The Day of Sirens | Teen Ink

The Day of Sirens

By Issac Miller BRONZE, Paragould, Arkansas
Issac Miller BRONZE, Paragould, Arkansas

In the year 2069 the earth was shattered. Every chance of hope for the human race demolished. But with all stories there is the choice. To be or not be good or evil. 98% of all stories choose to be good natured. This however, is 1 of the 2%.

September 12, 2069…

In the remains of an urban city floating almost 3,000,000 miles away from its original position lies the wreckage of a fallen sky scraper. The air smells toxic as if corpses were just laying everywhere. Kendon could only tip toe through the dead bodies at his feet. As he got through the incapacitated horde he grew weaker than usual. His body wearing down from climbing the mountains of debris, He only continued because in the distance he could hear a faint scream, “HELP, PLEASE, ANYBODY!”

Kendon’s full name is William Kendon Perkins. He is 6’3” and is about as thick as a toothpick on his good days. Wearing only a hoodie and a tattered pair of Nike shorts he clawed his way to what he hoped was his true love.
Scrummaging through the devils trap she had fell in laid an 18 year old by the name of Melissa Perkins. She is 8 months pregnant and somehow didn’t lose the baby during the time of planet fall. She weighed around 124 pounds with the baby fat she gained from the last few months and was a foot shorter than Kendon. Even though she is weak and can barely breathe straight. She musters up one last call,

“HELP”, she screams.

Through the dead silence of the air Kendon’s voice cuts through, “I’M COMING!”

Within minutes Kendon was by her side calming her down with sweet words about the alarming situation. As the night grew darker they kept noticing crackling noises. They repeated every 3 seconds for hours on end. Then it happened. Sirens started blaring, alarming every creature and soul in space of the young couple position. The sirens stopped for a brief moment. Then the 2 were attacked. Only pieces remain with just the 2 lips parched perfectly on one another’s remaining. And even to this day all you can hear is the screaming of a healthy young baby girl.