Deception | Teen Ink

Deception

By Bazzaro127 GOLD, Kentwood, Michigan
Bazzaro127 GOLD, Kentwood, Michigan

Improvise, Adapt, Overcome

The sun was high in its prime as it dangled from the ocean blue sky, illuminating smooth rays of light over the shoreline. With the palm trees swaying to the howling winds of the west, the leaves bustled and twirled as the cool air curled underneath their vile green surfaces. As the leaves rattled like a snake’s tail, their sentiments punctuated the calm, clear air. That glided across the beach and down over the frisky waters. A grand day it was with the sun beginning to descend over the mass sea of wavy waters. That sprayed puffs of white foam against the winds, diving over onto another oncoming wave. As the whisking sea masked the underworld below, the day grew bleak and cool. With a chilling coat that tangled around the beach sands and palm trees.

A young woman sat on the beach sands, staring out into the misty bloom of the ocean. As her tether brown bangs brushed against her icy cheeks of rosy red, peppered with freckles, she curled up into a warm ball. Holding her knees close to her chest as her bare feat dug underneath the cold sand, with her legs arousing a rupturing chill that coiled throughout her body. She began to feel cold as she wore her blue short shorts over her legs, along with a cherry red T-Shirt.

Watching the sun go down with her diamond blue eyes, with its radiating pink and purple glimmer, the bright light slowly sank deeper and deeper under the brisk waters. Shining a faint pinkish orange color through the frail gray clouds, she glared at the gliding clouds that sailed across the sky. Smiling as the night had fully synchronized, the sky had turned dark bluish black, and stars began to appear. She lay back over the cold sand and took a few quiet moments to gaze at them. In their small clumps of light that span far and wide across the night sky, her eyes squandered about. The Luna moon came from the ocean as the sun had veered away, now the night was of eternal beauty. Her favorite color had become her new environment. She chuckled as she remembered the time her and her family came out to this beach and played water monster. The best times of her childhood were here, but they would not be her last.

A voice came afar from the silence, over the wind and waves. “Simulation sequence zero-zero-eight finished, structural setting rebooting. Orbital stasis pod deactivating.”

She slowly turned her head as she felt the grains of sand rolling over her fingertips. Feeling a small tear slipping from her eyes, trickling down her cheeks, she watched the shoreline of the beach dematerialize. With the isometric coloring and textures squaring away into snow white tiles, the tiles fluttered away into the air like flapping birds. All around her, she had seen the beach vanishing before her. Still laying on her back she closed her eyes as she tried to preserve this one moment she could actually feel at home. The one time she could feel at peace with herself and safe from what she had feared.

Awaking from her stasis pod her vision blurred. As the top lid of the capsule was lifted, they took out the needle that was in her left and right arms. And she had awoken in the real world, where nothing was beautiful anymore. But the simulation stasis pods gave them at least something to remember about, since earth had been attacked.

I was inspired by just one simple idea, to make something mysterious. A story that would make the mind tremble in fear of the unknown and crave a hunger for the answer for why it happen.

Caesar123 DIAMOND, Union Grove, Wisconsin

"Madness in great ones must not unwatched go" --Claudius in William Shakespeare's Hamlet

Excellent! It really does leave you on a cliff and wanting more. Reminds me somewhat of D.J. MacHale's fourth book in his Pendragon series: The Reality Bug. Check that one out, and the whole series too. They're good books. Anyways, keep up the good work!