Prison Break | Teen Ink

Prison Break

April 21, 2014
By Timothy Fredrick BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin
Timothy Fredrick BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Prison Break
“Ouch!” I yell reaction in pain.

“What’s wrong?” wondered Ruth as her head jerked around to look at me. Her face was contorted, and I could tell she was also in pain.

“I just scalded my arm by touching the steam pipe,” I explained as I bandaged my hurt arm.

“Yeah it’s hot in this maintenance shaft, but don’t worry; we’re almost out of it, just another 100 yards,” said Ruth.

“I really hope that this shaft leads us right to the prison, so we can get her out,” I said.

“It won’t lead us right to the prison but very close to it. We should only encounter a few guards,” declared Ruth.

“Good, move a little faster; remember she’s going to be executed at 9:30. That only leaves an hour for us to free her from her cell and get the escape pod without being detected,” I said.

They continued down the small shaft until they reached the small door that lead back into the main hallways.

“Check your guns and make sure they are loaded, use the tranquilizer rounds for now. Only use lethal shots in an emergency,” I said.

Flash back to the day before.

It’s year 2120 in mid-August, we’re on a space ship flying to The Presidential Space Station that orbits Earth. The President will be giving a speech later today on one of the most important topics ever: peace between all intelligent life in the galaxy and it will be broadcast to the entire galaxy. After the speech, all of the leaders of the different planets will sign a peace treaty.

My name is John Briggs; I am 24 years old, and I was born on planet Earth. I am one of the President’s personal escorts. The other escorts are my friends, Ruth Beckham and Lisa Black; they are both human also. All presidential escorts are of the same species as the President. I wake up bright and early today because I have a big day ahead of me. Today the President is giving a big speech. There will be huge crowds of people at the space station, and the President will need lots of protection today. After getting ready I meet the others at the President’s door at 6:00 a.m. sharp.

“Good morning,” I said.

“Good morning,” responded Ruth and Lisa.

“Sleep well?” I asked.

“I slept like a rock last night,” said Ruth.

“I didn’t sleep well at all last night. I had a bad dream, and I just had the feeling that something was going to go wrong today,” explained Lisa.

“What did you think would go wrong?” asked Ruth.

“I don’t know, I just had a feeling that the President is in danger,” stated Lisa.

“I doubt there is anything to worry about. You were just having some nervous jitters,” I explained.

The President finally came out of his room at 6:15 a.m. and from then on the day was just a blur until about an hour before the President’s speech. The large crowds of people started showing up; ship after ship they piled onto the space station. The forms of the people varied from humanoid to monstrous creatures.

“There are so many people here, more than I thought would be coming,” Ruth said to me.

“The President has allowed 100 of each species to come and there are a lot of species of people in this galaxy,” I stated.

“I know but I didn’t really think so many would show up,” said Ruth.

“I know how you’re feeling Ruth, I’m getting a little nervous about the crowds, too,” said Lisa.

Another 30 minutes passed before the crowds of people stopped showing up, and the President started to prepare for the biggest speech of his career.

“The closer we get to the President’s speech the more and more nervous I feel. I can’t explain it, but I think the President is going to be hurt,” stressed Lisa.

“Just remember that for anything to happen to the President they would have to get through us,” I said.

“I know but I’m still nervous. I can’t wait for this to get over with,” declared Lisa.

“I’m right there with you, I can’t wait for this to be over, too,” I said.

Then out of the corner my eye I saw a mysterious man lurking about in the shadows looking at the President. Lisa and Ruth also saw this man.

“This is exactly what happened in my dream last night! In my dream, that man killed the President. I gotta stop him!” exclaimed Lisa.

Lisa bolted after this man, running as fast as her legs could carry her. Her body slammed into the mysterious man with bone breaking strength. Seeing the man incapacitated Ruth and I rush over to see who the Mysterious man was. Lisa rolled the body over to see that it was Leader of Mars. We all stared at him with horror. We realized that she just caused some major trouble with this peace treaty.

“Maybe we will be able to explain this misunderstanding,” I suggested.

“I doubt it because this man is not the most peace loving person,” said Ruth.

After realizing her mistake Lisa went to the President and tried to explain the mix up.

“Mr. President I mistakenly tackled the Martian President,” said Lisa.

“You what????????” said Mr. President.

“I thought he was going to hurt you. I had a dream of those same circumstances and that person hurt you,” explained Lisa.

“I don’t care. Where is he? Is he hurt?” said Mr. President.

“He’s over here and he’s knocked out and going to need medical attention,” I said.

“Oh my God, when he comes to he’s going to give us all hell, and I think I’m going to have to postpone the speech/ treaty signing until tomorrow,” said Mr. President.

Three hours later, the Martian President wakes up in a hospital bed.

“What? What happened to me?” said the Martian President.

“You were tackled by one of the Earth President’s guards. You have a broken arm and some bruised ribs” said the nurse.

“Why in the hell did I get tackled?” said the Martian President.

Standing up from the corner of the room and coming over to the bed, “I mistook you for someone who was going to hurt the President,” said Lisa.

“My word, that is the most preposterous thing I’ve ever heard,” said the Martian President, “I demand to speak to the President.”

Lisa goes and fetches the President and begs him to convince the Martian President that it was truly a mistake.

“Mr. Martian this was a mistake on the part of one of my guards. I can promise you that it will never happen again if you allow her to get off with a warning,” said Mr. President.

“A warning? Really? That is an extreme offense on my planet. It results in execution,” said the Martian President.

“Don’t you think that’s a little extreme?” said Mr. President.

“No I don’t, and if you want me to sign that treaty you will execute this traitor,” said the Martian President.

“I’m sorry Lisa. We need that treaty signed. I’m really sorry,” said Mr. President.

“Escort this traitor to the prison,” said the Martian President.

I was brought back to the present when I heard the loud screeching of the maintenance shaft door.

I peer around the last corner to check for guards but surprisingly still no guards.

“That is the weirdest thing; I haven’t seen a guard yet. Where are they?” I whispered.

“I don’t know but let’s get Lisa and get out,” whispered Ruth.

We finally snuck into the prison; there was only one guard in the prison. I shot with a tranquilizer and he was out like a light. With such a lack of guards I started to get a little nervous. Soon after putting the guard to sleep we found the keys for all of the cell doors. It was surprisingly easy to find where Lisa was because she was the only prisoner. Ruth fumbled with the keys trying key after key, she finally came to the last key and it worked. We were relieved when the door started to creak open. The creaking startled Lisa inside; she thought her executioners were here early.

“Surprised to see us,” I said after I jumped through the door.

“Oh thank God it’s you guys. You can’t even imagine how happy I am to see you,” admitted Lisa.

“There’s no time for chit chat, put this on and get ready to leave,” I said as I handed her a bag of supplies including a bullet proof vest, a hand gun, ammo and a pair of military boots.

When Lisa was ready, we all started towards the exit of the prison, when I noticed that the guard I tranquilized was just gone.

“Did you move the guard?” I asked.

“No,” said Ruth worriedly, “Maybe the tranquilizer wore off and he went to find help.”

“Probably, let’s hope he hasn’t found it yet,” I declared as I raced to the door and peered out. “There are six guards out here all armed and ready to kill. We’re gonna have to fight our way out of this place.

“Where’s the nearest escape pod?” asked Lisa.

“Its past all of those men on the right hand side, about 100 yards down that hallway,” replied Ruth.

“Ok here’s the plan,” said Lisa, “We are going to fight our way through these men and make our way to the escape pod. I will get in the escape pod and jettison back to Earth. You two will make sneak your way back the way you came and act like you didn’t do anything. Alright?

“Why are you the only one leaving on the escape pod?” I asked.

“Because I’m the only one wanted dead,” said Lisa.

“But doesn’t this make us fugitives also?” asked Ruth.

“Yes but the President owes me a favor so we will be able to get off without punishment as long as we aren’t caught by someone of authority,” I noted.

“Okay good,” said Lisa, “let’s get going.’

“Wait a minute, your leaving out one important thing. What are you going to do when you get back to Earth?” asked Ruth.

“I don’t know. I guess I will start an ordinary life. I will stay hidden but I’m sure after about the first year they will stop looking, and as long as I don’t ever go back to Mars I’ll be safe,” said Lisa.

“I promise I will come and visit you after all of this is over,” I promised.

“Okay let’s get going because they’re starting breach formation, either we go out or they come in,” announced Ruth.

I throw out a flash bang right as the guards are coming out of their cover. With nowhere to run, the guards took the full force of the flash bang in their eyes, blinding them. With them blinded, Ruth, Lisa and I storm through the prison door with guns in hand. I shot the two of the guards on the right, Lisa got the two on the left and Ruth got the one in the middle. With them tranquilized, we ran up to them just in time to see another group of guards racing towards us. Luck is on our side though; the group of guards was coming from the opposite direction that we needed to go; sprinting as fast as we could run turning around only to fire at the following guards. By the time we reached the escape pod there was no one following us. They were all sleeping in the hallway.

“Well I guess this is where I leave,” said Lisa

“I’m really going to miss you,” I said.

“I’m going to miss both of you guys,” Lisa cried out, throwing her arms around both and hugging us for a long time.
“Well you better run back to your quarters before more guards come,” cried Lisa as she was climbing into the escape pod, and without any more words she shut the door and jettisoned away to Earth.

Ruth starts crying but before her crying gets too loud, I say, “We need to go.”

Racing back to our quarters, we arrived just before the Martian Guards came to see if we were still there. They finally found out that Lisa had escaped. I really found it amazing that no one radioed for help or as a warning of her escape. With this fault of the guards and with us still in our quarters it was really hard for the Martian President to pin the crime on us. When I cashed in my favor from the President he eliminated all thoughts of it. The President also gave Lisa immunity of her crimes as long as she stayed on Earth.

Eleven months later

In the end all things worked out. Ruth and I both continued being the President’s guards. The President’s speech ended up causing his popularity to sky rocket, and later he became the President of the galaxy. With his success and his caring heart, he gave Lisa the job of being the Treasurer of Earth. She enjoys this job a lot.

All in all my life has been good since the prison break.