Legacy | Teen Ink

Legacy

By Arraenae GOLD, Cupertino, California
Arraenae GOLD, Cupertino, California

The people of Rania were long known for their kindness. Farmers would often give their children gifts and pretend to know nothing about it, merchants shared trade secrets, and the king often held grand feasts open to everyone. On these days, many people would gather to eat and drink to their hearts content. Needless to say, some of the feasts were a bit rowdy, but most of the time nothing was permanently damaged.
It was in one of these feasts that Sera had been found as a baby, tucked thoughtfully under a tablecloth. It had been pure accident that the Lune family had discovered her there and taken her home -- of course, an accident with happy results.

Sera sighed as she peered over her account books. Math wasn’t an issue for her, but it just felt so boring to add and subtract numbers all day long. It wasn’t as exciting as something such as serving as a knight for the king, or being trained as a master swordswoman. The most exciting thing that could happen in accounting was compound interest.
“Sera? Is everything okay?” It was Mum, who’d just entered Sera’s room. She wasn’t Sera’s birth mother, but had taken Sera in as a baby.Sera considered her a far better mother than whoever Sera’s birth mother had been.
“Nothing,” Sera said, “Just thinking…”
“Well, you know that the annual swordfighting tournament is coming up,” Mum said. “I know that you’ve always wanted to go see it up close. Your brother’s going to the capital, and I thought that you could join him if you wanted.”
Sera felt a lump rise in her throat. She didn’t just want to see the annual tournament, she wanted to be in it. But she was in a family of merchants, and training for these types of competitions was costly--not to mention the cost of buying a sword either! Still, there was something much more appealing about swordfighting than mathematics and accounting…
“I--I could go, I guess,” Sera said. Since she was only 14 years old and a girl, this might be her only chance to see the annual swordfight.
Mum nodded and said, “Alex is going a week from now. Make sure that you come back by next month.”

A week later, Sera and Alex were getting ready to leave. Alex would be bringing things to the capital to sell, and Sera was determined to be more than a big burden to look after. She and Alex loaded cloth into their only wagon, trying to shove in some extra room for cloth. The journey to the capital of the city took 2 weeks, so it was best to sell as much as possible while still there.
“Is there any room for some more cloth?” Sera asked.
“I think there is,” said Alex, “If I could shift this pile over a bit, I can fit in two more bolts of cloth.”
Sera handed him the textiles. Alex took it and pushed it in, stuffing the wagon to its limit.
“Alex, make sure that you keep Sera safe. If you don’t come back--”
“I know, Mum. We’ll be careful,” Alex shouted.
Mum walked out of the house, carrying a sack of provisions. “How can you say that when you forgot to pack food for your trip? I don’t know how you managed to survive the last few years.”
Alex swore and pulled out a few bolts of cloth to make room for the provisions. Sera giggled as he tried, unsuccessfully, to fit the sack in. He pulled out more cloth, only to have a huge stack fall out on top of him.
Mum said, “Sera, can you come with me?”

Sera followed her back into the house. Mum seemed apprehensive, but Sera had no idea why. It wasn’t as if this trip could be dangerous.
Mum said, “I know that you always liked swordfighting, so… if you don’t want to come back here, I don’t blame you. The swordfighting academy is open to girls, but it just might be a bit harder. I know that you want to go there.” Her eyes were strangely bright, as if she was holding back tears.
Sera stared at Mum. “I can’t go to there! I don’t even have a sword!” Sera was shocked to see her mum like this. She had never seen Mum cry, and seeing this was disturbing.
Mum ignored Sera’s protests and walked away. Sera could hear things crashing around as Mum seemed to rummage through her closet. Sera was just about to go help her when Mum came back, holding a big sword.
Sera hadn’t seen many swords, but she knew that this one was extremely well-made. It had a thin blade, and a simple crossguard. The only decoration was a ruby pommel. It was simple, yet elegant.
Mum said, “The day I found you, I saw this placed at your side. It might have been coincidence, but I think you were meant to have it.”
Sera took it. Absurdly, she felt tears welling up in her eyes, and she said, “Thanks. I.. I just don’t know what to say...”
Mum said. “Don’t be afraid to leave us. I know that you really want to join the academy. I don’t want to hold you back.”
Sera nodded. It was as if a big burden had been lifted from her shoulders. She could join the swordfighting academy now! She turned and made a promise to herself: no matter how many years it took, or what was happening, she would come back, one way or another.