232-9979 | Teen Ink

232-9979

By Zesty_Taco GOLD, Towson, Maryland
Zesty_Taco GOLD, Towson, Maryland

"Ancora Imparo" "I am still learning." -Michelangelo

“232-9979,” was the flashing green answer the supercomputer gave. Lars typed his question in again, knowing his question would be floating anonymously among the other million or so questions being asked around the world. He knew the damned computer wouldn’t know it was he, back again for more futile answers from the all-knowing computer. Every day when he logged into the system, and asked a simple question, such as “Where am I located?” or “How many others are currently on the Double Y system?” the computer immediately answered with the dreaded termination code, “232-9979.” A blip appeared on a map, showing the exact location of Lars, complete with coordinates and address. Lars waited for the sharp prick of the drive, entering the USB port, but it never came. Every time, he waited and waited for them to burst through his thin, army surplus, wood door, and bowl him over. It never happened. He even accessed the system through his external drive, still the computer located him, and still nothing showed up. Lars began to doubt the government’s threats, and soon he moved back into his old abandoned habits. He hacked through the ever-changing Eden firewall, and stole precious data, but still in the back of his system, AISC haunted each of his processes. He knew it was watching each of his hacks, recording everything thing he calculated.
AISC (Automated Intelligence Security Center) was the toy the government had created, solely for the “protection” of its citizens. Lars soon recalled some old data, stating that the AISC was created in the period of human controlled intelligence, and has existed for 236.28 years, under completely automated commands. The human race, after a hundred years of plague, imported their thoughts and mind into a huge database. This database then distributed the data in to trillions of different computers across the globe, while the human bodies succumbed to the horrible disease that had plagued them for years and years. Lars was an old model dating back to 2011, over 350 years before the collapse of civilization.

Years passed while Lars remained untouched, until AISC exacted its revenge. Lars booted back up AISC’s system and went through his normal procedures, until two blips showed up on the map. One was steadily moving closer to the other, that one was blue, while the other one was red. After a minute of this screen, the whole system shut down, and Lars remained dumbfounded. He sent a process to the Internet, and brought up a search engine. He still remembered that the termination code had showed up before the map, so he searched it. “232-9979.” It turned out that the termination list had finally reached his IP address. He sent one final code to the AISC as he felt a drive being inserted into the USB port on his side, and he promptly shut down.

Written in 2012. I always meant to write a sequel. Oh well, more important things now. Bit of a fun look at a new world where people=technology. Not a well developed story, but I don't mind really. It's only about 500 words anyways. Enjoy!