A Better Place | Teen Ink

A Better Place

October 6, 2013
By EbonyBones BRONZE, Amherst, Virginia
EbonyBones BRONZE, Amherst, Virginia
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Sometimes, we put up walls, not to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to knock them down....

Giving up doesn't mean we're weak, it just means we're strong enough to let go....


I sat alone in the darkness of my living room, smirking. Nobody ever noticed me, but that was okay. In fact, it was probably for the best. I had never left my house, and everyone thought that the house on the hill was abandoned. It was cliche for them to believe this place is haunted. The few daredevils had snuck into my home, only to confirm that it was haunted. This, of course, was poppycock. I didn't know why the other leaders hadn't done this. It was hard to assassinate the leader when you didn't know who he was. I, however, had taken this to a whole new level. Nobody even knew that I existed at all. I sat in front of my window, peering out at the chaos. I had destroyed the economy the the minute I had taken over. They were a sorry bunch, unable to function without their precious money.They had to truly work to eat now. I called those that were once rich the pitied. Unused to to actually working, the pitied had no idea what to do without money. They were often found sitting in alleys once used by the poor. The ones who used to be poor were the workers. They knew what they had to do to survive. After the fall of the economy, they were jubilant. Many took off to the country to work under farmers. Some used common knowledge to start farms of their own. Though the rich had never truly had pity on the poor, the workers were merciful to the pitied. Some workers took the pitied under their wings, and taught them every thing they knew about farming. Yes, the world could become a better place. It just takes time to develop. Maybe, just maybe, not all hope is lost to mankind.


The author's comments:
This is probably the best outcome I can see without money. I always have seen the economy as an obstacle. Please tell me how to make this better.