The Randomizer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Jeff glanced at the piece of paper in his hand once more, as if to confirm that he had found the correct office. It was so confusing here – all the identical white halls made this branch of Heaven seem like a labyrinth. At last, Jeff decided that this was the right place, and he cautiously opened the door.

The room was not especially large, but it was impressive nonetheless. The walls were just as white as every other room in Heaven, but they seemed to have a subtle apricot tinge. Distributed evenly throughout the room were six identical white desks, each with two people (one on each side). On each desk was a large screen displaying various statistics. In the center was another workstation with multiple small screens. The spotless marble floor reflected everything perfectly, except where a perfect red circle had been painted, along with the words, “That which lives must die.”

A man seated at the center desk stood up as Jeff entered the room, while everyone else looked up to see what was happening. He grinned and said in a deep, loud voice: “This must be the new techie! Hello to you. I’m Aldric, the head of the Mortality Department.”

“Hello to you too,” Jeff responded hesitantly. “My name is …” he paused. “Jeff. That’s right.”

“Oh, you must still be disoriented from your arrival,” Aldric observed. “You don’t look like you could be older than, say, your teen years, so you must have had an unnatural death. That may have made the confusion worse – but it will pass after a while.”

“I guess that’s good. I don’t really know why I’m here. Someone just handed me this paper and told me to come to this office.”

“You’ve been assigned to the Mortality Department as a tech specialist. The note I received tells me that you were quite the computer aficionado in life. You must also enjoy it quite a bit, or you’d never have been assigned to this job. You’re going to be caring for one of the most important machines in existence!”

“Really?” Jeff’s face lit up.

“We call it the Randomizer, and it is the technological masterpiece that runs everything you see around you.” He raised his hand as if to indicate the strange screens, the endless streams of data, and the large monitors on the walls that displayed maps of the globe. “The Randomizer is the dealer of death. It ­determines when it is time for a living human to die.”

“You mean it just picks that at random?” Jeff asked, incredulous.

“Nonsense! It requires careful calibration almost constantly. We tweak the machine to favor certain demographic groups when it selects who dies. For instance, the elderly are more likely to be selected. Someone near a burning building ­instantly has a much higher chance of death by fire. A smoker has a higher chance of fatal lung cancer. And all of this ­data is carefully tweaked every minute of the day.”

Aldric led his new protégé around the room, showing off the technology. The screens on the desks each showed a continent, listing the names of the deceased in rapid fire. The sixth desk handled island nations and the few souls living at the poles. Larger displays on the walls showed the overall mortality rate for the world and various countries, as well as which causes of death were most common. In the center was that circular desk with the open interior, where a swivel chair rested. More screens were positioned on all sides of this desk.

“This is where you’ll be working,” Aldric explained, beaming. “I’ve been manning it since our last techie retired, but now it’s all yours. I’ll show you the ropes and then you can start working right away – adjusting the probabilities to accommodate the constant changes in the world and such. All the information you could ever need is here on the screen – the rest is left to your wit and skill.”

“Hang on a second – there’s a manual override or something, right?”

“Pardon me?”

“I mean, if God needs to take someone for some reason, whatever his reason is. I know you can’t question that – he can do that, right?”

“Whatever for?” Aldric asked. “That system was revised centuries ago, and even then it didn’t work. We had to discard it outright. It hasn’t been practical since medieval times. With so many people in the world, it’s all that the Randomizer can do to even keep track of them. How can you expect God to sift through all that each day? Besides, when he got bored … let’s just say we had to take that little toy away from him.”

“Well … then there’s some kind of probability rule that favors good people, right?” Jeff asked. “Aren’t bad people more likely to die?”

“What difference does it make when they’ll have an eternal afterlife anyway? No, it’s totally random. No one dies for reasons like that anymore. Not everything can have purpose like that – when humans are so numerous, you have to leave it to chance, you see?”

“To … chance? But … but what if ….”

“Hold on! I guess I wasn’t clear enough, was I? We sometimes target particular people, if it’s really necessary.”

“Oh,” Jeff sighed, some color returning to his face.

“Take your death, for instance. We needed a new techie!” Aldric laughed heartily. “So … does that about cover everything?” Aldric waited for an answer, but none came – his replacement had fled the room.

***

The blurriness in his mind had begun to clear, and Jeff had remembered the moment of his death. As it flashed through his head, he had turned and run from the room. Now, as he sprinted down the deceptively white hallways, the scene replayed over and over. He remembered the pain in his limbs, the scattered textbooks he had been taking to school, the shattered windshield … and his father kneeling beside him, ignoring his own wounds, as life faded from Jeff’s eyes.

“It’s okay, son,” his dad had said through his tears. “God had his reasons … God must have had his reasons ….”

slkillo said...
Sept. 16, 2010 at 6:34 am
wow. this is so creative, something i've never heard of before. the writing's really good and the story line is amazing. wow.

juliam This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Wow. I'm not even religious and this is touching me, both in a heart-breaking way and an open-minded way.

Just... wow

DreamInspired said...
wow. This was so touching. I really enjoyed the story as a whole. One spot that could use some improvment is the trasition between him fleeing and the memory. Great work, keep it up :)

VioletRose This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really liked your story.  The transition between him running out the room and remember his death is a bit awkward, though, because one happens in the physical story, and the other happens in his mind/memory; the two settings aren't connected. But I really like the ending sentence.  I think it is great how you not only wrote about death but embraced it as the center and idea of your story.

Emily G. said...
Jun. 24, 2010 at 9:20 am
VERY well written! It was a very moving story, and didn't have to be lengthy to impact the reader. Wonderful Job!

InkDance said...
Wow. That was creepy and disturbing and very well written. I usually don't post, but this story really impacted me. I love how you tied in the ending there, it made everything so much more emotional. 

bobun16 said...
I agree w/ shadow_kissed. I disagree with your position of God, but otherwise, this is amazing.

horse95lover said...
so good!

coly33 said...

a lot of ppl r saying this is scary but for some reason it wasn't scary for me pretty strange 6though but i really liked it!

:)

i_am_nobody said...
very, very creepy and disturbing

kasey.camille said...
May 24, 2010 at 12:35 am
Beautifully constructed. Spectacular work.

Eilatan This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
oh dear....       

MayaChristine This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 16, 2010 at 6:14 am
great idea, I've always loved stories about the afterlife. I personally wasn't offended at all by the ending, and I think you could really expand this into like, a full story. Awesome :D xxxx

xxtrident13xx said...
great idea

Aelita said...
I liked the story overall- it had amazing concepts, but I agree with a lot of people on the ending.  It was clever, but not really necessary, and might offend people of ceartain religions.

shavemybaby said...
very clever.  The bit at the end strikes me as unnessecary, I would have ended with "his replacement had fled the room"  But still very well done.

allywa88 replied...
The end is supposed to make you think. It's not supposed to be some happy-go-lucky bubble gum story about kittens and ponies and ice cream sundaes. It's meant to strip down the walls of what we've been told throughout our lives and make us reconsider what we believe. The ending was absolutely necessary because in the ending lies the point of the whole story. It's not meant to please everyone. If the reader's mind isn't open enough to consider what the ending is implying, then they've missed out ... (more »)

JacobC said...
Wow.       

FussyCashew said...
Very good! I really like the irony in it. But being the critic I am, I have to say the ending ruined it. I would have been more than satisfied without it. But still good job! 5 stars!

Ben T. said...
Apr. 13, 2010 at 12:11 am
Kind of spartan when it come to the character's feelings and actions. Otherwise, it is quite an ironic piece.