Ejderha Chapter 1 Intro | Teen Ink

Ejderha Chapter 1 Intro

By TheCheeseburger BRONZE, Shoreline, Washington
TheCheeseburger BRONZE, Shoreline, Washington

The King of the Northwestern Kingdom sat at his banquet table with a goblet of wine in his hand. Across from him sat his beautiful queen and on his right his wise old counselor enjoyed a hearty piece of meat. Over the unlit grand fireplace hung the antlers, horns, and pelts of a dozen animals; the trophies of past hunts. Through the windows rays of light lit up the room on the hot summer day and the sounds of the market flowed in as people went bustling about their day buying and selling their wares.

The king looked up from his drink when he noticed the light in the room dim as if a large cloud had passed between them and the sun.

Suddenly a squire ran into the room and exclaimed, "My lord, The smithy is on fire!"

The three hastily left the table heading for the windows. Looking out they could see billowing smoke pour out from the smithy's windows and chimney, the streams joining into a dark cloud spreading over the city. Just as the king looked down, he caught a glimpse of a shadow in the shape of a giant man enter the burning building. The were soldiers and other men with buckets and a wagon full of water trying to put out the fire, but it seemed all they could do just to keep it from spreading to the adjacent buildings. After half of a minute the giant jumped out through a second story window with two little children in his arms. The king now saw that he was not a giant but a man encased in a suit of ice armor. The ice-covered man landed with a thud and ran toward a couple who the king recognised as the blacksmith and his wife. He set the children down before them and then ran back inside. The building creaked and moaned as the inferno continued to burn spitting sparks and flames out of the windows. Suddenly the man burst from the front door followed by an explosion. In his arms he carried a young woman whom he set beside the others.

He turned to face the fiery structure just in time to see it collapse in a heap of ash, flame, and smoke. Though the building was destroyed, the fire remained, threatening to spread throughout the city. They watched on as the man took a few steps toward where the building once stood. His armor melted, dripping off of him leaving a man cloaked in white where the ice giant once stood. He lifted an arm and from his outstretched hand flowed a stream of ice and snow particles, amassing a frost cloud. He then lifted his other arm and guided the cloud with invisible strings over the fire. He dropped his arms and the cloud descended upon the fire engulfing it and snuffing the flames out like a candle.

This is the beginning of the first book of a trilogy that I hope to at some point get to writing.