Specimen | Teen Ink

Specimen

By 040614 SILVER, Laurel Springs, New Jersey
040614 SILVER, Laurel Springs, New Jersey

Her dark eyes open.

They gasp quietly, leaning in to study the rapidly dilating pupils. The girl twitches on the table, a trickle of blood staining the corner of her trembling mouth, her eyebrows drawn together in confusion and fright.

She is perfect.

Quickly, they sedate her once more for transport. The girl's unique eyes are hidden by her heavily falling lids. Her black hair is expertly manipulated into a single, thick braid that lies over her right shoulder. Her nails are buffed into shining, smooth ovals; her skin is exfoliated and moisturized once more.

They dress her in simple white clothes; her ID number is scrawled excitedly on the waistband of her cotton pants. They paint her lips, wiped clean of blood, pink.

She is ready to be released from the lab.

They enclose her in a bulletproof glass box, drill miniscule holes for air and slap a shipping sticker on the space above her sleeping face. Congratulating each other, they clap as the box is loaded into the chute to be shot off toward the Birthing Center.

"Live long and prosper!" they call after the box.

* * *

Specimen 061312 wakes up once more in a soft, luxurious bed. Pale faces hover above her with weak, welcoming smiles. Their watery eyes feast upon her strong, beautiful features.

The numbness fades from her limbs. She stretches, delicate muscles rippling under her tanned skin. The faces make noises of admiration and wonder.

"Welcome, Specimen 061312," says a blonde woman with pale green eyes. Her pupils seem to be missing entirely; the effect is unsettling. "You have just been born. You have twenty-four hours to complete our task. If unfinished, you will be terminated immediately."