A drop of Wonder | Teen Ink

A drop of Wonder

May 15, 2014
By Sam_yukta GOLD, New Delhi, Other
Sam_yukta GOLD, New Delhi, Other
19 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I had been dozing soundly for quite some time, owing to the exertion of the past few hours. The sun had laboriously heaved me and my friends from the cool depths of the ocean. At first I was loathe to part with the fish, the turtles and then I saw what you might call a "deep sea diver", most of her face obscured by a mask. she was swimming among the fish deftly and observing the coral with care and attention. I drifted away with the sweeping waves to find the boat she came from. It was emblazoned with the words "Society for Preservation of Natural Wealth." I was stunned. Here, in this pollution-ridden world, were people who could still cherish Mother Nature's little gifts; and moreover, were doing something to protect them. I left the ocean a happy fellow.
Now my existence was rather lofty and wafted over mountain peaks, vales and cities. An old woman sat by the side of the lamp-post of the street and begged people to guide her back to her village. All day long, men in their machines bustled by. Then, a group of labourers, returning from the day's toils, walked by. They took the old woman along, murmuring kind words in her ears. How I envied my friends who glistened as sweat on their honourable brows.
Then it seemed to me as if a great weight had come over me. Soon enough, undoubtedly, as has been happening for countless ages, I fell. My friends and I tumbled down, with unbridled laughter. In the land where I fell, a little girl clapped her hands with joy and ran out of her house. Her elation was short-lived; she was hauled back into the interiors and retribution followed. Then a new figure arrived at the house, probably an old uncle. He comforted the girl, led her out the door, into the pitter-pattering rain. I felt like a manna from the heaven, more precious than the morning diamonds of dew, when I mingled with the tear drops in that little girl's eyes. For I am a tiny drop of water.