The Boy Who Wanted To Fly | Teen Ink

The Boy Who Wanted To Fly

By shaw74 BRONZE, Orlando, Florida
shaw74 BRONZE, Orlando, Florida

“Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up.”
― Dean Karnazes

I have a story to tell.
I have the ability to fly. When I was 8 years old, I figured out that I could fly (I am 15 now). At first I was afraid to tell my parents I could fly. I didn’t want them to send me away. If I were to tell them, they would think of me as some sort of crazy person. You’re probably wondering how I got the power to fly in the first place. It all started on a cold and starry night. In the middle of October, it was windy outside. I was just outside of my house, and I seen something in the sky. I thought it was a shooting star. Then, reality hit me, and It was just a plane.

It was just a stupid plane. What chance would I have to actually see a falling star? I knew it was not a star. Nevertheless, I still made a wish anyways. I wish, I wish on this stupid plane that I could fly just like a plane can. The next morning I woke up, and I was floating in my bed. I screamed! Thump! I fell back onto my bed. I thought it was a dream. I started getting dressed for my usual morning run. I walked outside and started running. A few minutes had passed…

It was not a dream. The next thing I knew I was floating higher and higher into the sky. I could touch the clouds. They felt wet and moist. I got soaked. They were not at all soft. They were just big wet puffy clouds. I tried to fly like a plane would with my body flat and my arms spread out. It worked. I started flying fast so fast I got cold because of all the water the clouds were releasing in my face. It was a thrill though. I was enjoying the flying so much I must have stayed up there for hours. I encountered a problem. How do I get down? I thought about how planes land. This thought helped me a lot. What I did was I started to slowly descend very slowly. I just thought in my head I want to feel the ground. I imagined my feet slowly planting themselves on the ground, and it happened. I was standing on the ground.

For seven years, I kept this a secret from my parents. As you already know, I told them. I explained to them on my birthday how I got this special power. At first, they didn’t believe me, so I took them outside, and I starting flying above them. They said Johnny that’s so cool! You have a gift. In all, it was a happy ending.

shaw74 BRONZE said...
shaw74 BRONZE, Orlando, Florida

― Dean Karnazes

Thank you!

shaw74 BRONZE said...
shaw74 BRONZE, Orlando, Florida

― Dean Karnazes

Thank you! what kind of saga were you thinking about?

on Jun. 26 2013 at 9:52 am
Its a really good story. It actually would make a good saga. Thats if your serious about it and its not just something you do with free time. Good job :)

on Jun. 25 2013 at 11:59 am
this was a good short story it actually was so interesting that i couldnt stop reading it even when my sister called my name but antways keep writing sean