The Randomizer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Jeff glanced at the piece of paper in his hand once more, as if to confirm that he had found the correct office. It was so confusing here – all the identical white halls made this branch of Heaven seem like a labyrinth. At last, Jeff decided that this was the right place, and he cautiously opened the door.

The room was not especially large, but it was impressive nonetheless. The walls were just as white as every other room in Heaven, but they seemed to have a subtle apricot tinge. Distributed evenly throughout the room were six identical white desks, each with two people (one on each side). On each desk was a large screen displaying various statistics. In the center was another workstation with multiple small screens. The spotless marble floor reflected everything perfectly, except where a perfect red circle had been painted, along with the words, “That which lives must die.”

A man seated at the center desk stood up as Jeff entered the room, while everyone else looked up to see what was happening. He grinned and said in a deep, loud voice: “This must be the new techie! Hello to you. I’m Aldric, the head of the Mortality Department.”

“Hello to you too,” Jeff responded hesitantly. “My name is …” he paused. “Jeff. That’s right.”

“Oh, you must still be disoriented from your arrival,” Aldric observed. “You don’t look like you could be older than, say, your teen years, so you must have had an unnatural death. That may have made the confusion worse – but it will pass after a while.”

“I guess that’s good. I don’t really know why I’m here. Someone just handed me this paper and told me to come to this office.”

“You’ve been assigned to the Mortality Department as a tech specialist. The note I received tells me that you were quite the computer aficionado in life. You must also enjoy it quite a bit, or you’d never have been assigned to this job. You’re going to be caring for one of the most important machines in existence!”

“Really?” Jeff’s face lit up.

“We call it the Randomizer, and it is the technological masterpiece that runs everything you see around you.” He raised his hand as if to indicate the strange screens, the endless streams of data, and the large monitors on the walls that displayed maps of the globe. “The Randomizer is the dealer of death. It ­determines when it is time for a living human to die.”

“You mean it just picks that at random?” Jeff asked, incredulous.

“Nonsense! It requires careful calibration almost constantly. We tweak the machine to favor certain demographic groups when it selects who dies. For instance, the elderly are more likely to be selected. Someone near a burning building ­instantly has a much higher chance of death by fire. A smoker has a higher chance of fatal lung cancer. And all of this ­data is carefully tweaked every minute of the day.”

Aldric led his new protégé around the room, showing off the technology. The screens on the desks each showed a continent, listing the names of the deceased in rapid fire. The sixth desk handled island nations and the few souls living at the poles. Larger displays on the walls showed the overall mortality rate for the world and various countries, as well as which causes of death were most common. In the center was that circular desk with the open interior, where a swivel chair rested. More screens were positioned on all sides of this desk.

“This is where you’ll be working,” Aldric explained, beaming. “I’ve been manning it since our last techie retired, but now it’s all yours. I’ll show you the ropes and then you can start working right away – adjusting the probabilities to accommodate the constant changes in the world and such. All the information you could ever need is here on the screen – the rest is left to your wit and skill.”

“Hang on a second – there’s a manual override or something, right?”

“Pardon me?”

“I mean, if God needs to take someone for some reason, whatever his reason is. I know you can’t question that – he can do that, right?”

“Whatever for?” Aldric asked. “That system was revised centuries ago, and even then it didn’t work. We had to discard it outright. It hasn’t been practical since medieval times. With so many people in the world, it’s all that the Randomizer can do to even keep track of them. How can you expect God to sift through all that each day? Besides, when he got bored … let’s just say we had to take that little toy away from him.”

“Well … then there’s some kind of probability rule that favors good people, right?” Jeff asked. “Aren’t bad people more likely to die?”

“What difference does it make when they’ll have an eternal afterlife anyway? No, it’s totally random. No one dies for reasons like that anymore. Not everything can have purpose like that – when humans are so numerous, you have to leave it to chance, you see?”

“To … chance? But … but what if ….”

“Hold on! I guess I wasn’t clear enough, was I? We sometimes target particular people, if it’s really necessary.”

“Oh,” Jeff sighed, some color returning to his face.

“Take your death, for instance. We needed a new techie!” Aldric laughed heartily. “So … does that about cover everything?” Aldric waited for an answer, but none came – his replacement had fled the room.

***

The blurriness in his mind had begun to clear, and Jeff had remembered the moment of his death. As it flashed through his head, he had turned and run from the room. Now, as he sprinted down the deceptively white hallways, the scene replayed over and over. He remembered the pain in his limbs, the scattered textbooks he had been taking to school, the shattered windshield … and his father kneeling beside him, ignoring his own wounds, as life faded from Jeff’s eyes.

“It’s okay, son,” his dad had said through his tears. “God had his reasons … God must have had his reasons ….”

bigsmooth said...
Mar. 16, 2010 at 5:44 pm:
The Randomizer has a setting that is intriguing because even though it’s fiction, it’s not hard to believe that this could be real. The story is spoken based off a perspective on life and makes the reader think about their own life and its purpose and meaning.
This story takes place in Heaven, or what some people might think Heaven is like. A place with white everywhere, except for one spot. I found this information from the text in the first and second paragraphs’: &ld... (more »)

JeanGrey said...
Mar. 11, 2010 at 1:49 pm:
Very well written and interesting. A bit terrifying to! I am a Christian so naturally your views on God in this story would'nt appeal to me but other than that it was very well written and original. It makes you think and I like that...

The~crayon~in~my~heart said...
Feb. 27, 2010 at 3:01 pm:
ahhhhhhh! thats horrid! i mean, the story is clever and everything, but.... its all just RANDOM! and then his dad... still, the writing is very good and its very clever

alwayswriting14 said...
Feb. 26, 2010 at 11:49 am:
That was amazing. It was so interesting...i loved it. Write more!!

DIVOted2MuSiC said...
Feb. 26, 2010 at 7:22 am:
Wow :o that was amazin love the twist at the end, i want to read the next one!!! :)

pampalooga This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 19, 2010 at 12:04 pm:
that was an incredibly original idea, and very well written. i absolutely loved it. Do you write like this often? because you do a very good job. :)

Today4U said...
Feb. 16, 2010 at 12:28 am:
Wow...that was excellent. Really makes you think. I, for one, appreciate and agree with your views on God, but this is probably because I don't believe in him for about the same reasons as the story illustrates - good people die for seemingly no reason, while bad people become rich and succeed, and a "loving creator" would never allow that to happen. So in conclusion, an agnostic heathen thought your story was excellent in every possible way. (Oh yeah, and everyone else, please do... (more »)

Ebony_Rose said...
I LOVED it!!! It was very interesting and held my attention...

alaina said...
I really liked it... are you going to write anymore soon??

KK2013 said...
Oh my, that was brilliant! just a small note: in the beginning, the Aldric guy said something like, it must have been unnatural, you look young.... but he actually knew.... i dont think thats completely correct. but i LOVE this story. its my favorite type of Sci-Fi

MiyaQuille This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I know this is a very cliche sentence on this website, but I have to say it: I literally had chills from the last paragraph! I knew that there would be a twist at the end, and I knew that that Jeff would have been 'killed' in some horrific/tear jerking way, but even though I was braced against it his dad's voice seemed to reverberate in my head...this story definitely makes a person think.
Kudos!!! Keep writing!!!

T3on0y said...
teen ink rocks yo

fantasyfreak294 said...
Jan. 1, 2010 at 11:24 am:
wow! you really reeled me into this story. Nice explanation, dialogue, conclusion.. everything! You are a master!

T3on0y replied...
Jan. 15, 2010 at 1:26 pm :
u realy wat me into the story

fantasyfreak294 replied...
Jan. 15, 2010 at 2:15 pm :
reeled, like pulled in, u know?

AzureGal said...
Dec. 8, 2009 at 3:40 am:
It's so awesomely crafted. I LOVE IT!! Thank u.

kiwisunshine said...
This is an amazing story. I love it and hope to see more of your writing in the future.

erika4964 said...
Wow that is on way at looking at death. But I hope that is not true that they pick death randomly. I think everything happens for a reason. Even if you don't know what it is ever or right away.

UncertainlyClear said...
Dec. 3, 2009 at 1:55 am:
Awesome. Youre good.

AnyseCruorem said...
this is so sad... but it is brilliant.