Memories | Teen Ink

Memories

By Altaria624 SILVER, Cypress, Texas
Altaria624 SILVER, Cypress, Texas

"Cherish the moment. Tower the skies. Don't let the dreamer fade to gray like grass."
-Tuomas Holopainen

A boy woke from a deep sleep and began to walk through the forest when something caught his eye. Beneath a large oak tree was an old wooden chest nestled between its roots and sealed by a golden lock. Curiously, the boy approached the chest and tried to open it with all his might. Despite his efforts, the box wouldn’t open without a key so he began to scan the ground for one. Everywhere he looked, there appeared to be no sign of a key or anything that could pry the box open. Far off in the distance, something caught his eye.
Glimmering inside a cave, something strange was sparkling. How could something be shining that brightly from so far away? It clearly wasn’t natural; perhaps he should investigate. Just as he entered the cavern, the boy turned around and saw an old man dressed like some sort of wizard. Kneeling down, the man held a shimmering golden key in the palm of his hand.
“Listen closely my lord,” the man said through hurried breaths. “Monsters are invading the forest as we speak and you are no longer safe here; it is vital that you simply open the chest, take the contents and run.”
None of this was making any sense whatsoever-the old man, the golden key, and particularly the man address of “my lord” all seemed horribly confusing. Only a few hours ago, he had awoken without any memory of who he was, and somehow he felt that unlocking the chest would help jog his memory. “Prepare to run,” the old man ordered, “Whatever you do, don’t forget to-”
Quickly an arrow whizzed by and pinned the old man to the wall; before the boy could react, the same archer pointed another arrow in his direction.
Run.
Sprinting out of the cave was his only option. The old man shouted the rest of his instructions, but they were incomprehensible over the roar of the mysterious army chasing him. Underneath the setting sun, he ran and dodged arrows until he reached the massive oak tree where he found the mysterious chest. Whipping out the golden key, he opened the box and found a piece of paper. XII, presumably Roman numerals for twelve was written at the top, above a brief letter which he immediately read.
“You are King Fredrick XII and your memory has been taken from you; the contents of this box may help you on your search.”
Zero time to spare, Fredrick brushed the letter aside and found two items- a diamond encrusted sword and a portrait of a beautiful girl; two items that somehow or another could bring back his memories.

A fun story for my creative writing class where each of the 26 sentences starts with a different letter of the alphabet.