The Cowardly General | Teen Ink

The Cowardly General

By Ben.J32 BRONZE, Tampa, Florida
Ben.J32 BRONZE, Tampa, Florida

General Harris, “When do we approach this far off galaxy you speak of?” The Nieange galaxy as others call it the “Neon Galaxy.” “Soon, very soon Vice,” said General Harris be patient.

Young James will announce it when we get closer. Well it’s just … everyone is a little anxious now to go back to your quarters this might take awhile. “Yes sir,” replied vice as he walked slowly back to his vast quarters. This was the end of the rebellion for good many had hoped. The rebellious forces classified this as a win but it wasn’t. The rebellious forces and the U.S. military signed a treaty about a month ago now declaring the end of the war. Everyone still felt the war wasn’t close to over. There was something that the rebellious forces felt wasn’t right.

Since 2077 to 2090 the rebellious forces had been at war against the high class citizens and the U.S. military. The U.S. military and high class citizens had because of the increasing amount of damage to Earth had taken pity on the Rebels and signed a treaty declaring the rebels independent.

Things were still not right as there was tension between both sides still existing. Our generals on all three battle cruisers were all on alert of rebel activity. I began now worrying about a battle that should have been an easy win. We were all vulnerable of the Rebels attacked any ship. If the Rebels did attack, the battle was theirs to win.

I appeared the front part of the the ship covered with clear glass and locked but was then interrupted by a disturbing few words. “General Wallences ship is under attack with the president inside. Those words rung through my head as I stood in awe of what was happening. What are you doing General Harris, do something said a soldier of many I did not know nor did I care to know. “Quiet,” I yelled. I make the orders on this cruiser and I only now get at least let me think.” He walked off stricken with fear exactly as I wanted. I then waited about a minute deep in thought of what was going on thinking of any kind of battle strategy, any way to defeat the nasty Rebels. I sighed and took a few breaths. Boom! The whole cruiser shook. I flew back 10 feet hitting the glass looking out into the pitch black space with the only thing illuminating it was stars far out in the distance. I felt something rolling down my back slippery and warm. I reached to the back of my head. My hand was a dark red blood. I had a responsibility and accountability to my men. I then turned up the microphone that spoke through a PA system throughout the ship. The ship is on a lockdown this is not a drill this is not a drill all men report to your battle stations. The ship was overrun by rebels in minutes. The two doors sealing the entrance out were taking a beating with one knock after another. I at this point had two choices fight bravly or abandon the ship.

“Protect the doors and form a barrier on the doors, I blurted out reinforcements will come shortly,” I assured the two guards of mine. They seemed excited to be accomplishing such a task. Before they could mutter out any response I had poured the handle that no one ever bothered to notice off. The handle was to match that held on to an escape pod. I climbed in the musty pod that would make anybody claustrophobic. The pod navigated me to the nearest planet in the Niange Galaxy. I only hoped I did not await the same fate as both of my loyal guards. There was no reinforcements coming it was a big lie I had to make in order to escape. There were three ships that based on the radio communications I was getting the only thing coming is the Generals and a few soldiers taken hostage. I had only gone half a mile out in space from the cruiser when I heard a loud thud. I then started to sweat a large fire had engulfed the pod.