Prologue UPDATED | Teen Ink

Prologue UPDATED

August 23, 2013
By whitneysl. BRONZE, Unknown, Iowa
whitneysl. BRONZE, Unknown, Iowa
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
He who does not think himself happy will never be so.


And it is nothing less than a darkness so eternal not even the most satonic of all demons dare to venture within Agroium’s** walls.
Creatures lurk abaft the walls of the Great City, eating dirt of fallen stars. Creatures no man could ever depict. Creatures, myths say, whose eyes are as cold as a corpse and furious as fire. To look into such eyes is certain death in the eternal afterlife of Agroium.
The ruler of such a city can be only a man who fears no one. Takeo, a warrior-whose chest bares no beating heart and holds no emotions. The soul of great numbness and insensibility caused by years of isolation. The very purpose of his ruling not to use such wretched creatures, but to contain them. Leash them to the city’s grounds.

For nearly one thousand years the Great City stood lonesome and apart from all other civilizations. And on the one thousandth and first day, the sky of Agroium began to weep. Tears of Takeo’s astute gods rained down into the dry dust of the Great City with the uneasy feeling caused by the knowing of change. And then there was a great change in the air of the weeping evening.
On the one thousandth and first day of the Agroium’s isolation the surface of the atmosphere was cracked, penetrated by hideous screeches.

**AGRO: From a Celtic word meaning "battle; slaughter.
***TAKEO (1-??, 2-??): Japanese name meaning 1) valiant male," or "violent/warrior male."


The author's comments:
I revised my last version of this prologue