Game of wonders | Teen Ink

Game of wonders

By samsmuly BRONZE, Bayside, Wisconsin
samsmuly BRONZE, Bayside, Wisconsin

One glorious summer day Evan (13) was looking through the attic with his parents for old stuff. His sister Sophie (15) was probably in her room on her iPod listening to music that was blasting loud. Her parents always said to her, “Sophie you will go deaf unless you turn that thing down.” Her mom mostly says this, but sometimes it is her dad. Evan’s parents told him to go downstairs after them for lunch. They were putting away the memories as they said this. Evan said, “In a minute mom.” Then his parents went to get Sophie. Evan then found something that looked like a game. Evan shouted to his sister Sophie to hurry to the attic. She said as she was coming up, “What do you want Evan?!” Evan said that he found a game that neither of them had ever seen before.

Evan and his sister had only one thing in common; they are both curious. If they find something, they open it up right away. As Evan took the game out, a sticky note fell off the bottom of the box. They did not notice it. The sticky note said Beware if you open this box..Sophie blew the dust off the cover as she held the box in her hand. The name of the game was THE GAME OF WONDERS.
After they read the title Sophie asked if they should open it. Evan said, “C’mon Sophie, I think we should open it because it will stick to the back of our minds.” After that they opened the box. Inside the box was a smaller box. This box just fits inside the original box. That box had a lock. Then they found a sticky note on top of the box. This note said if you figure out the code you can play this game. Right next to the sticky note was a row of ten different designs, covered by a glass cover.
Next to the designs was a lever. It was similar to a slot machine, but it had ten designs instead of three. “This could take forever if we have to pull this and match all ten designs,” Evan complained while pulling it for the first time. He did not get it the first time. “Let me try,” Sophie said as she pushed Evan aside. Then she pulled the lever and got ten monsters. “Alright,” Sophie said full of joy. Then she opened the second box. There was another sticky note inside the box on the folded game. It said, Congratulations, you got the code. You will be seeing a lot of the objects you spun during this game. Now you shall open the game. Then Evan tried to open the game. The game would not open. Then all of the sudden a key appeared in Sophie’s hand. Sophie gave the key to Evan. “What is this for,” Evan said. “I don’t know,” Sophie said. When they turned around there was a lock on the game. So they unlocked the game and unfolded it. There was another sticky note inside that said Press the button in the middle to start their game.
Then Evan immediately pressed the button before Sophie could stop him. Then the floor sunk, but they did not sink with it. They were floating for about a minute until the whole room changed to look like the underworld. The difference is that they were the only ones there.

Back at the house Evan and Sophie’s mom said “Sophie and Evan McNutt get down here it is time for dinner.” Then their dad said “Alright I am coming up to drag you lazy kids downstairs.” When their dad came to the attic there was no one there. “Honey you have to see this,” Mr.McNutt said. Mrs.Nutt hurried upstairs. They searched all over the house, every nook and cranny of the house to be exact. They got extremely worried about their kids. There was no trace of them. Then they checked the attic one more time. They found the game lying open in the middle of the floor. They did not move mouths open and wide-eyed were what their parents were like. Then the dad said, “I remember this game and we almost got killed in it. We have to go in to find the kids.” “I Think we should give them some time to escape because if they do not escape in the time within we are going back in,” Mrs. McNutt said.
Meanwhile, “Evan, where are we,” asked Sophie who was a little frightened. “I don’t know,” Evan said who was trying to hide his fright, but anybody could see it. Then out of nowhere a screen popped up in front of them. The screen said, congratulations for getting this far. Now you will have to learn how to survive in a monster infested area. All of them will try to kill you besides one. this monster will help you escape. if you find him you are in good shape. before you find him try to find a place to stay. Then the screen went away. Then the kids went on their way to find some shelter. Then they walked for what seemed like hours, but didn’t find any shelter.
Then they started joking around because for the time they walked they didn’t see any of the monsters. They kept on walking for about ten more minutes then they found shelter. It was a cave that was pretty small so they kept on trudging. After walking for a little longer they decided that they would not find any other shelter so they went back to the cave they found.
Right when they both got to the cave they sat down, both started getting lost in their thoughts. A couple minutes later Sophie was asleep and Evan was dosing off. Then Evan jerked up because a light was shining close to the opening of the cave. It looked like the light was coming from a flashlight. As the light got closer they started hearing heavy footsteps. The footsteps came closer and the heavy stomping got louder until the light shined on them. They were in complete shock and frightened. They did not dare to move a muscle. The monster said, “Hello my name is Bob. Don’t worry I will not hurt you. You must be playing the Game of Wonders because no humans can be here unless they have foolishly opened the Game of Wonders.
The last time I had visitors was a long time ago. They almost got me killed and themselves killed. Now, if I could just remember their names.” The monster though and after a couple of minutes he said, Oh yeah I remember their names they were Blake and Denise McNutt.” Then Sophie and Evan shared a glance and said almost in unison, “Those are our parents.” Well, I hope you do not play the game the way they did. They just went all out for the objective and almost got beheaded by the guards,” Then the monster said sort of boasting, “but luckily I was there to save them.
Then they sat in silence for a couple minutes and all of the sudden out of the blue Evan asked, “Where are all of the other monsters on this island… planet, or whatever you call it. It almost took Bob less than three seconds to come up with an answer. He said, “All the other monsters are on the other side of this area which is a pretty far distance. Only once or twice I have seen one stagger over here lost.” Then Sophie fired another question at Bob and asked why he was the only one living in this area. Then Bob responded, “The other monster on the other side, were trained to attack, kill or capture anything or anyone they did not recognize. Then Bob warned them, “If they see you they will probably try to do those things to you too,” he also told them, “Those guards guarding the castle most likely recognize me since the monsters are the most common choice on the machine.”
After that Evan asked, “How do we leave this area thingy.” In response Bob said, “Inside the king monster’s room there is a big glass case in the corner. The glass case is sealed shut, but somewhere in the castle is the key. Unfortunately I do not know where the key is. It is usually up to the players to find it.”
Since you guys are nice and actually listened to me unlike your parents I will risk my life so you can escape. Your parents on the other hand just left right away instead of listening to what I had to say so they will get the key. They still got it, but they almost gave this spot away. Then Bob said, “The guards who guard the castle are not strong, but when you step inside the castle there will be a guard in every hallway.” Then he told them that he will lead them to the castle and then they are on their own.
So the kids and Bob walked for a while and then reached the castle. During this walk they saw a ton of animals they have ever seen before. They were about to walk right up to the castle since the guards circle the castle and they were on the backside. Then Bob told them to wait a second. The kids stopped and Bob gave each one of them a sword. Then the guards came back to the front and they had to hide. After their backs were turned they took their swords and swung at the monster guards. They both fell to the floor and blood was dripping from their heads. Then Evan said, “If killing all the monsters are that easy, then we can get to the key fast.” Then Sophie told him to remember what
Bob said. Then she told him the monster said that the guards guarding the outside were the easiest. They did not want anybody to see the dead guards so they threw the bodies in the bushes. The kids also did not want to walk right in the castle and start to kill everybody. After Sophie told Evan that they tried to think of a way to sneak inside the building. They started scanning the area and saw a vent that was a little high for Sophie. Evan said that she should give him a boost up and then he could pull her up.
Once they both got in the air vent they started to crawl. Sometimes there was a choice of ways and they decided to use the pattern left right left right. They looked in every space that was on the bottom leading to a room. They saw the kitchen. The kitchen smelled bad. It smelled like rotten eggs. The cook took the eggs outside because it was rotten eggs. The kids broke the vent and hopped in the kitchen. They were about to leave when he opened the door and came in the kitchen. They hid behind shelves with pot and pans.
Then once the cook turned his back they jumped out of their hiding spot and Sophie took her sword and stuck it through his a back. While that was happening Bob followed their path and actually got it right because he used the same pattern. He got to the kitchen area and saw the kids. Even though he saw them he did not let them know he was there. They were about to climb up back to the vent because the king was calling over the intercom. Then Bob crawled back about thirty feet and let the kids come in. The kids did not see him still. As he continued following them when he passed the kitchen area that the vent led to and closed it because he heard the king about to open the door. The kids were still crawling when they came to a three way path. Sophie said that they should split up and call the other one if they find the room. Then Evan said that he wished they had a third person to go through the middle path.
That’s when Bob showed himself. “How long have you been following us,” Sophie asked while trying to turn around. Then bob told them how he followed them and when he started following them. Then they told him to take the middle path. He agreed because he only knew how to call on a phone. He did not know how to text. So he said that he would call since he has been in this vent ever since the game was played.
Then Sophie asked Bob how many times people have spun monsters. Then he told them that the thing is made to get monsters the second time the person spins, so if you do not get anything on your first try you get monsters. So they took all their passage ways and the one thing they did not know is that on the third pick one of the two passageways they had to repeat left. Instead they went right. That means that they will not reach the room with the throne. They all reached a lot of rooms since the castle has about 109 rooms. They also did not know that after that choose one of the three passageways there is no more choose one out of whatever passageways. In every room each one of them passed there was some talking. Some were just men, some were just women, and some were men and women.
Sophie was the first one to reach a dead end since the path she took was the shortest. The one that was the longest was the middle path, but since the monster had legs that were too long for his body he could cover a lot of ground quickly. That was why he was the second to reach a dead end.
Once Bob reached the dead end he called Sophie. Sophie said that they should head back to the three way passage. They returned and called Evan. Evan said that someone saw him because they pointed right at him and said look there is a young boy crawling in the vent. Fortunately that was the last vent until the dead end so he crawled back. After that Sophie and the monster heard footsteps behind them. Then they called Evan and told him to stay where he is right now because they heard a guard crawling through the vent. Then he asked them if they were taking the paths that they originally took and they said they were coming to him on his path. Evan stayed there and they arrived.
They waited for a couple minutes and it turns out the guard took the last path and once he finished that path they knew he would go to the middle path. So Bob went into the kitchen, took the hat and the apron and started crawling towards the guard. We he saw the guard he told him that he already checked to the two other paths and killed an intruder with a butcher’s knife. So the guard went out of the vent and told everybody that there was no one up there.
Then everybody had a sigh of relief. So they just kept talking and they kept crawling through the vent. They went back and finally found their mistake. There was only one vent that lead to the ground and that was the room with the key. The guards were guarding on the outside of the door so they could get in. The king was not in the room either so the kids had only one shot and one shot at the key. They had to keep it quiet so they could get the key.
They got all the way to the key when they figured that the glass case was bolted to the ground. They went back to the monster and asked what they should do. Bob said that one of them should break the glass and the other grab the key. Then they should both run back here and he will pull them up and they could go home. So since Evan was the faster one he would grab the key. Since Sophie vegetated most of her life the only thing she could do is run, but not as fast as Evan.
Sophie lifted her sword and took a hard swing at the glass case. It broke and the guards started sprinting in. Evan grabbed the key and ran as fast as he could. The monster helped Evan up and as they were about to get Sophie up a guard grabbed her foot. They were fighting over Sophie when Evan took his sword and cut the guards arm off he screamed and other guards rushed into the scene. Then he told them to surround the castle in case they came out from anywhere. Then the kids plus the monster went into the kitchen. They saw that no guards had gotten to the back yet. They snuck into the castles garden about fifty feet back behind the castle. They went around in bushes until there was a 100 yard opening between the bushes they were in and the bushes far away.
They were going to have to take a mad dash. They all started to sprint across the field. Sophie was running a lot faster that she was in the castle because she started last and was about five feet ahead of them. When they were about half way the guards saw them. The guards started chasing after them. Actually about fifteen guards were chasing them.
The guards were catching up fast. The guards slowed down for a couple minutes. Then the guards came to a complete stop and so did the kids and the monster. They both needed to catch their breath. Then the guards started running again and so did they. When they were about fifty yards away Bob told them to keep running and unlock the door and go home. Bob stopped and started charging at the guards weaponless. Each guard had a sword.
He gave the kids an extra ten second even though he died the kids’ escaped. When they got home they felt so sorry for Bob. THyr got teleported back through the game and into their own house. Then a guard started to come into their house from the game. Then they realized that they forgot to close it. Then Evan took out his sword and killed the guard. After that Sophie threw the dead body back into the game and closed it. Then she locked it. They were so happy to see their parents and they rushed down stairs and they all started hugging each other.
Then Evan told his mom that they will never ever touch that game again. Then he was about to throw it away when his mom told him he should not because what if somebody else finds it. So after the parents put the game away they just went back to enjoying the rest of their summer.

a project for 5th grade