The Sorrowful Doll | Teen Ink

The Sorrowful Doll

By tinyteenie2 GOLD, Alliance, Ohio
tinyteenie2 GOLD, Alliance, Ohio

One day, while browsing in an antiques store downtown, I found an old and rare doll that I decided to buy for my daughter.The doll was no bigger than a small stuffed teddy bear, dressed as a realistic schoolgirl from the 1600’s, it had a white porcelain face with light blue eyes and brown hair it reminded me of my daughter Susan who is seven years old. A few days later, my daughter walked up to me with a frightened look on her face and told me her doll could talk. At first I didn’t believe her, until one afternoon when I was the only one in the house. I had entered her bedroom to see if it was clean, since I asked her to clean it earlier. While observing her clean room I saw the doll, which after a few minutes called me by my name, “m-o-m-m-a”
I stopped and slowly turned towards the doll, which began to laugh, and then spoke in a young girl’s voice, “Thank you for buying me.”I nodded slowly, then quickly left the room. My heart was racing as I calmed myself down, realizing that my daughter had told me the truth. I was also facing one of my fears. A talking porcelain doll, I braced myself, then walked back into the room and asked the doll, “How can you talk?” The doll answered, “I was not always a doll.” I stared at the doll, confused, wondering what this meant. The doll then asked, “Where is Susan?” I replied calmly, “At her grandmother’s.” The doll’s voice turned angry. “Why did she leave me here?” I answered, “Because she is afraid of you.” Sadly, I felt proud to be saying that to the creepy talking doll, until I noticed its face.
The doll began to cry,then a ghost of a young girl that looked just like the doll appeared. “I just wanted to play, so I wouldn’t be lonely anymore,” sniffled the ghost. From her appearance, I guessed that she had had some sort of accident and died young while her friends disappeared. I sighed and told her with a tone of sympathy, “I know.” The young girl ghost turned back into a doll and decided to never speak again. When Susan came home, she played with the doll, which made the young ghost girl happy. I noticed that a small smile appeared on the doll once Susan started playing with her. I wondered how long the young girl ghost would stay in the doll. The next day, Susan asked me, “Momma, how did the doll talk?” I decided to tell her the truth “It was a ghost.”
She looked at me as if I was insane. “A ghost?” I nodded while telling her, “She’s gone now, though, since she is at peace and no longer feels lonely. I could tell that my daughter was feeling sorry about being afraid of the doll, now that she realized all the doll wanted was a friend. After learning about the ghost, Susan took extra-special care of the doll, in case the young girl ghost ever came back.