Chapter one: A twisted fate | Teen Ink

Chapter one: A twisted fate

By EmLouise1998 BRONZE, Laidley Heights, Other
EmLouise1998 BRONZE, Laidley Heights, Other

Violet stared out of her bedroom window absently as she brushed her wavy auburn hair, deep in thought of the previous day’s events. It was a normal day; spent with her childhood friends, Aiden, a bright and bubbly blonde haired boy whose smile could stop a war mid battle and whose mother was a sorceress and Aaron, who had a tendency to fall into dark moods being son of a drunken stable hand. Growing up Violet had never taken a liking to the other children, they thought she was weird and she felt the same towards them. Until she met Aaron and Aiden, who she always felt at ease around, even now in their sixteenth year. They had spent the day together exploring the area surrounding the Rilorn docks, balancing on large slimy rock pool clusters and having sand fights which resulted in disapproving looks from passing nobles who thought sixteen year olds should have something better to do, especially Violet, being the Princess of Rilorn.

The trio sat in silence as they watched the golden sun set over the sparkling water.  Aaron absently played with sand, his mind occupied. The group sat in silence for a few moments before Aaron broke the silence. “Do any of you ever feel…like you’re not good enough for this world?” Aaron asked flatly.

“No. Not really.” Aiden replied.

Violet and Aiden sat concerned for their friend, but shifted uncomfortably at the morbid turn the conversation had taken.

“Why do you ask, Aaron?” Violet said concerned by her friends discerning question.

“Well, I feel like there’s not much here for me. I mean, in a few years we’ll all be going our separate ways, you, Violet , will be busy being married off to some snobby noble, and you, Aiden will be busy studying magic. I mean the best I could do is become a drunken fool who takes pleasure in beating his family, I could become my father.” He said numbly.

Violet wrapped her arms around the boy trying to comfort him.

“It probably won’t be like that, man,” said Aiden in an attempt to soothe the worry of his friend “You can choose how you live; you don’t have to be like your father.” 

“Well I’ve already chosen.” Aaron said in a morbid tone.

The words echoed through Violet s mind as she stared at the ominous rain clouds threatening to spit gloom onto the landscape below. While the farmers would enjoy the water for their crops, the merchants in the city wouldn’t appreciate a day out of business, but it was something they would have to live with. As she watched the bustling city below, she couldn’t shake off a feeling of dread that lurked in the stiff air. There was a light knock at the door. The princess placed her hair brush on the mahogany dressing table. “Come in.” She called out gently.

It was the mousy house maid. She didn’t make eye contact with the young princess looking everywhere but her direction. She looked burdened to be there. “There’s news of your young friend, Aaron, Highness.” She said meekly. “We received news this morning that his father murdered him after an argument.” She said awkwardly.

A look of confusion and anger crossed the princess’s face; she felt her heart beating rapidly in her chest and she found herself short of breath. “This is a joke, right?” she barked, sounding harsher than she meant it to. With the princesses’ anger rising, the braziers against the wall burned furiously causing a look of fear to cross the maids face.

“I’m sorry Highness; it’s only my duty to deliver the news.” She said mechanically.

The princess’ heart felt like it was being crushed as she crumpled to ground crying out in agony. A sudden storm of rain fell onto the kingdom, falling like the tears of the girls emerald eyes. The maid’s eyes widened as she backed toward the door way. The princess heard the maid gargling and looked up to see what was happening, distracted from her grief the rain stopped falling and the flames returned to normal. She had a bloody sword poking out from her stomach. Blood poured out of her mouth as she choked and coughed, the sword was pulled out of the woman and her lifeless body dropped to the floor creating a pool of blood on the cobble stone. Two guards stepped into the room the one that stabbed the maid wiped her blood from his sword using the yellow cloth that was draped over his armour. The men advanced on the princess as she clambered to her feet they began to corner her but fell short when they left a gap for her escape. The men automatically turned toward her and one swung, slashing her arm with the insanely sharp point. She felt the searing pain and put her hand on the source, she looked at her hand that was now covered in sticky blood. She replaced her hand on her arm as she continued toward the spiral staircase; she stumbled down clumsily with adrenaline rushing through her veins she ran until she hit a wall of flesh. She looked up to see her mother looking at her. Violet took comfort in the gaze of her mothers’ chocolate brown eyes. Queen Eliza gathered Violet in her arms. Violet looked up to see her plump father her standing protectively over his family.

“What is the meaning of this?” King Orin boomed.

“It’s time for the royal family to die.” The first guard sneered.

The King pulled out his sword, kissed the princess on the head and launched toward the men posing as guards. The Queen guided her daughter to the large wooden door and shoved her out. “Go to the elves in Morhorel by whatever means you can, they shall explain everything.” She gave her daughter one last kiss before turning back inside.

Violet ran across the cobble stone pathway she couldn’t think straight but she knew she had to find the man that killed her best friend and kill him before escaping the Kingdom filled with traitors. She didn’t know how she would kill the drunken fool, but revenge makes people do crazy things. The Merchants were setting up beside the tall dark buildings, assured that there would be no more rain. They called out advertising their wares, luring shoppers into spending more money than they owned. Looking around she saw her first ever Shomari, they were an oddity at best, which is to be assumed from a creature that had a body like a human covered with patterned fur and the head of a leopard. As much as she wanted to go over to the strange creatures, she needed to carry out her business as quickly as possible. She recalled Aaron telling her about the inn his father always went to; the goats head. He always pointed it out to her and Aiden when they explored the city. She headed to the seedy side of Rilorn and soon found herself at a set of large weathered doors, she took a deep breath and pushed the door open, her senses were assaulted by the putrid smell of man sweat and vomit, the place was dark and questionable characters conspired in corners.

“Well what’s a beautiful young lady like yerself doing in this rotten place? Mayhap she’s a lady of the night come out to play in the day time!” A loud voice slurred.

“Well it depends, are you Mr Hades?” She asked with a bitter tone, yet confident tone. She retained her casual grace that could only be earned by all the years she’s spent in the palace.

“Who asks?” he garbled aggressively.

“Why did you murder your son?” she barked

“Because the little bastard told me he didn’t want to end up like me. So I made sure he didn’t.” He said angrily, flashing a sadistic smile. “And what’s a little girl like you going to do?” He laughed pitilessly and his fellow drunks chuckled with him.

Her anger boiled up inside as she glared at the man, an uncontrollable force took over and she found herself unable to look away. He started to scream as his skin boiled, bubbling up with blisters, slowly peeling. He sizzled and smoked as the acrid stench of burning flesh filled the air causing hardened men to spew on site. Violet heard men screaming for help around her but she only focussed on the disgraceful creature writhing and burning in front of her. She continued to glare at him with her burning gaze until he lay still, forcibly tearing her eyes from him. Violet  realized in the confusion and smell of burning that the men were calling for guards. She fled from the scene clutching at her blood soaked arm, the buildings blurring together as she ran past.

She ran until she found herself in the middle of a beaten down track in the forest of Rilorn. She slowed on the dusty dirt road still holding her arm and shuffled along for five minutes. She heard a rustling in the bushes and stopped in her tracks. She looked around and spotted movement. “You can come out, I am unarmed. If you wish to kill me, do it quickly.” She commanded.

The stranger made themselves known walking out of the trees; its yellow eyes were piercing as it walked towards Violet. Its black fur gleamed in the sunlight, highlighting its muscular body. Violet relaxed visibly when the creature walked to her calmly, sat down and dropped a stick at her feet.

.     .     .

The slim dark haired woman sat at her old wooden table, her hands resting either side of her face. She took a deep breath and called out to her son, “Aiden, can you please fetch me some water and put it to boil on the fire, then go outside and harvest hazel root and some aborle leaves while I make frost berry paste. I have a feeling someone is coming who will need aid.” Morgana said in her usual calm voice.

“Yes madam.” Aiden answered in a playful tone.

The water was bubbling on the fire and plants that were gathered had been prepared and were resting on the table beside the hearth with fresh gauze. As Aiden and Morgana sat eating their morning meal, Morgana stopped and looked up. She said, “Our guest has arrived.” She got up and walked out of the door with her son in tow. They looked surprised when they saw Violet walking toward them. Aiden smiled at the sight of her, it was a pure and natural action that made his grey eyes crinkle at the edges, but dissipated quickly at the sight of his friend as she grinned back at him wearily. Her arm and hand were covered in blood and a wolf as black as the night walked beside her. She strode towards Aiden but faltered and fell to the ground. 

Preferences

§

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

0

-

=

Backspace

Tab

q

w

e

r

t

y

u

i

o

p

[

]

Return

capslock

a

s

d

f

g

h

j

k

l

;

'

\

shift

`

z

x

c

v

b

n

m

,

.

/

shift

English

alt

alt

Preferences