A Day Past Death | Teen Ink

A Day Past Death

By CynthiaRios BRONZE, Garner, North Carolina
CynthiaRios BRONZE, Garner, North Carolina

Don't Dumb Yourself Down Into a Life of Stupidity

A Day Past Death

It seems as if we all come from different backgrounds, some more distinct than others but out there in the universe comes different dimensions. In the infinite dimension existence lays many possibilities; I live in a universe in which our destiny is determined in our time of birth, in which your death is tattooed on your wrist; it could be a precaution, a gift, or a curse.
Even a small change makes a big difference, and it amazes me how some ink can determine your fait, your life and at any given moment your soul being destroyed and given to the devil on a silver platter.
  I was set to face death, as of this moment I am facing fear right in the eye to overcome the odds of the end of a small life. I have so much to live for, I know I've come this far and sitting has come with rewards but I might be breathing my last breath considering I was set off to die yesterday.
Locked in my home fearful of the outside world I have a decision, to live life normally, stay in here the closest thing to safety, or to live life to its fullest while I have the chance. The question is how to live life? I'm not even sure I know what is life. It's like I'm on fire and as I'm in flames I don't know what "Stop, drop and roll" even means.

...

She realized the worst part had not yet come, aside from death her tattoo was visible for the world to see, it was right on her wrist. Everyone would be curious, and out of the billions of people in the world one could be the cause of her death. As she realized this she decided to step out only to see a riot. How did people know? It's not as if she went around telling people she was dying the day after. She told the people she cared about, even if they didn't care about her.
People had realized she was alive past her time and suddenly they said passing the limits was a forbidden sin that was unforgivable. It wasn't her choice. It wasn't in her hands to decide whether she would die or not. If she is still alive she wasn't going to risk it but by this point suicide was the first thing to come to mind.
To be fair she wasn't expecting a parade. But then again she wasn't expecting anything at all. She couldn't say a word and just thought while staring in to the crowd of angry people yelling because she "lived past her time."
It was not her destiny; there was no friend out there in the world that could help her. It was as if she had been shunned and to her the word family wasn't even in her vocabulary.
She had a hard enough life.
Through all the yells and all the screams of injustice Maxie could barely understand the man offering help.
...

This man could be a prisoner, a rapist but as of the moment he might be my only chance to a future, a future in which I would be alive and for some weird reason I felt as if I could trust him.
"Who are you, and why did you help me" This question had been on my mind the whole three minute car ride.
"I'm John." I heard a small pause. "I made a vow to help those in need but as I have recently been given the opportunity to make a difference I decided who needs more help than someone like me, someone appearing invisible by their own family and friends."
I sat there awaiting an explanation but couldn't process it through my head, why would this "John" help me and in another case why would I trust him?
...

She seemed to be to sit there in fear, I could see it in her eyes but suddenly it seemed by one look I could see inside her soul. Although I could see the fear in her, I hoped she could not see the fear in me. I was hiding a secret, it was one that if revealed it could cost me my job. The one reason I decided to help her. Not that it was ever my choice. 
She sat there but wouldn't stop staring at me, did she know? After she managed survived past her death that the possibility for a longer life would be cut short. The sad part is, it would be cut short by me.
...
He seemed to have no expression on his pale face. In fact, it seemed to be just as fearful as I was at that moment. I had to get out for some air; luckily we stopped as soon as I asked
"I know you are fearful Maxie, but I was once in your shoes," He proceeded to pulling up his sleeve.
January 9th, 1983
"I was too scared and my family abandoned me but I was given a gift, I had to fake my death but this has gone to the news, soon it will go internationally but you have one job;
"To Survive."
"I never told you my name."
He looked at me with shock I think he was hiding something but for a strange reason I didn't want to believe he lied.
"It's all over the news."
We decided to end the silence by turning on the radio only to switch channels over and over again but each one announced my name, I slammed the button to turn it off.
He began to drive but to where? Suddenly I realized living life to it's fullest would not be a possibility, buying food or anything else for that matter would be nearly impossible if my face was printed nationwide, and I was with a man I did not know yet was expected to trust?
Would I survive?
How would I die? Starvation? Panic attack? "John"?

...

All I could hope is that she had not realized my work for the national government had been pointed to her. Even though I could kill this girl at any moment she was different. She was young and did not yet experience the gift of life but had instead covered it with a curse.
I was sixteen when I was set to face death but my father worked for the government and in shorter terms I made a deal with the devil. I sacrificed other lives for mine.
But why was Max different?
She was the only one I felt guilty of killing.
...
I scratch the bug bite on my arm.
"Are those cuts?"
I turned my back to him and looked at the window.
"Listen you could trust me."
"Do you really want to know?"
He looked at me and I finally gave in. Sure I had a tough life, I had a story and the reason I hadn't lived life to its fullest is because I had no life, I had no friends all I had were the scars deep in to my heart.
"As I entered middle school I entered a new life where my friends helped me the most but they weren't strong enough because they didn't know. They didn't know the reason I was covered in layers of clothing was because I had physical scars. My mom with anger beat me and my home was stolen by the bank to a cockroach and rat filled apartment in which now I envy being homeless. The only reason I was in a house is because my friends said I could be with them in my last moments until they left and told the press and my mother left the state a few months ago, she was the bright spot of my life considering my dad died in a car accident. Now she is gone, she left. I would've thought by now there would be no place to go but up. Guess not."
"In fact my mother is going to die today. It's a blessing for the both for us."
No one understood me but I could admit it. I'm surprised I didn't jump out of the car and end the nightmare at that moment.

...

I began to cry.
Suddenly he made a sharp turn around. I wondered where we were going but I asked no questions. I saw him from the corner of my watery eyes dialing and speaking in a foreign language. This made me suspicious but instead of asking questions I kept to myself as all the memories flowed in like a tsunami and pain went directly to my heart.
They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, then why do I feel so weak?

...

John called his boss immediately using his government resources as a way to let this girl live her life. While Maxie felt the wind blow through her curly hair of dark chocolate as they approached the highway. Maxie had fallen asleep. She didn't understand life as it was and death would be her exit.
After hours she awoke suddenly as there was a sudden stop. They had arrived at a small cottage in the woods.

...

"Where am I?"
"You'll find out."
I looked at him with disbelief, he wouldn't tell me and suddenly my trust in him went away. Why did I still trust this stranger? What's happening? Where am I? I managed to freak out on the inside but not the outside.
"Maxie, Maxie" He snapped twice outside and I was still sitting in the car.
I had zoned out. I hurried to the front door and he knocked but something wasn't right. The welcome mat, it was from my childhood even the paint stain from my kindergarten project was still there. I remember my mom opening the door and pulling me and giving me a hug and always said with my touch I made everything more beautiful.
And then I saw my mom standing there, looking me directly in my eyes.
This time I wasn't imagining.

...

She stepped forward as if this was an unrealistic dream.
"Maxie." She said in a soft yet hurt voice as she began to cry. Maxie stood there, heartbroken and marched out. He tried to help her but ended up breaking her down to pieces. Maxie may have felt pain numerous times in her life but she was still as fragile as a vase and each time she was pushed she never broke but this was the final straw. Maxie ran but not for her life, for her death.
Her mother chased her and behind John followed.
"Max, you don't understand."
"Understand what? How you left our family broken and homeless."
She continued to march off in to the furthest point of the forest.
"I was as upset as much as you."
"Sure." Maxie marched quicker each step after that sarcastic comment.
"Maxie, wait!" John exclaimed.
"Your so young why are you throwing your life away?"
"I thought by now you'd realize, I NEVER HAD ONE, and I don't deserve to live any longer, you should have let that riot kill me. I'd die happier because at least I could make them happy."
"What do you want? Don't you get it?" She came across a cliff and leaned forward swallowing a pill before she took another step forward and as she fell to the ground he grabbed her hand.
"Let go, haven't you done enough?"
"I know you, I know there is so much more to you." John used all his force to pull her up. He could've finished the job right there but that was no longer the priority.
  By hearing that she went in for a hug by this point everyone, even John was crying.
Maxie pulled away and had a realization of the pain she had inflicted on her mother. She pulled her up and gave her a hug. John felt that the hug said it all. It showed how much she cared.

...

We next walked in silence to Maxie's mother's home. The cozy atmosphere made them feel safe and gentile.
"I'm Paz" Maxie's mother said directing to John.
"It means hope in Spanish," A short moment of silence arose.
"Why did you leave?" Maxie said anxious for an answer. Her face didn't stay dry for long as tears rolled down her eyes.
"Your father died, we were broke.' She tried to make an explanation. By this point Maxie couldn't understand her mother through her crying. This made her feel more confident and this was the feeling she would like to die with, comfort and honesty.

...

I awoke when a pillow was pushed towards my face making it hard to breathe. I kick my attacker in the stomach and managed to see it was my mom. I ran and yelled but John had noise canceling headphones on so I knew I didn't have time to get him.
For the proceeding seconds everything was like a game of dodge ball except for one difference, they were lamps and pictures and as each picture hit the wall a dart shot me in the heart.
I ran to the upper floor where John was I shook him but his deep sleep only made him mumble. He peacefully slept I was a human target waiting to be hit. I suddenly grabbed a lamp and with one hit my mother fell to the ground.
I killed my mom. How did her tattoo know? 11:47 PM, right before the next day was coming.
I I killed my mom. I thought I could die happy knowing we could make up but it was a fantasy. It was a dream world; a Utopia but I knew it was a lie. In my heart I knew it was a game.
A game that I failed at and terribly I scared John as he awoke.
...

A dead body; right under Maxie's feet. He took off his headphones and looked in silence for several minutes
What was he thinking?
"It's... It's ... It's not.... I couldn't do anything like this she attacked me... She..." Maxie began to cry. How could Maxie be capable of killing her mother?
"I'm... I'm not capable of this... Murder."
"I was asleep but I noticed... My mom, Paz... She was standing over me covering my face with a pillow and I kicked and screamed until I knocked got the lamp and.... Killed... I killed her!" She broke down and fell on her mother covering herself in her own mother's blood. John continued to stay there in silence until he finally spoke.
"I... I believe you."
Maxie held up her head in shock. A stranger believed her more than any friend or and family member.

...

She said, "John, Thank you." Just as she turned around her life flashed before her eyes.
"Goodbye Max"

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences

Story About An Alternate Demension and A girl Living through life struggles past her time

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences