The Barrow Chronicles: Book 1: The British Are Coming | Teen Ink

The Barrow Chronicles: Book 1: The British Are Coming

By AdamIsAwesomeish BRONZE, CooperCity, Florida
AdamIsAwesomeish BRONZE, CooperCity, Florida

Live in the present, remember the past, and fear not the future, for it doesn't exist and never shall. There is only now.- Christopher Paolini

As my ship flew through the sky I was having a complete panic attack. That clear little orb was working fine from London all the way to Manchester. And then everything went wrong. Lights began flashing on the dashboard saying that stabilization was faulty. "Crap!!" I shouted as I began spinning out of control. I had known this could possibly happen but it was such a low chance with only a 5% system failure rate. Well I guess that was why I was testing it. "Overheat! Overheat! System failure imminent! Prepare to be evacuated!" The computer mainframe shouted. I prayed to whatever god that may or may not exist that the emergency activation system works. Then from under me I felt the gears shifting and turning which was a good sign. Fear struck me as I remembered how the emergency evacuation system works. "Evac in T-minus 10, 9, 8, 7..." As the numbers slowly ticked away ... 6,5.... I was having a panic attack just from thinking about it ...4,3.... Nothing could have prepared me for this moment ...2,1 ACTIVATE!!!
And then I was up even higher than I was before, flying on only the chair. I saw the clear orb going far enough away from me so that what was about to happen didn't hit me. Then the orb blew up. It was not a small explosion, it was FREAKING HUGE! It looked like a small nuclear bomb went off minus the whole radiation thing. Luckily right then my parachute deployed and I drifted down to Earth. When I hit the ground I stood up and looked around. There was nothing nearby but I was pretty sure I had seen a house about a mile to the south, closer to town. I then began the 20 minute walk towards town. Skipping over the uneventful and tedious walk to the house, I arrived at my destination and knocked on the door. Several minutes later, the door swung open and slammed me in the face.
I woke up on couch with a worried looking couple standing over me. "Where am I? What happened?" I asked. "Well, you are about 3 kilometers outside of Manchester. As for what happened, we accidentally slammed a the door into your face after you knocked," the man said. Of course being the kind of person I am I began wondering how many miles 3 kilometers were. "Anyways, I had wanted to know if I could use your phone? I'm stranded and have no way to get back to London," I asked.
"Of course dear," the kindly woman replied.
I walked over to the phone and began typing the longer than normal phone number. The phone began ringing on the other line and an American picked up and said, "Hello?"
"Howdy sir, test complete. Status: Failed. Passage: London to about 2.9 miles north of Manchester. Emergency evac system successful. Request for beam up onto Sky Fort. Will be in front of house there. Thanks."
"Ok. See you soon."
I thanked the couple for helping me recover from the untimely blow to my head. Then I walked out of the house so I was a fair distance away. Suddenly, there was a megaphone announcement saying, "Agent, please stand perfectly straight. Beaming you up in 5,4,3,2,1!"

In a burst of light I arrived at the entrance to the Sky Fort. I hit the button next to the door. The outside then lit up green and began to slowly slide open. I walked into the city like ship and gazed upon the small town that existed on this floor. Shops and houses lined the streets and there were passages to the other parts of the ship in all directions. I walked down Ambassador Lane to the door that leads to the bridge. I took the elevator up and as soon as the doors opened I saw my boss. I took a step in and he said, "Welcome back agent Barrow. We're sorry that there was an issue with the pod. Currently we are on our way to Washington D.C. The is a mission of utmost importance that you must complete. Our arrival time is 10 o'clock EST. Please be back here by 9:30 AM EST." I saluted and then retreated to my house on the ship. I set my alarm to EST and then set it to go off at 8:30. I then got into my bed and fell asleep.

*Beep, beep, beep* My eyes opened and I sat up, feeling like my sleep lasted only a few minutes. I strolled over to my bathroom and took a ten minute shower. After drying myself off I got into a pair of jeans and a black shirt. I walked back down Ambassador Lane to the lift up to the bridge. "Hello sir," I shouted as I crossed the threshold. "Hello agent. We have arrived at the Pentagon. I don't know much about your mission, only that it is very important and you will be in a duo. Head down to the exit and go to office 3D. If you get lost someone will direct."
"Thank you sir"
I saluted and then took the lift down to the ship's exit. As I hit the button, the door opened and light filled the corridor.

I walked through the door into the open area of grass in the center of American military operations, the Pentagon. I walked over to level “D” which is the fourth floor and looked at the nearest office sign: 100D. I then started walking through the Pentagon, watching the signs as I passed them. 90D, 80D, 70D, 60D etcetera. I then saw it, the light at the end of the tunnel, 3D! After doing a little victory dance, I knocked on the door. A voice on the other side said, “Come in.” I opened the door and walked in. There was a man who, in my opinion, was wearing a very tacky outfit. He was wearing a nice button up shirt which was tucked into a pair of jeans. On top of that he was wearing a tweed jacket. It was an unusual outfit to be sure. “Hello agent Barrow. Welcome to the Pentagon. You can call me Commander Price. I’m in charge of special field operations here. We brought you over here to discuss your newest mission. Recently we have been conducting experiments in symbionics to correct things like scoliosis, out footedness- things to help people. They were a massive success! Then the scientists began using it to increase strength and I.Q. It was a very complicated process that ended well. However, one of the subjects defected to a complete psychopath named Natalia Hunt. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find and capture Natalia Hunt and Katrina Vasquez.”
“I will accept sir.”
“Very good. Proceed to room 100A for the rest of the information.”
I walked out of the room and began the long trek back to the 100 staircase. I arrived and walked down the staircase. Right off the staircase, the first room said 100A.

I opened the the door and there was Commander Price. “How did you get here before me?” I asked in a pissed off tone. “I used the elevator 3 doors down from the other office,” he replied. At that point, I did the most obvious thing possible at the time, I facepalmed. I brought my hands down and I realized where I was. I was standing in the control room of all military operations in the USA. 100A was the Pentagon control room. Then Commander Price shouted, “Is Alexandrea here? No? Where could she be? I radioed her 7 minutes ago.” Then the door swung open behind me and in walked a girl dressed very similarly to myself. She was wearing a black t-shirt and skinny jeans. She was also chewing gum in a very obvious manner which I found quite disrespectful given the circumstance. “So this is the new guy?” she said in an arrogant tone “Doesn’t look that bad.” Commander Price rolled his eyes to that. I put my hand out to shake her hand. “Agent Ian Barrow,” I said as I extended my hand out. “Rule number one, unless it’s a life or death situation, touching is not allowed. I’m Alex Leavitt.”
“Fair enough. Nice to meet you.”
Commander Price held out his hand which contained the file for the case. “Here is all the information you will need. There will be a shuttle to take you to Florida. That is where Natalia was last spotted.”
“Thank you sir,” I replied. I saluted and then walked out of the door with Alex close behind.

In the center of the grass area there was a ship waiting for us to take off. We got in, I read the file and said to Alex, “According to this file they are expected to be in South Florida somewhere. We’re going to be dropped off at a military base in the Everglades. If I had to guess, they would be relatively near where they were last spotted which is a Ft. Lauderdale suburb. Hey, are you listening?”
“Probably not. I’m playing Temple Run.”
I rolled my eyes to that.
Time lapse: 45 minutes

We landed in the Floridian base. Outside there was a car waiting for us. “Get in the passenger seat,” Alex said.
“But I want to drive,” I whined.
“Except I’m older.”
“Fine. You’re such a prat,” I muttered.
“What the hell is a prat?”
“Sorry, I’ve been spending too much time in England lately.”
“Whatever.”
Time lapse: 30 minutes

We arrive in the small suburb about 30 minutes later. “Can you explain to me why the hell we’re here?” Alex said as we pulled into a parking lot and got out of the car.
“If you had bothered to read the file, you would know that they were last seen in this general area. We’re walking the rest of the way to avoid detection.”
“Uggh. Walking.”
“Lets go you lazy bum.”
It was a short walk to the park where they were last spotted. Across the way from us I saw them. One of them, Natalia, was dressed in jeans and a white polo shirt, which blended well with her pale freckled skin. As far as I could see she was unarmed, but my training told me never to engage an enemy whose strength is unknown. To her left was Katrina. She looked like a normal person, but I knew otherwise. Civilians would not know that she had an I.Q. of over 300 points and strength 30 times that of a regular person. They were sitting on a bench and it seemed like they were talking about something quite intently. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a basketball. I turned to Alex and said, “Lets play some basketball.”
“WHAT! We need to capture them. We don’t have time for this,” was her reply.
“For all we know they might already have something in effect. We need to trail them back to their base and capture them there.”
“Fine.”
We were playing basketball for about 10 minutes before they got up and started walking away. As they retreated over a hill, we began following them. After walking for about five minutes, we arrived, they walked into a gray building I assumed was their base. “So genius, how the hell do you suggest getting in?” Alex questioned.
“I have an idea. It’s crazy but it might just work.”

*Knock knock* was the sound made as I knocked the gray wooden door. There was some shuffling inside and then the door slowly creaked open. “Hello. Who are you?” It was Natalia.
“Hello. I’m Aaron Chesterfield and this is Rachel Steinfeld. We are here representing the Land Ownership Association. We received some complaints from your neighbors about some disturbances. We just need to do a quick investigation and then we’ll be on our way.”
“Come in.”
We walked in and looked around the building. Everything seemed normal until we went into the office. I would guess Katrina didn’t realize we were there because she had said, “Natalia, in the coding for the backup plan I only need two more zeros and then we will be able to deactivate and destroy all electronic devices in America!” I looked over to Alex, held up my index finger to warn her not to talk and we slowly backed out of the room. Only to bump into Natalia. “Natalia Hunt, you are under arrest for treason and attempted terrorism,” I shouted. Bad idea. From the study, Katrina came running out and body slams into me. I flew into the wall and a pain filled my entire body. I manage to pull myself to my feet, blood was oozing out of the cuts on my body, and saw Alex and Katrina facing off against each other. Amazingly, Alex was able to avoid almost all of Katrina’s attacks and the ones that “hit” barely grazed her. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Natalia run into their office. I turned and started to move towards the office when she stepped into the doorway with a smirk on her face. “There is no use agents! In 2 minutes the satellite in the back will activate, transmitting a beam across the US, destroying that which makes them powerful! Technology! Finally their crimes against the world will be paid for and Katrina will have the revenge for the pain they caused her.” At this point, Natalia was so blinded by ambition, that she did not realize that Katrina was slowing down. To Alex I said, “You need to run. I don’t care where, just get out of here. Don’t question me.” She nodded and ran out the front door. As she did this I reached into my pocket and grabbed the one thing I managed to save from the pod crash this morning. I pulled it out of my pocket, dropped it on the floor and stepped on it.
One day later
Commander Price looked up from his papers when he heard a knock on his office door. “Come in,” he said. The door opened and in walked Alexandra Leavitt. “Hello Alexandra. Where is Agent Barrow?” he asked, the worry obvious in his voice. “Agent Barrow is MIA, presumed dead. It is believed he used a Model T-27 Pod bullet to wipe their base of the face of the Earth. We don’t think he escaped.”
“Thank you agent. Please go to room 100A for your new mission.”
“Yes sir.”
When she left, he let out a sigh. He sat down and began writing the notice of the death of Agent Ian Barrow.
Meanwhile in Florida

Agent Ian Barrow was enjoying a Mountain Dew Code Red poolside in South Florida. After using the pod bullet to kill Natalia and Katrina he managed to escape using the experimental teleport he had installed into his watch to test. He was drifting to sleep as his phone started ringing. He picked up his phone and saw the longer than normal phone number he knew so well. After hitting the answer button he greeted the person on the other line. After having a short conversation with the man on the other line he got up and walked to the parking lot. Five seconds later he was beamed up onto the Sky Fort. He walked in through the gate and went to his house. He crawled back into bed and fell asleep.

The idea for this story came to me very suddenly. In the end,it is really a story about rules and how at times, they should be broken.