Darkness | Teen Ink

Darkness

By AprilRaver BRONZE, Spring Grove, Pennsylvania
AprilRaver BRONZE, Spring Grove, Pennsylvania

I stood in the middle of darkness, but I was not alone.

It was cold and damp in the room no sound no light. It was terrifying, the mysteriousness of it all I stood careful not to move as I imagined a serial killer who had me as his next victim, a rapist that dragged me to his lair never to be heard from again. Though my thoughts seem childish compared to the reality of that room of that dark industrial room which reeked of death.

Noticing there were shackles wrapped tightly around my wrists, I traced the chains attached, to a concrete wall. I could see absolutely nothing. The room’s darkness was unlike anything I had ever witnessed twisting around me suffocating me with its black veil that seemed poisonous, intoxicating my mind with fear. The fear intensified as I heard shuffling from across the room as if the rustling of my chains had alerted someone, something of my presence. I froze in silence for what seemed like hours before I found my voice and pulled it as courageously as I could from the back of my throat.

"Hello?" I questioned to the dark in a frightened voice.

"Who are you?" a man asked reflecting my skittish tone but with a slight yell as if attempting to seem threatening.

"What are you doing to us?" a woman bellowed angrily from across the room.

"What? I, I just woke up here chained to the wall w-what the hell are you talking about?" I said defensively.

"You liar get me out of here!" The girl screamed as the sound of chains tightening echoed through the room as if she had tried to lunge at me.

"Veronica!" Commanded a man with an English accent to my left in the strangest calming voice that sent a chill down my spine. His voice came again "I'm sorry for those two we are all a bit shaken up."

"What's going on? Where am-," I tried to acquire but was cut off by Veronica's frantic voice.
"No it's her, I know it's her, she did this to us!" More chains tensed and clattered from her direction as she accused me profusely.

"Veronica we need to be calm if we ever want to find out why we are here-," the man said also cut off by her whiny voice that was starting to annoy me.

"I don't care why we are here I just wanna get out," a sound of pounding on concrete came from her side of the room as if she was beating on the wall or stomping her feet loudly, "Let me the f*** out!"

"Veronica!" The man shouted more assertive than before, which seemed to finally silence the b****. "What is your name dear?" the man asked his voice mellow and comforting.
"M-me?"
"Yes."
"My name is Autumn, Autumn Way," I said hesitantly.
"Well, Autumn my name is Alex Richard," the man said saying my name with the most addicting inflection that lulled me into a calm state until I remembered my situation and I immediately snapped back on guard.
"My name is Dante," said the voice on the right I hadn't heard for a while; the same voice that yelled at me earlier, it now seemed to be that of a boy around probably fifteen or sixteen, "Dante Rodgers."

After a few moments the nagging voice from across the room busted out as if to break the chilling silence "Veronica, my name is Veronica Allan."

A little more time was passed in the silence that grew frightening as it did awkward before Dante seemed to steal the words from my lips asking, "S-so what now?"

Alex's voice shined through the darkness, "I guess we need to figure out why we are here," there was a pause before he spoke again, "Do any of us know each other? Any names sound familiar?"

I thought hard I knew many people named Alex it was my brothers name in fact but I knew I'd remember a voice like that I had never known anyone personally who had an English accent, and Veronica I'd never known anyone with that name. My thinking was interrupted by a question, directed to me.

"How old are you Autumn?" Dante asked a quiver in his voice not of fear but of nervousness, was this kid attracted to me? He would be sadly disappointed when the lights came on I joked to myself, well if the lights came back on, anyways I digress.

"Twenty-one," I had answered nervous as well realizing I was in a dark damp room with three strangers and nervousness was to be expected.

"Oh," he said disappointed.
"Why?" Veronica instigated.
"I know an Autumn, but she's only ten," Dante replied in a mixture of frustration and embarrassment admitting his stupidity.
"Does she sound like she's ten? We don't have time for-," Veronica was cut off for once which made me strangely satisfied.
"Leave him alone we need anything we can get," Alex said, "What about you Autumn?"
I thought for a second Dante, Dante nothing came to me except the demon hunting Nephilim from anime cartoons of my youth. "Nope, nothing rings a bell."
"I can't say I recall any of you either," Alex admitted.
"Well, I've got nothing," said Veronica, "What now genius?" She mocked Alex.
"Hey back off what's your problem?" I asked angrily.

"My problem? My problem is I'm caged up like an animal with an idiot, a bitchy drama queen, and the bad guy from James Bond," She snapped.

"Oh, so I'm the drama queen, you haven't stopped bit-,"

Alex's voice held me back and calmed me as he cut me off, "Ladies stop please we need to figure this out." I fell silent as did Veronica though I could hear the slightest hint of her mumble something under her breath, at least I thought it was her.

After a long time of arguing and not coming up jack, we gave it up for a bit. Moments passed in silence and darkness and I heard what sounded like Veronica mumbling once again.

"What did you say Veronica?" I asked irritably sick and tired of the noise.
"I didn't say anything what are you talking about?" she yelled defensively.

"But I... Ugggggh nevermind." She was too stubborn and I was done fighting.

The quiet continued until the mumbling returned and I started to fall back into my fear I almost started back up the conversation to rid myself of the haunting mumbling until it became more legible it was a soft whisper twisted and chilling like vocals straight out of a Marilyn Manson song multiple voices bombarded me. It sounded as if radio transmissions were going off in my head one after the next distorted and stacked on top of each other in a jumble of sloppy harsh words.

"They're liars."
"Don't listen."
"He doesn't even have chains."
"He's too calm."
"She's against all of you."
"Don't trust them!"
I shrieked over the voices, "Who said that?"
"What?" Alex asked concerned.
"Don't you hear it?" I started crying.
"Autumn stop we're already scared enough," Dante told me.
"I told you she did this she's trying to turn us against each other," Veronica said. Alex said something to Veronica, but I couldn't hear them the voices continued louder.
"Monsters!"
"They're all against you!"
"Liars!"
"Save yourself."
"They brought you here!"
“Imprisonment!”

As the voices rang out a cornucopia of the haunting paranoia. That must be it I'm paranoid and I was hallucinating, but, the more I thought the more it made sense the more evidence piled up why was Veronica so defensive and always blaming me. Why was Alex so unsettlingly calm I hadn't heard a hint of fear in any of his beautiful words, and Dante, Dante was the most terrifying so silent I couldn't read him or figure out anything about him maybe he was just a shy teenage boy who was scared, but the more I thought the more the voices flooded my ears my reasoning rotted away. But why would the voices help me perhaps ghost of former victims warning me, or maybe they still lay decaying in the corners of the room.

"Not even human."

"Out to get you!"
"Run, fight, get out!"

Then I heard a voice a comforting intoxicating voice that terrified me more than anything, it was Alex, "It's okay Autumn we are prisoners too just like you."

Then Veronica and Dante's voices rang out all of them growing twisted and demonic as they instigated.

"Relax girl."
"It will all be over soon," Veronica said her voice twisting to that of a child before she laughed historically, "haha haha!"
"Don't be scared we are here darling."

"Soon, soon, soon."
As the voices continued I looked around shocked as my eyes slowly adjusted and I could see the outline of the figures around me.

They looked like humans but... But, they, they were too tall they were too tall. I cried as I looked at them closely they were at least ten feet tall they looked anorexic, their bones exposed as part of their figure poking through their flesh at least I think they have flesh. Their arms hung low to the floor also narrow with huge claws attached that scraped against the floor. They had ugly cat like ears that protruded from either side of their heads and the eyes of an animated snake yellow and red with black slits for pupils.

Then I saw it on the floor in front of me was a knife a bowie knife. One more voice rang out clear before they subsided, “The only way out.” I picked it up timidly I had never held a knife and it seemed heavy.

The... The thing to my left started speaking in Alex's voice, "Whatever is the matter Autumn?" As he spoke his mouth stretched literally from ear to ear with what had to be hundreds of tiny crooked yellow fangs stabbing out of its bloody, black gums.

I busted my shackles with the handle of the knife until I was free trying desperately to ignore "Alex." I ran over and stabbed the knife hard shutting my eyes as not to see the hideous creature. I felt the knife sink into cold flesh with ease as the creature screamed in Alex's voice and fell to the floor. I got on top of it and could feel its bony frame it's ribs stabbing into my knees. Looking at its face I wanted to throw up it looked as if it had been burned in some horrible fire, its face pale and distorted.

All its features were abnormally huge and it's skin warped and stretched tightly around these features its eyes were completely bare of the surrounding skin which made them bulge and seem to pop from its skull it almost looked as if the skin was a mask pulled tightly and wrinkled torn and ripped to shreds in some places that showed black dried blood.

I stabbed till I could not stab any more than I noticed "Veronica" screaming hysterically. I tackled her or rather it the knife poking through the tightened sickeningly sticky flesh. I slashed back and forth everywhere. I had rest exhausted and terrified.

Then I remembered "Dante" I looked up at him as we faced off in silence. Why didn't it move? I lunged at it but with immense strength it pushed me down and stood over me. Its figure was chilling it was hunched over like a chimpanzee, with its lengthy limbs that could've reached me from anywhere in the room. It looked like a giant hairless dog that had been starved and abused for decades. I stabbed viciously and slashed with my eyes shut tight until I heard him collapse beside me.

It was dead, all of them dead.

The lights came on blinding me as colors of bright red and green spun around before my eyes adjusted and I could see it the horrid scene.

"No, no, no!" I yelled frantically.

I was in a room entirely made of concrete covered in blood no doors or windows a dim light bulb hung from the ceiling and on the three walls in front of me lay three dead bodies. They were chained to the wall frozen in fear to my left a man in a suit which had been drenched with blood his face was unrecognizable he had a slender yet muscular figure with tamed black hair.
In front of me lay a girl with blond hair in a puddle of sticky red blood she wore high heels and a yellow tank top with cut off jeans and scars ran through all her torso her face had a twisted preppy quality to it. If I wasn't so shocked by the mess In front I would've taken pleasure in how snobby and ugly she looked.

Then I looked to my right where a boy who looked younger than I suspected about thirteen or fourteen with a leather jacket and red skinny jeans lie tore apart to a mess of gore.He was so young and I had killed him, I had killed all of them their innocent corpses piled around me a monument to my madness.

I turned around with a shriek to see the most horrifying thing in the room. It made me wanna cry until my eyes eroded away and I could no longer see the horror. A mirror lightly covered in tiny spots of blood showed me pure terror. I looked at... Myself I looked at the thing in the mirror.

I looked like a human but... But, I, I was too tall, I was too tall…

I tried to deny it but there was no denying the thing in the mirror was me I was the monster. I was the monster and I was the victim. The room fell dark again.

I stood in the middle of darkness and I was alone, so, so utterly alone.