Issue 7703 | Teen Ink

Issue 7703

December 9, 2013
By Jillian_Colrain BRONZE, Redwood Shores, California
Jillian_Colrain BRONZE, Redwood Shores, California
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Voter-103: The following issues must be voted on by informed decision only. As a voter you do not have bias, so an opinion will not influence your decision. If a bias is found to be part of your decision re-education is required. You will be re-taught, you are not a person. People have bias. You do not have bias. The issues given will be hypothetical until the time when it is decided you have the ability to make a complete informed decision. Once your ability to make logical decisions is validated you will be given authentic issues to vote on. You will not be informed of this change. Do you have a complete and clear understanding of the conditions of the vote?
*****
I read the paragraph in front of me. It is the same that appears on the screen every cycle before the vote. I know it by heart, but I must read it. It is part of the vote. “You are not a person. People have bias. You do not have bias.” They told me this when they took the name I had as a person. They told me when I became a voter. They remind me of this every cycle before the vote. It is part of the vote. I must be reminded.
I remember the day they took my name. It was the same day I became a voter.
Mrs. Stafle was there. She was my mother when I was a person, before I became a voter. As a voter I do not have a mother. People have mothers. People have bias. Voters are not people.
I remember Mrs. Stafle looking down at me with the corners of her mouth pulled a little too widely, in an expression I am told is happiness. I do not need happiness because emotion leads to bias. People have emotion. People have bias. I am not a person. I do not have bias. I remember Mrs. Stafle gripping my hand tightly and causing pain. It was unpleasant. Then I was taken to a Voter’s Room. I live here, but it is not my room or home. Voters have no need for possessions or residences because voters are not people, people have bias, and we do not have bias.
I remember walking over to the screen. The words flashing across the screen.
You are no longer Thy Stafle you will now be called Voter-103. It is not a name because people have names and you are not a person. You are a voter. You will now be educated on how not to be a person, how not to have bias. You will be re-educated if it is decided that you need to be reminded. Do you understand?
I did not then. I do now. Thy Stafle was a name for me as a person. I am not a person. I am a voter. I understand. I was chosen out of the mass of the society before I was corrupted by bias, before I was a person. I had the potential to make an unbiased decision. I had the potential to be a voter.
The screen blinked with insistence. I had not answered the question to begin the vote. I must show I understand. I understand.
*****
Issue 7703: The Ebola Virus is spreading at an accelerated rate through the population. A relatively small portion of the population that is evolutionarily immune to the effects of the virus. They can pass on the virus without it affecting them and becoming symptomatic. These individuals are aiding the spread of the virus to non-immune individuals. The carriers have assured survival of this epidemic, assured the survival of the mass of society. If the carriers are euthanized the spread of the Ebola virus will be significantly slowed. Which is the logical choice; allow the immune to live or euthanize them?
*****
The words run through my brain. I analyze them. I will determine the logical choice. I will not have bias. I will not be re-educated.
If the immune of the population live, then all others will die. The deaths of the many are assured. Voters are chosen to represent diversity. If the majority of society dies, diversity will die. The Voters chosen will not be able to make unbiased decisions. There will not be Voters. Without voters society would crumble. This is not the logical choice.
If the immune are euthanized, then the mass of society may be saved, but all who are left will be vulnerable to the virus. All who are left may die. There may be none of humanity left.
This is not the logical choice.
This is not the logical choice… I must find the logical choice….
There is no logical choice…. I must find the logical choice….
There is no logical choice….
I am a Voter. I am not biased…. I must find the logical choice.…
There is no logical choice… I am a Voter. I am unbiased. I must find the logical choice….
There is no logical choice….
I MUST find the logical choice…. I MUST FIND THE LOGICAL CHOICE!!!!!!!
The screen blinked with insistence. I had not answered the question.