"The Perks of Being a Moon" | Teen Ink

"The Perks of Being a Moon"

September 15, 2014
By pprudhon GOLD, San Jose, California
pprudhon GOLD, San Jose, California
10 articles 0 photos 28 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live."
-JK Rowling (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone)


The moon frowned as she watched the earth go about its day.  There had been a time when she would have been part of it.  When they had been the best of friends, inseparable even.


But that was before the earth’s children had come along.


Now, the moon told herself that she loved the earth’s children.  She must have loved them, otherwise why would she keep their tides moving low enough for them to be safe?  Why would she bring light to their dark nights?


The moon wasn’t sure.


It was true that the earth’s children worshipped the moon, praising her beauty, and thanking her for what she did, but the compliments of a bunch of humans didn’t really mean anything to the moon.


The moon became frustrated.  As she admired the earth’s beauty in its clear blue waters and pure green lands, she asked herself why she bothered to help them.  After all, if she moved just a bit closer to the earth, the tsunamis would extinct the humans.


Maybe, the moon thought hopefully, if the earth’s children were gone, he would talk to her again.  Maybe she would even get up the nerve to tell him the truth about her feelings---


No, the moon realized with a start.  If something ever happened to the earth’s children, he would be inconsolable.  He would never be happy again.
If the moon had been responsible for their deaths, he would never forgive her.


Longingly, the moon took one last glance at the earth before continuing her rotation around him at the exact distance to keep the earth’s children safe.


There are worse things, she decided.  Although she would never be able to speak with her beloved earth, she could still see him.  She could still see how happy he was.

And that was enough for the moon.


The author's comments:

I wrote this while I was camping and was able to look up at the moon and the stars and just admire them.  I hope it inspiress you to pause your busy life for just a moment to appreciate the beauty that is always above us.

 
Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace
 
Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]
 
Return
 
 
capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\
 
shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift
 
 
English
 
 
alt
alt
 
 
Preferences