Soft Voices | Teen Ink

Soft Voices

March 22, 2014
By SaraBear25 BRONZE, Nicasio, California
SaraBear25 BRONZE, Nicasio, California
4 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
Stay gold, Ponyboy.


“The dead are not always the dead.” She said with a mumbled Russian accent mixed with smoker lungs, gliding an old bony hand around the crystal ball. “Even after burial, many stay behind to watch over us. Just because they are buried, doesn't mean they are gone.” She stood, wrapping her multicolored shawl tight around her shoulders. She reached for a hand mirror that was resting, glass down, on a dresser. “There are few ways you can see them, but they are everywhere.”
She looked into the mirror and with the edge of her shawl, cleaned it. She sat back down slowly, grunting a little and grasping the back of the chair for support. She cleared her throat. “Searching for souls! Spirits divine! Show me the ancestors of Lori Evens!” She flipped the mirror around, I stared back at myself. All the candles blew out at once except the one at the table.
The medium stared intently at me with her one good eye. The other was clouded over with a jagged scar from her forehead to her cheek on her aged skin. “Look into the mirror dear, look past your own reflection.” I took it from her, straining my eyes to see other faces, but only my own stared back. Suddenly the glass illuminated and my own face vanished. I brought my hand to my lips as the faces appeared in quick succession. I felt my jaw drop.
“Say the name of the person you wish to see. Quickly dear, before they disappear.” She looked excited.
“Willow Evens!” I said sternly to the glass. The faces stopped and I saw a young face materialize. Seeing her, I began to feel tears drip from my eyes. The young face smiled. “Hi baby!” I said, choking back sobs. The fortune teller leaned back in her chair, watching me cry into the mirror.
“Say what you need to say, dear, before the connection is lost. It never last longer than a few minutes.”
Fingers appeared in the bottom of the glass and I pressed the tips of my fingers to them, but I still could not touch her. “I’m so sorry baby. I’m so sorry.”
The young face was sympathetic; shaking her head, mouthing “it’s not your fault”.
“Oh, but baby… it is my fault. I should have paid more attention to you. I should have known that you were suffering. I could have saved you. I love you, baby. I love you so much and I miss you.” A tear formed in the eye of the girl. She wiped it away.
“I am where I want to be” she mouthed. “I am finally happy.”
“I love you, mom.” She mouthed as she slowly faded from the glass.
“No!” I shouted. “No, Willow! Don’t leave me again.” I gripped the mirror so tight my knuckles were white.
“I’m always with you.” She mouthed, and smiled, she was beautiful, and she always will be. The mirror went dark.