Surveillance | Teen Ink

Surveillance

February 20, 2014
By Anonymous

The man stepped out of the car and walked across the wet, marshy ground. Briefcase in hand, he walked into a three story building with camouflage paint on the walls and surveillance cameras mounted at every corner. This was the federal secret surveillance building, and the man was coming to bring secret information and advancements in the needed technology. He slid his ID through the scanner at the front door and entered the building. The top three stories comprised of office buildings and the two below ground levels were the testing and material storage units. The man walked into a small conference room dominated by a large wooden table in the middle. Four other people were sitting at the table. After exchanging some words of greeting, the man opened his suitcase and laid out a thick sheaf of paper including sketches, diagrams and masses of calculations that the other people picked up with anticipation. This was the final step and the key to their top project yet, one that would allow the government to spy on anyone, almost anywhere it desired.
Several weeks later the man came back to the obscure building in Florida to check on the progress the other people and their crew members had made. He entered the same way he had before and proceeded to the same conference room. Once there, he was met by two people that he had not met last time. They asked him if he was ready to see their new invention and then proceeded to a small door in the corner of the room. The man found himself in a small whitewashed hallway with heavy rubber suits hanging on both sides. The man slipped into the suit, his guides helped him zip it up and fit the breathing mask over his face. The three then proceeded down a flight of stairs and came to the bottom level of the building. The first thing both of them saw were cages and cages full of rats. Other people in similar rubber suits were walking back and forth and feeding them. After walking through a vacuumed room to remove any contaminants, they ended up in a small room with a massive glass globe in center. This globe was full of mosquitoes with the rats that the man saw earlier lying on the bottom. Several tubes branched out from this main sphere. Two of the tubes went outside the room into the breeding grounds and the rest went into a small machine that had small copper wires sticking out of it. The breeding room was also known as the genetics room.
It was here that mosquitoes were genetically altered to live much longer, and survive harsh conditions such as freezing temperatures or low air pressure that would kill ordinary mosquitoes. These mosquitoes were transferred to the small machine where a miniscule bundle of electronics was inserted into each one. This was the last part the scientists had needed in order to control the insects and receive input from their sensory and vision. In effect, turning small pests into miniature drones incapable of detection.
The guides led the man over to a small console that controlled the mosquitoes as a swarm, or as a few individuals. They activated the console and showed the man how to control the insects and open a visual link that allowed the viewer to alternate the view from mosquito to mosquito allowing for an almost 360 view of the surrounding area. However, when the guides tried to open up an audio link, the machine shorted out spectacularly, spraying a shower of nuts and bolts at the large glass globe at the center of the room. The man and his guides leapt back, tripped over each other and slammed against globe. This shattered and the thousand of mosquitoes encased within went swarming into the air. The three people were immediately overwhelmed with the insect swarm and the blaring alarms that signified their release. Several seconds later, the emergency vacuums that were positioned in the ceiling kicked in and with a deafening roar sucked the mosquitoes away. Several hours later, the man came out of the building, happy that the audio problem was solved and his work was finally complete. Completely unbeknownst to the man was the tiny mosquito larvae that got lodged into the fabric of the man’s suit. They quickly hatched, and flew into the humid Florida sky…