The Seven | Teen Ink

The Seven

By R.D.Bookworm SILVER, Moundsview, Minnesota
R.D.Bookworm SILVER, Moundsview, Minnesota

The leaves soared down from the tree branches in a rainbow from crisp emerald green to soft easygoing yellow to a blaring red. The trees arms reached out over my head attempting to devour all the sun light greedily. My sights were focused forward, so that I may not stray from the path. The gravel crunched almost inaudibly under my feet as I continued my journey down the path. ‘They are following me I can feel it.’ The words came to my mind and it was clear as day that it was true. The rustle of the bushes and crunching of the leaves off in the distance gave them away.

‘I must not run nor say a word, or else they may suspect that I know.’  Keeping my pace constant I listened to the silence of the forest. Not a bird or a squirrel pierced the silence that was upon me.  ‘They are here, and they are getting closer. Don’t look back. Keep your eyes on the path. Don’t think about their presence. Focus. Stay focused!’ I pleaded my mind not to wander to the thought. The silence. The silence that only they bring. I let out an unexpectedly loud breath, a breath that I did not know I was holding. Whispers erupted from behind me like the leaves as a storm begins.  Cursing under my breath I began to run. Running. Running. Never look back. Don’t ever look back!

Everything became a blur a wild crazy blur. Sounds mixed with colors, thoughts mixed with memories. “Help!” I screamed as loud as my lungs were able to. I was falling into their web. A web that once you are entangled in there is no way out of. Memories began to flash in my eyes. I sank to my knees preparing for them to feast upon me. Nothing. Everything had vanished. Silence. I blinked in realization. “Huh?” I asked confused. Spinning around I came across an old man. His beard was long with dirt and who knows what tangled into it. His head was bald, and his left eye twitched crazily. “They are gone for now, girl. Best if ya’ follow me.” He said altogether appearing insane. I sucked in a breath. “So what ya’ looking for, young lady?” asked the crazy man. “Nothing.” I mumbled untrustingly. “Now that’s a lie! A lie girl! A lie! Ain’t no one ever come to this place for nutin’! I’z senses ya’ come from far away. Ya’ have to be looking for something.” exclaimed the crazy man. Looking at the ground I let out a sigh looking for a place to begin. “It’s a long story, but it all started with one word.” I stated emotionlessly. “A word ya’ say? Strange…so what are ya’ searching for?” he asked curiously. I paused in the dim light that squeezed through the leaves, looking up into the man’s eyes. “I am looking for the seven.” my eyes dulled at the words.