ice scraping along the hard wood floor.  When Rosie stood up to go to the restroom, Tom blurted out “Look! Rosie couldn’t hold it in! She peed her pants!”
“What? No I didn’t! I don’t know what happened! There must be a leak somewhere!” Rosie insisted.
Then, the children heard a terrifying sound. A sound they had heard just an hour before.  The chuckle and raspy breath of that terrible, evil snowman.   “I’m still here,” he said “and I am not finished with you yet. There is no use in screaming, your parents will never see me.”
With the swift movement of his branchy arms, he snatched Rosie up into a dark corner.  The other children heard muffled screams, and the sounds of broken branches and choking.  After some time, Rosie was thrown back out of the corner, her mouth stuffed with coal, and a branch through her chest.
Tom and Marshall ran up and began dragging Rosie’s body away from the shadowy place, and towards the other part of the room.  Mary, however, had hidden herself within a nook in the wall.  She had locked the door, and had no intentions of letting anyone join her.  Opening the door risked letting that snowman get to her.
“Who’s next?” asked the snowman as he glided out of the corner, his front side dripping bright red.  Oddly enough, he looked like a snow cone.  The boys stood tall and strong behind Rosie’s body, hoping that they could somehow wish the snowman away, for he must have been a figment of their imagination.  After a minute, Tom broke down, and tried to run past the snowman, hoping it would attack Marshall instead.  “Uh oh, we’ve got a coward here,” said the snowman as he grabbed onto Tom’s shirt. “I say you are the next one.”
The snowman shoved a piece of coal in Tom’s mouth to muffle his sounds.  He then began to tease Tom, and eventually shoved another branch through his chest.   In the mean time, Marshall was creeping to Mary’s nook.  “Mary, let me in! Mary! Help me!” Marshall pleaded.  However, Mary would not open the door. From inside her safe spot, Mary heard the snowman drag Marshall across the floor and mutilate him, just like he had the others.  Afterward, Mary heard a gust of wind, and the sound of ice clanking on the floorboards as the snowman headed downstairs.
* * * * * * * * * * * *
In the morning, the adults went up to the attic to retrieve their children.  When they saw the horror left behind of a deceased Tom, Rosie, and Marshall, they were horrified.  Mary was placed in police custody, and repeatedly told the story of the evil snowman.  Not one person believed her “tall tale” and Mary was placed in an asylum for the mentally unwell.
As for the snowman, he resides on the mountaintops, wherever he may roam.  In the winter, he haunts the minds of every child around the world.