The First Rule, Prologue

In the beginning, Nature ruled the world. All the plants and trees and creatures lived under the reign of the supreme. Nature ruled with an iron fist; the slightest hint of treacherous or treasonous behavior by its subjects led to their immediate demise. This raw power and spirit was ruthless yet kind, rough yet gentle, and unforgiving yet merciful. All was kept in line under Nature; obeying the laws of the land led to auspicious things. Everything was good and just and prosperous; things were kept in balance and all was well.
After some years, humans came into being. They were primitive and looked to Nature as a parent and Nature ‘mothered’ them and taught them its ways. Humans learned how to live resourcefully, grow food and provide shelter, and use only what was needed and nothing more. In return, Nature provided humans everything they needed to not only survive, but thrive; a harmonious balance had been struck.
Over time, humans advanced from the primitive beings they once were. They had all the tools and Nature’s guidance to provide for them everything they needed. A few humans appeared to exemplify this way of life to the fullest and Nature took notice. It eventually decided to deem five female humans worthy to rule.
The humans were all sisters and proved themselves to be the kindest, peaceful, and most judicious of all the humans in the land. The eldest was named Arella and she gathered her other four sisters together as soon as Nature called upon them to take this responsibility. The sisters, along with the other people in the land, built the first castle, an enormous creation of five buildings that appeared to teeter- totter on top of one another. Its construction, though, was structurally sound. Soon after, they had their coronation.
Arella, the eldest, was deemed the wisest of all the sisters and she became known as princess of the harvest. The second youngest, Jezebelle, became the ruler of the Moon. Orial, the middle child, became the ruler of the arts. Forest took on the title of ruler of the trees, and the youngest, Dialah, became the ruler of the inventions. The humans of the land became enamored by their rulers and picked certain princesses to follow. They pledged their loyalty and vowed to live by their rule. The princesses, pleased and touched by the gesture, allowed them to choose a princess to lead them. Thus, the first kingdoms were born.

theblondechick This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This was very original. I enjoyed how very storybook like it was. I really love your word choice, too. I look foward to more from this!

LaChouette This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thank you for the feedback!

Calliashi said...
I like the idea of this story you're portraying. The idea of personifying Nature and giving humanity a story of their own "history" is interesting...you can really go anywhere with it. Good writing and all I can say is remember to use imagery! :)

Thank You!