As The World Falls Down | Teen Ink

As The World Falls Down

By Tobi_Phantom BRONZE, Indian Trail, North Carolina
Tobi_Phantom BRONZE, Indian Trail, North Carolina

Some people come into our lives and leave footprints on our hearts, other make us want to leave footprints on their faces.

I’m floating, I’m completely numb. All I can see is black. I like it; this peace. ‘Am I dead?’ As soon as that thought ran through my mind everything came rushing back. I remember the attack, the fear, the pain. I remember what it looked like when the sky was suddenly filled with spaceships and purple lasers rained down. I could hear the ear-piercing screams.
All of a sudden I’m back on Earth and slowly opening my eyes. I sat up and realized I was under a fallen tree. The branches were all around, blocking my view of my village; a near-by boulder was what saved me from being crushed to death. I was lucky it was there.
I crawled out from under the tree and screamed at what I saw. Everything had been destroyed; nothing had been spared. I could see the dead bodies of my fellow citizens lying around. They were burnt and scraped and bruised and from what I could see no one survived.
“Is anybody there?” I shouted out, then winced.
Yeah, scream, great idea! Way to let those monsters know You’re still alive! Why not just shout ‘Hey! You missed me! Come and kill me!’ Idiot!
I was so focused on belittling myself that I barely heard it when I got a reply. It was weak and I could hardly hear it, but someone called out “Over here!” It came from a nearby building.
I ran over to it and once inside I saw another body; only this one wasn’t dead. It was a boy; he looked rather tall and handsome with pale skin and long black hair. He was on his back so I could see his blood red eyes.
“Hey dude, are you ok?” I asked as I helped him up.
“Y-yeah I think so.” His voice was shaky, but it was still a deep, rich, baritone. I got weak-kneed from just that short sentence.
I helped him over to a pile of rubble suitable for sitting before asking what he remembered. I hoped he at least remembered the aliens; I really didn’t want to explain that.
“Not much; just that those aliens attacked. They killed everyone here and would have killed me too, but I hid in a crevice and they didn’t see me. By the way, I’m Ivan.”
I smiled sadly at him, “Toni. What should we do now? I don’t think anyone else survived.”
Ivan ran a hand through his hair and sighed, “We should probably look around from supplies and a place to stay. We should also check and make sure no one else made it too. But we’re not splitting up, you’re staying with me.”
I nodded hurriedly, glad to have someone tell me what to do. Normally I’d be pissed, but this is a special occasion. As we got up and headed out, I realized just how tall Ivan is; a good foot or so taller than me.
A few hours later we had searched most of the town. We hadn’t found any survivors but we had found some good supplies. Unfortunately all the houses had been destroyed and were uninhabitable.
“Are we the only ones who survived?” I squeaked, and then blushed a deep red. Ivan chuckled, which was weird considering the situation, and ruffled my short blond hair. He then sobered up.
“I think so. It certainly seems that way. It’s getting dark though; we should find some shelter for the night.”
I nodded, “My house isn’t that far from here, we could go see if it survived.”
Ivan grunted in agreement and we started for my place. Finally, I have a chance to contribute something. I hope my house survived enough, we really need some sufficient shelter.
When we got to my house I nearly jumped for joy when we saw it had survived. It wasn’t much; only a small one-story house, but it was home and it was shelter. I glanced up at Ivan to see if he approved and blushed again when he caught me looking. He chuckled and ruffled my hair again effectively causing my blush to deepen.
“Good suggestion Toni, it seems your house survived. That’s rather relieving. Now we can have a permanent resident instead of moving around.”
I smiled, happy that Ivan had survived. This would be a thousand times worse without him. We walked inside my house and I was glad he didn’t say anything about the door not being locked.
XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Later that night after we had eaten, I showed Ivan to my parent’s bedroom. I told him my room was just across the hall so if he needed anything he could come get me. Now I was lying on my bed thinking over everything that had happened today.
No one survived. My parents and all my friends are dead. Everyone’s dead. Why did I survive and not them? I’m nothing special, I should’ve died with everyone else. At least then I wouldn’t have this gaping hole in my heart. At least I wouldn’t be alone.
I reached up to rub my eyes and was surprised to find I was crying. I didn’t even realize I had started. Now that I knew though, it got worse. I soon was full-out sobbing; I could barely breathe. I curled up in a tight ball trying to stop shaking. I just got louder and louder to the point where I was wailing in anguish. I briefly thought about how I was bothering Ivan but the pain overrode it.
I gasped when I felt strong arms encircle me. I was pulled back against a hard chest and I looked up to see Ivan. I realized he was holding me. Instead of making me feel better this act of kindness just made it worse. I held on to him as if my life depended on it; crying into his chest. He didn’t try to hush me or make those annoying noises people make when someone’s crying or tell me everything would be alright. He simply held me. Soon enough I had calmed down with only the occasional hiccup. I pulled away and wiped my eyes.
“Thanks.” I muttered. I refused to look him in the eye in case he thought less of me now.
“Toni, look at me.”
I shook my head then gasped when he grabbed my chin and forced me to look at him. In his red eyes I saw no contempt, no annoyance; instead they were bright with concern.
“Toni I don’t think less of you. It’s ok to cry; you’ve been through a traumatic experience. No one could go through this without doing so. I know it hurts now but trust me; the pain will fade. It may never fully go away but it will dull and you will feel better.”
I nodded, then yawned. I smiled sheepishly as Ivan chuckled.
“Get some sleep. I’ve got something big planned for tomorrow. I think it will help take your pain away.” There was a strange glint in his eyes as he said this, but I didn’t think anything about it. In any case, I was too tired to even if I wanted to.
“Um, I know this is kinda strange considering we just met and all but, I know I’m gonna have nightmares and I was wondering if you’d sleep in here with me.” I looked down, my face on fire. I hate admitting weakness. Ivan agreed and climbed into my bed; I scooted over to give him room. He wrapped his arms around me. Warmth radiated off of him.
Maybe I’m not so alone. At least Ivan’s here.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
The next morning when I woke up I got quite a shock. Apparently I had moved during the night and was now even more cuddled up to Ivan. My legs had become intertwined with his and my body was right up against his. My head was on his chest and I could hear his rhythmic heartbeat. It was rather soothing so I closed my eyes to see if I could get anymore sleep. It was then that things took a turn for the weird.
Just as I was on the verge of sleep I heard a funny noise. I wasn’t sure what it was so I just brushed it off. A few minutes later I heard it again, only it was louder and I could tell what it was; a moan. My eyes snapped open when I felt Ivan start to move. He was pulling me even closer, if that was possible. He was also slightly rolling over to where he was practically on top of me! I started wriggling around; trying to get up, when I felt something hard poking my leg. Ivan moaned louder and hugged me even tighter. My face was redder than his eyes at that point!
‘What’s going on? What is Ivan doing? He’s not having a- No! He can’t be, that’s just crazy. Holy s***, get him off me!
What happened next I will never forget; Ivan moaned my name. It was drawn out, husky, and the sexiest thing I’ve ever heard. My freaked-outedness then went through the roof! I pushed Ivan off of me, got out of bed, and ran to the bathroom, all the while praying he wouldn’t wake up. Once in the bathroom I turned on the sink and splashed some cold water on my face in hopes of cooling down. I looked in the mirror and stared at my reflection. My face was beet red, my green eyes wide and frightened, and my hair was looked like a birds nest. In order to calm down (and avoid facing Ivan) I decided to take a shower. Once in there, I started panicking.
He was having a wet dream. He was having a wet dream while wrapped around me. He was having a wet dream about me. Holy s***, what am I gonna do? How am I going to be able to face him after this? What if he had woken up when I ran out of the room! Oh please, God, let him still be asleep! This’ll be awkward enough without him knowing what happened.
I let out a long sigh as I stepped out of the shower. I looked around and nearly screamed in frustration. I had forgotten to grab clothes and I didn’t want to put my pj’s back on. I wrapped a towel around myself and opened the door a bit. I stuck my head out and saw Ivan lying on the bed. Luckily he was still asleep. I ran over to my closet and quickly grabbed my favorite red t-shirt and jeans. After grabbing my bra and panties from my drawers I walked back into the bathroom.
When I walked back out (fully clothed) I saw Ivan was just waking up. He slowly sat up in the manner of someone who is obviously not a morning person. His black hair somehow stayed straight and silky looking and his red eyes were dazed with sleep. His smiled slightly when he saw me and stretched.
“Good morning Toni, did you sleep well?” His voice was calm and relaxed; not at all like someone who had just had a dream like he did.
“Yes, I did. Thank you for staying with me; it really made me feel better. How did you sleep? I hope my moving around didn’t bother you.” I tried my best to keep my voice even and my face straight. I was relieved when he didn’t notice my discomfort.
“Very well and not at all; I find it comforting to be held after something tragic happens.” He smiled again and I couldn’t help but smile back.
XXXXXXXXXXX
A few hours later Ivan and I were walking through our village. I was excited to see what it is Ivan wanted to show me but the destruction kinda killed the mood.
“So, what is it you’re taking me to see again?” I asked, putting on my cutest face.
Ivan just smirked at me. “I told you you’ll see when we get there.” I rolled my eyes, being patient was never something I was good at. I was ready to scream by the time Ivan finally said we were there.
“So, where is it?” I looked around but didn’t see anything. He had taken us to a barren field.
Maybe there’s something here I’m just not seeing. Or he’s crazy.
I jumped when Ivan whispered in my ear, “Close your eyes.” I nodded and shut my eyes. I felt his presence move away from me and heard a strange sound. It was a buzzing, not very loud but enough so that you could hear it.
“Ivan?”
“Just wait a few more moments Toni.” Ivan’s voice was farther away and excited. I sighed, trying to imagine what it could be. The buzzing stopped and I felt Ivan come back and take my hand. He led me forward until I felt my feet hit metal. We walked for a little bit before we stopped.
“Ok, open your eyes.” Ivan’s voice echoed a bit. I opened my eyes and gasped; Ivan had taken me inside a spaceship. I turned to him with a thousand questions in my mind but was unable to ask any when we locked eyes. The pure love and adoration in his eyes took my breath away; and turned my blood to ice.
“Ivan?” He hushed me and took my face in his hands. His eyes searched mine. I pulled away and took a few steps back; ignoring the hurt his face showed and took a deep breath.
“Ivan, what is this? Why are we here?” I tried to keep my growing fear out of my voice. Ivan took a step forward and reached for me; I took a step back. This continued until my back hit the wall and he put his arms on either side of me, cutting off my escape.
“Toni, I need you to listen to me with an open mind. Can you do that?” I nodded, unable to do anything else. “Good. Now to answer your first question; this is my spaceship. I am one of the aliens that have invaded your planet. We are here so I can take you back home with me.”
“What, why?” I cried before Ivan hushed me again.
“You are coming with me, whether you like it or not. The reason why is that I love you. I’ve been watching you ever since I came to this planet.”
WHAT? He’s been watching me? What the hell!
“Toni? Are you listening to me?” I refocused on Ivan and saw confusion in his gaze.
“Yeah, sorry. I was just flipping s***.” He smiled as if it were a joke. “So why were you watching me?” My voice trembled.
“At first I was simply studying the typical human female behavior, but the more I watched you the fonder I grew of you. I enjoyed being around you, enjoyed seeing you happy. I didn’t realize I loved you until that one night you were almost taken from me.” I remembered that night; it was the night I almost died.
I had been cornered in an alleyway on my way home from the hospital where I worked. I had noticed a few men following me but hadn’t thought anything of it. When I turned a corner and saw I had walked into an alley the men had attacked me. I’m not sure exactly what had happened but I do remember waking up in my home, safe and sound.
“After that I knew I had to have you. When my people came to destroy your planet I knocked you out and kept you on my ship until it was safe to let you out. I knew you wouldn’t come with me willingly which is why I pretended to be a survivor.” Ivan leaned in close, “And now that you’re here, you’ll never leave me.” And with that he kissed me.
My eyes widened as his lips touched mine. He kissed me slowly, sweetly. He wasn’t rough or demanding and that made it hard to pull away. I gasped when he bit my bottom lip and his tongue roamed my mouth lazily. It rubbed against mine and I couldn’t help but moan. I felt him smirk against my mouth.
Pull away; pull away! Come on, what’s wrong with me?
My eyes widened as I realized I was kissing back. Quickly, I bit down on Ivan’s tongue. Hard. Ivan realed back and stared at me in shock. He had the nerve to be surprised.
“I’m not going with you; you were an idiot for even thinking so!” I spat; ignoring Inner’s protests. Ivan stared into my eyes in a way that made it seem as if he could see my very soul. I could hardly stand to look in his eyes but couldn’t bear to look away. Then he smirked.
“You’re tough, but you can’t win this. Toni, you can’t escape me; your very being craves me. You’re mine, and I will have you.” I gaped at him.
Just who does he think he is? I belong to no one! If he thinks I’m going down without a fight, he is dead wrong!
“I don’t belong to you Ivan.” I spat out his name like it was poison. “And I’m not going anywhere with you. How dare you believe you can do this to me! You destroyed my home, my friends, my family! They’re all dead because of you. I hate you!” By the time I finished tears were streaming down my face. Ivan looked like he had been slapped. He closed his eyes and for moment the only sound was that of my laboured breathing.
Suddenly Ivan smirked. He opened his eyes, took a step forward and grabbed my wrists. He pinned me against the wall despite my struggles and sank his teeth into my neck. I cried out in shock and pain, my vision already fading. My strength was going too and I pretty much collapsed against Ivan. He released my wrists and picked me up bridal style.
“I’m sorry I had to do this Toni.” I could barely hear him. “Don’t worry though, you’ll see soon enough that this is for the best.”
He set me down on what I assume was a bed and covered me with a blanket. I heard his footsteps fade as he walked away. The last thing I heard was the sound of the ship taking off.
XXXXXXXXXX
Two Years Later
“Beautiful night, isn’t it Toni?” Ivan asked. We’re standing on the balcony of his home. I’ve lived here for two years now but it will never be home. I’ve given up fighting though; I know there’s nothing I can do.
“Feels like it. Sure be nice if I could see it.” Two years since the Earth was destroyed, since my family died, since I was kidnapped. Two years of being blind.
“I’ve told this before Toni. As soon as you accept that you’re my mate, you’ll get you sight back.” I might not fight anymore but I know I’ll never accept him. Not like that.
“I guess I’ll be blind forever then.” I heard Ivan sigh and he took my hand. He led me back to our room and I crawled into bed. He laid down beside me and kissed my temple.
“I love you.” Ivan whispered.
I fell asleep.