Essence of Life | Teen Ink

Essence of Life

By DaftPunked17 BRONZE, Manitowoc, Wisconsin
DaftPunked17 BRONZE, Manitowoc, Wisconsin

Look at the bones!-Monty Python

The vast expanse of black darkness looks as though it holds so much promise; so many stars I’ll never have the chance to feel the warmth of, creatures I’ll never have the privilege of meeting, and technology I’ll probably never witness. The night’s breeze began to chill as I sat in the inactive par. There was an old man casually approaching me, he had a cane and walked slowly but steadily.
The man reached out his hand, “May I have a seat?” the man beckoned toward the park bench, he sounded gentle but indifferent.
“Go right ahead,” I said plainly the sky still captivating my main interest, “I’m just stargazing.” The man took off his hat and examined me for a second then looked to the sky as well.

“It’s a shame,” I was taken back a moment, did he know what I was thinking? He continued, “the universe stares back at us every night and all we can do is wonder what secrets it holds even though they are right in front of us, but just too hard to see.”
“And all we have are statistics and theories. It’s frustrating to know I will probably not live to see it,” I said with a sigh.

“Son, look at me,” I turned to face him, “I am 74 years old, and you look to be in your 30s, you have more time than me, enjoy it,” he sounded strict but sincere.
“I suppose,” I grinned, “do you think aliens exist?”

“I know so.” he claimed with absolute certainty.
“How can you be so sure?” I quizzed.

“Let me tell you something, I’ve never told anyone this before but,” he pointed to the ground about twenty yards ahead in an open field, more specifically a circle in the grass in which it did not grow, “that big spot there... the grass will not grow there... it hasn’t in sixty-five years.” It was odd, I was confused.
“Do you know why?” I pressed.

“Not exactly, but it happened when I was just eight years old,” he paused for a moment, “I was stargazing just like we are now, it was about nine o’clock and I ran away from my foster home and hid here. I was crying when I noticed a small dim light darting across the sky.... it was fast... but it seemed to be getting slower as did the tears rolling down my cheek. It was captivating,” he paused again.
“A comet maybe?” I suggested.

“No no... it was different, soon it stopped moving, and it began to get brighter, bigger and then that’s when I realized it was coming towards me!” his voice escalated with the story; like a ball rolling down a hill gaining momentum, slowed, “I did nothing but watch, then there was a flash! Everything was white... I thought I was blind!” he caught his breath and lowered his voice down to a hush, “there it was.”
“An alien?” I chimed in disbelief, he was serious.

He looked me in the eye with what seemed to be sadness. “It was so beautiful, it looked almost woman-like except it was also spirit-like.. it was... She was a dim glowing green. She looked at me and I stared directly at her. She was dying, I could feel it. Then it began to reach out to me...” he stood up reaching out almost as if he was reliving the very same moment from that many years ago.
“What did it do?” I hurried.
“It gave me this....” he presented a metallic tennis ball sized orb from his pocket, it had symmetrical crevices in it that revealed a dim green light. “...I have been coming here almost every night since then... waiting,” he let out the greatest sight yet, “I’m tired and old, you should have it.”
He held the alien artifact out to me. I reached for it and it suddenly became the brightest neon green light I could have ever imagined! It arose out of my hand and became so blinding that I had to shield my eyes. When I opened my eyes seconds later night had turned to day and everything seemed so pure and full of life, the air smelt so fresh; like all pollution was absent. I looked back to the old man; he had dropped his cane and stood up straight. The wrinkles on his face have all but gone, he looked young again. All the trees and grass grew; they looked as vibrant as ever. The artifact fell back to my hands. That is when I knew what it was, it was the essence of life crafted into a small alien sphere. It had the potential to build civilizations where there is nothing. It could bring life to where there is none at all.