Xavier | Teen Ink

Xavier

April 14, 2014
By Xaiver47 SILVER, Faribault, Minnesota
Xaiver47 SILVER, Faribault, Minnesota
7 articles 0 photos 3 comments

I woke up. Where am I? I struggled to my feet and looked around, trees everywhere. My head is pounding and every muscle in my body is sore. Now I remember the explosion, the destruction, everything. It has been exactly two days since it happened. I was in English class around 2 o’clock, when all of the sudden a loud bang went off somewhere else in the school. We were instructed to stay put, but I ran to the door, and out of the school. When I looked back nothing was there, just a giant open space. There was even green grass growing in the place where the school was. Only a few of my classmates escaped and they were as surprised as I was. So I ran.

Now I’m here in the middle of the woods, trying to escape. There wasn’t a doubt in my mind that this was the work of the man spotted in the school earlier that day. I’ve yet to meet up with anyone since it had happened; my guess is that the survivors are being hunted down. Wait what was that? I think someone’s approaching. I turned to see a girl 5’5, thin dirty blonde hair, misty blue eyes, and her skin seemed to be kissed with a red tint.

“Hey!” I shouted “who are you?”

She took off running, “wait” I called “stop please!”

The girl tripped over an uprooted tree and fell with a thud, I knelt beside her. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah I’m fine” she mumbled in reply.

“What’s your name?” I asked.

“Rosemary, but you can call me Rose, and your Xavier right?”

“Yeah we were in chemistry together last year, here” I said offering her a hand. We started trying to find something to eat. It’s so nice to have someone to travel with, I thought. It has been very lonely.

After countless hours of walking, we stopped at a riverbank to rest. Rose went off still looking for food, so I took a nap. “Want some berries?” she asked.

They were small, darkish blue and looked good. “Sure” I answered.

They burst in my mouth with sweetness, they were delicious. “Hey Rose? How did you escape How did you escape the…well you know.”

“I don’t really know, I was in the middle of gym class and a huge explosion went off and I was shot out of the building, luckily I landed in a puddle which broke my fall. What’s your story?”

“I don’t have one” I replied “my mom and dad died when I was little and my sister did a few years back, so I was sent to this military school.”

“I ‘m sorry I wish I could help in some way…”

“It would be ni……” A loud bang went off.

“Run!” I said

As soon as we took of a loud pair of footsteps began to follow us. Something tells me that this is the man that did this to us and to the school. “Stop, please, I want to help you!” The man called.

“Keep running!” Rose shouted.

We ran as fast as we could, then there was an opening: in front pf us a cliff. It was a very steep drop and there was a river at the bottom. We might make it if we jump, I thought. Now the man had caught up with us and he slowly pulled out a gun. “Which one of you wants to die first?” he asked with certain fierceness in his voice. Neither Rose nor I moved or said anything, “fine, I’ll shoot the girl first!” As he readied to pull the trigger it’s as if everything went into slow motion leaped in front of Rose and took the bullet into my chest. The piercing pain began to suck the life out of me. I fell to the ground with a loud thud.

“Xavier, don’t die. You can’t die!” Rose sobbed.

“It is okay” I whispered back “no one here cares about me anymore; at least I went out saving someone worth saving.” My last sight was Rose looking over the cliff, then my vision blurred into darkness.