Death Awaits You | Teen Ink

Death Awaits You

May 15, 2014
By EmoAnimeChick666 SILVER, Crystal Lake, Illinois
EmoAnimeChick666 SILVER, Crystal Lake, Illinois
5 articles 0 photos 1 comment

The world was spinning, colors blurred and all I could hear was the screeching of tires and my own high pitched screams. My long hair whipped around my head, and just as the car was slowing down, I heard it. Faster than I could comprehend a truck slammed into the passengers side, and the windows shattered inward and tiny shard of glass flew at my face and hands, slicing my skin open. I whimpered as the blood trailed down my arms. The car slammed into something and my head slammed into the seat in front of me. The car continued spinning as black spots filled my vision. I could vaguely recognize my mother’s voice screaming my name, hysteria seeping from her words. The seatbelt dug into my chest, constricting my airways and I gasped for breath, desperate. My head throbbed, sending violent streaks of icy hot pain through my skull. Slowly the car stopped spinning. The distant sound of sirens calmed me, help was coming, everyhting was going to be okay.
“Sarah?! Sarah!? Stay with me honey!” My mom’s frantic voice filled my head. The sirens got louder and louder, filling in any silence there was left. My vision blurred and my head throbbed. I couldn’t focus, thoughts were whipping in my head. My ears were ringing and I couldn’t see straight. The darkness was overwhelming, blocking out all color and sound. The hectic sounds of the cars around me, my mother’s voice, all of it faded slowly, as if someone was closing the door on the outside world. My brain was fuzzy as my mind went blank.
“Mom?” My voice rang out, seeming to echo. My eyelids inched open, allowing the scenery to sink back in. Where was I? I was laying on a pristine white bed, the sheets pulled taut on the mattress. I swung my feet off of the bed and felt a shudder run up my spine when my bare feet came in contact with the cold tile floor. Bracing my hands on the bed, I lifted myself up onto my feet, nausea churning my stomach. My knees buckled and I tumbled to the floor. My body hit the ground with a resounding thud, and a groan slipped through my lips. Slowly raising myself to my elbows, I once again braced my hand on the bed, and lifted myself up onto my feet.
“Hello?” My voice echoed off the walls. Using the bed as my support I walked towards the door. My knees came in contact with the floor as I stumbled. I hoisted myself up. My nose wrinkled as I involuntarily breathed in the rotten mildew smell of the building. Where was everybody? The not-so-white hospital gown clung to me as I started to sweat. Why was it so hot? I finally made it to the door. Left or right? My skin crawled as I took in the broken doors and abandoned hallways. I exhaled the breath I didn’t know I was holding. Finally deciding on right, I leaned against the wall for support. I stumbled down the hallway, my breath catching in my throat as the temperature dropped, causing me to shiver. I had to get out of here. I took a deep breath, attempting to calm my racing heart.
“Sarah, it’s time for your medicine.” My breath quickened as a shudder wrecked through my body. Who was that? My heart was thumping so loudly you could probably hear it from a mile away. Summoning all the courage I had left, I righted myself and tore down the abandoned corridor. I was focusing so much on not falling I almost missed the distinct sound of footsteps behind me. Glancing quickly behind me I was met with a flutter of white and a flash of silver. I wasn’t going to take any chances. My speed increased. I was panting, and my legs ached from overuse. My head was swimming. I collapsed to the ground, my already bruised knees aching. My brain screamed in protest. I had to get up. I felt a cool hand on my shoulder, it’s touch strangely comforting yet at the same time made me want to puke. I slowly turned my head, only to be greeted by sharp blue eyes, surrounded by waves of blond hair. A delicate face topped it all off. She was beautiful. Gorgeous. But there was something off. Her piercing gaze pinned me down, suffocated me. Yet…
“Now darling don’t you know it’s time for your medicine? You can’t just run away from me like that.” That voice! The one from before. It was smooth as silk and I reveled in the calming effect it had. It felt like her very presence put me under a spell. She helped me up, and wrapped her long arms around my torso, we made our way back to the room. She was so nice. I don’t know why I ran away earlier. Before I knew it, we were standing at the entrance to my room. Was it really my room? It felt different, less evil. Maybe it’s because of the woman. She carried me to my bed. As soon as her hands lost contact with me, my stomach dropped. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up straight, and as if sensing my panic as she stroked my hair. She was gonna make this all better.
“I’m sorry, but to give you your medicine, I have to give you an IV. This might sting a little, but in the end it’ll be all better.” Her voice rolled over me, encasing me in calm. She dug through a cabinet coming out with a needle.
“Could you lie down please? After I get the IV in, it should only take me a few minutes to get the medicine, and even less time for the medicine to take effect.” She flashed me a smile, and I couldn’t stop the grin that grew on my face. She was gonna make me feel better. She strode to my side, and inserted the IV. It only stung a little and it was over quickly.
“I’ll be right back with your medicine. No more waiting for you” She smiled again, showing me her pearly white teeth. Her lips were a unnatural ruby red, that she somehow pulled off. She walked around the bed towards the door, her hips swaying with each step. I layed my head back, basking in the softness of the pillow. Just as I was almost completely relaxed, a voice jolted me awake. Was she back? I turned my eyes towards the door only to see nothing. A whisper in the back of my head. The voice was strangely familiar. Hold on, don’t give up Sarah. The words struck a chord in me. And dread filled me, leaking from my pores. I had to get away.
“I’m back! Are you ready for your medicine?” Her once calming voice now caused my muscles to tense.
“No.” My voice conveyed fake confidence.

“What do you mean no? Take your medicine.” Her eyes narrowed into slits and there was an inhuman sound underneath her sweet voice.

“I said no.” My voice was weaker, but still strong enough that she knew my answer was absolute. A deep growl rumbled in her chest. Her once smooth hand reached for me. Long yellow tinted claws extended from her fingers. The bones in her hand morphed with a quiet crack. I took a step backwards. Her pale flesh turned black, veins bulging underneath it. Her limbs elongated and before my eyes her arms and legs turned beastly. She growled again. Patches of hair started to cover her body. I glanced up at her face. Her eyes had shrunken and sunk into her skull, turning a vibrant red, while her nose pushed out. She opened her jaws and her teeth grew into large fangs, her tongue forked as it slithered out of her mouth. Her dress tore, falling to the ground without a thought. Her shiny blonde hair fell out in clumps to be replaced by greasy black tufs. She reached for me again, her claws slicing open my arm. I hissed in pain. What was this thing? My heart was beating a mile a minute, and my breaths were coming out in gasps. Sweat and tears rolling down my face, stinging my eyes. I could taste the salt on my tongue.

“Now don’t cry, I’m gonna make it all better. Don’t you remember?” Her sweet voice was replaced, a baritone hiss instead. My skin crawled as it touched me. It’s grotesque fingers brushed my face gently until it reached my shoulder. With unnatural speed it sunk its claws into my shoulder, piercing my flesh. Its fist clenched and a whimper escaped as the waves of pain crashed over me. Blood spurted from between its fingers, and at the sight, it let out a guttural moan. It slowly removed its claws, bringing them up to its face. Its tongue slithered out, licking the blood, my blood, off of its claws. Another moan escaped its mouth.
“You taste sweet my dear, do you know that? I’ve been so very hungry.”
Blood was pouring down my arm, standing the hospital gown red. Without thinking I turned and ran. My bare feet hit the tile with small smacking sounds. My shoulder cried in pain as I moved my arm.

“Now now. You can run all you want but you can’t hide. Death will find you.” It’s voice resonated down the hallways, and I just ran faster. Hallways past in a blur and I finally decided to turn left down one. Where was the exit? Taking another left I came to a set of double doors. My hand gripped the handle, my shoulder screamed in protest the whole time, and yanked the door open. I stepped inside and closed the door. The room only had a dresser, desk and a small twin sized bed. I scurried over to the bed, and fell to my knees. Bracing myself for the inevitable pain, I shoved myself under the bed frame. My shoulder came in sharp contact with the floor, and a scream clawed its way up my throat. I clamped my mouth shut, and more tears poured down my cheeks. By now my shoulder had bled all over my clothes, and was starting to puddle on the ground. I swallowed the pain, and wiggled the rest of my body under the bed. I curled my arms under my torso. I made sure that my whole body was under the bed frame, and waited. I was shivering, and my teeth rattled. I needed to stay silent. I focused on the sounds around me and could faintly hear footsteps. My breath hitched as they got louder and louder. My eyes stung with unshed tears, and my throat clenched in anticipation. My muscles tensed. The footsteps were impossibly loud now, their sound drowning out everything else. I heard the door open, and my eyes followed its feet as it strode through the room. It’s long toe nail like claws scratched at the tiles, and I winced at the sound that it made. As the feet neared the bed, I clenched my eyes shut. My heart was hammering in my chest, and my breath flew out of me in a scream when I felt a piercing pain in my calves. My eyes flew open as I was dragged from under the bed. I clawed at the floor, my nails slitting open. Screams permeated the air and I was pulled away from my hiding place. My legs and shoulder burned and I couldn’t stop the tears that flowed down my face in rivers. As I was dragged my head hit the bed. I scrambled to free myself, and in my hysteria it’s claws sunk deeper into my legs.

“Stop struggling! Remember, i’m going to make everything all better. Isn’t that what you want? No more waiting?” A grin split apart it’s face, and a choked gasp left me. Its teeth were red with my blood. It laughed.
“Darling you taste so delicious! I’ve been so hungry. Won’t you allow me to eat?” I wriggled and it’s claws dug into my muscle. I could feel the sticky puddle of blood gather underneath my legs.
“Who are you?! Why are you doing this to me!? Please! Just leave me alone!” My voice cracked as I cried. The putrid metallic smell permeated the air in the small room, and my stomach rolled. I felt as its claws tore down my leg until they met my ankle.
“Who am I? I thought you would have guessed by now. I am pain, I am death, but most of all, I am release.” Its voice softened at the end, and I felt it’s talons leave my body.
“What do you mean? I don’t want to die! I just want to go home. Can’t you just leave me alone?” My matted hair fell in my face as I sobbed.
“You can’t go home. You're either mine or the forests.”
“Then take me to the forest. I never want to see you again.” My throat burned from all the screaming.
“As you wish” Its lumbering body knelt down, and with one sweep picked me up. My wounds throbbed at the contact. It threw me over its shoulder, and in a swift motion walked out the door. Its touch made my skin crawl and I wanted it’s hands off of me.
“Let me go! Don’t touch me!” My hands curled into fists and with the last of my strength I pounded into its back. Over and over until my hands felt numb. I craned my neck up, where were we going? I gasped as the walls turned black, the color fading to be replaced by darkness. My fists ceased their assault. Words scratched themselves onto the walls, the white lettering disappearing as we passed. We have to let her go. Im so sorry for your loss. Pull the plug. The words made no sense. As the last letter faded I swore I could hear weeping. The distant cry, and the words “please, bring my baby back.” The sorrowful sound filled the halls. Even though I did not recognize the voice, pain thrummed in my veins.
“We're here. Time to go.” It pushed open another pair of double doors and without warning threw me on the ground outside. The dead grass crunched under the weight of my body. A groan fell from my lips. The loud sound of a door slamming shut, then silence. It felt that the silence wore on for hours. Nothing happened. I felt like I was going crazy. A desperate cry left my mouth as I realized I was truly alone. Images swam through my skull. I women so familiar, sirens, pain. My wounds bled onto the yellow grass. I clutched my head between my hands, rocking back and forth. It was no longer silent. Images pierced my head, as my scream pierced the air. I turned towards the forest. Tall evergreen trees blocked out all light, and shadows decorated every inch. I could feel it in my bones. This looming forest wanted me. For what I don’t know. I almost wish the monster would come back, it was hungry, that’s why it wanted me. Yet this forest, it wasn’t hungry… But it wanted me anyway.


The author's comments:
I wrote this piece for a school paper. I really like the idea that not everything is as it seems. I've always loved reading and writing the horror/sci-fi/thriller genre.