The Melancholy of Reality | Teen Ink

The Melancholy of Reality

September 29, 2014
By Anonymous

"I don't know when, but since then, I can't stop thinking of you in a ponytail. I think that suits

you best."
"What're you trying to pull?"

I ignored Haruhi's protests and k-
*BEEP* the computer screen that I was using to watch anime suddenly  turns pitch black, I waited impatiently for what seems to be ages and decided to follow my mischievous instinct and repeatedly press the power button. After the 14th click, the computer made the same sound again: *BEEP*, only this time something else appears on the screen, as grey texts begins to form itself on the pitch black background, I can strongly relate the similarity of this situation to the time where I waited for Online Customer support to answer me through a chat room. After a short ten seconds, the grey text showed:


:


:


UNKNOWN and my name in a chat room naming format, I haven’t been to a chat room in months, how could a program that look like a chatroom started by “UNKNOWN” appears on my computer screen? As soon as that thought was finished, I suddenly see words typed quickly at a speed that seems to rival one of the highest WPM typer in the world, the text says:


:  DO YOU WANT TO BE THE GOD OF A NEW WORLD?


If the message was not mysteriously delivered like this, I would have said yes. Of course, I wouldn’t have been serious about it because there’s no such thing as a person like me, or anyone else becoming god; but yet I resisted to type in “Yes” as a joke. I can feel something very wrong with this question, it almost feel like this is a real question from someone or something powerful enough to be able to give me the power of a god… *BEEP* went the computer as new texts from “UNKOWN” appears before me:


: PRESS DELETE IF YOU WISH FOR THIS PROGRAM TO CANCEL ITSELF
PRESS SPACE IF YOU WISH TO BECOME GOD
YOU WILL BE GIVEN EXACTLY 30 SECONDS TO DECIDE, IF YOU DO NOT DECIDE, THIS WORLD WILL END, BUT IF YOU CHOOSE DELETE, YOUR LIFE WILL RETURN TO THE WAY IT IS.


Everything seems to freeze around me, including myself… program, God,  continue, a countdown, what is this, a deception? No, that’s not it; the feeling of this being real is no longer hidden deep in my mind. I can feel it, the power that’s surrounding the question in gray texts. As soon as the message has sunk into my head the countdown was already at 15 seconds. I have to choose, I can’t let this world be destroyed, especially if it brings me along with it, with that thought out of the way, so is any idea of mine to choose neither suddenly seems to erase itself from my memory.


10 seconds - (The apartment room begins to shake violently)
Only 10 left, I have to choose, continue living this life as a loner, waiting for the day of my death where no one will mourn me, or I can become “god” and changes everything. The answer is obvious now, I have no ties to this stupid world, everything is boring and repetitive in this place, and it’s about time that I’ll be able to do something good.


5 seconds. - (I can hear people running away from the building, yet I can’t move my legs, it seems like some force is cluing me to the chair)
Was it really all that easy?


3 seconds - (Some small parts of the room begins to form small black circles that suck everything in its path and make a twisted shape of it before disappearing)
Becoming god with just one click on a computer keyboard? I doubt it would be, usually in stories there’s always a catch to these kinds of question.


2 seconds - (The black circles are getting bigger, the whole room is surrounded by them)
But there’s no time to think. I hate this world, was the last thing that I thought before deciding to be god and change this world for my own needs. BAM! went the spacebar key being slammed by my fist.


Light begins to erupt from my computer screen, dispelling the darkness in my room and of this world, as if it’s purifying the evil of this world, I can feel my own body withers away and perishes by the white light, but at the same time I feel weightless as my almost invisible body in the sudden white light envelopes the world. Sudden pain erupts from almost every part of my body, in the heat of that moment, I only did what everyone would do in a bad dream; I impulsively wished to wake up using my mouth and mind. Almost in a half of a second, a message from appeared in my mind.


: YOUR WISH HAS BEEN SCANNED, #3495 “WAKES UP” NOW BEING MADE INTO REALITY IN 5 SECONDS.


The pain seems fade away as I realized what I’ve just wished for..No! What is this? Wake up? This isn’t a dream is it? It’s not possible, I thought to myself. Everything was far too vivid, that’s right, if a wish is all it takes, I have to wish something else to counter it! I know! Make a new world where anime is actually reality! Baka I thought to myself, what kind of childish wish was that? But I didn’t really care, I have to do something, anything quickly.


: YOU MUST WAIT 30 SECONDS BEFORE CREATING ANY MORE WISH.


“That’s right, this is all a hoax.” I said out loud before laughing like a mad fool when I realized what this has all been. The world in this dream was made from the fantasy of my mind and reality combined. What a deadly combination this is, giving me such a vivid and cruel imagination. There’s no such thing as becoming a god, or supernatural things like these happening, this is all a delusional dream made up from my pathetic fantasy. This is how cruel reality is, we are given all of these fantasies just so we can dream and imagine it to push away reality, only to face it again one day, and when that time comes, it’s a lot worse.
Minutes that seems like years passed on before I realized that I have awoken from the deep slumber that I’ve been through just a few minutes before, the vivid feel of the pain and everything surrounding me in that “dream” seemed so surreal that it seems to have burned itself into my mind, but even so, that is the least of my worry because I have seem to be awoken in a prison cell, and to be true to my words, the room seemed so clean and simple I would have just thought it was a normal room, that is, if I didn’t take the time to look at the unusual black-colored bars that seem to have blocked my ability to leave the room, interesting enough, it didn’t block my sense to look outside.  Pushing that thought aside for later on, I looked around the room to find another unusual object, a cozy pod the shape of a coffin that is able to fits me inside of it, and I seem to have slept inside of it all this time… Suspicion began to draws to my mind and I instinctively took a step forward the black bars to look outside.

I immediately regret my decision, there seem to be an infinite numbers of cells like mine, all of them looked and have the same pod as I do, except all of them was fitted with a human body, all except for mine. The thought have been in my mind for a while now, what I see before me had just confirmed and worsen it. The world that I have been living in my whole life was nothing but a lie, it was the other way around all this time, our dreams was something real from the world that I have just awoken to, while the “cruel reality” was just a dream made happen by forces in this room. The place that I’m standing in right now is part of a new world that no one have yet discovered, with the exception of me and possibly the beings who made us like this, that’s right, I have discovered something that I shouldn’t have, or was it the other way around? Could this world have been the one that “they” have been hiding from us? Either way, I can get out of here and discover the truth. I have the power of a god after all. Focusing all the will I have left in one single wish, the message suddenly appears before me:


: DESTROY CELL BLOCKADE INITIALIZED.