The Bird Queen: A Short Story for the Mentally Departed | Teen Ink

The Bird Queen: A Short Story for the Mentally Departed

By starrfire777 SILVER, Ijamsville, Maryland
starrfire777 SILVER, Ijamsville, Maryland

She rode in her carriage from town to town much to her peoples delight. The honest queen rode proudly in her bright red carriage. But sadly when she was in her carriage going to and fro her guards and royal council men could never seemed able to reach her. So they devised a plan a very smart plan. They sent her messages with birds. Birds of every sort and taught them how to speak. Of course the council members took the prettiest birds and the guards mainly had crows. When the birds came to her carriage they would say all they needed to say and go on their way. The lovely Queen absolutely loved the birds.
The good Queen being as sweet as she was told the good people of the land all about the birds, against her council’s wishes. She was quite a bit naïve and thought that everyone in her kingdom would use the bird wisely. Unfortunately no one could have thought of the number of birds that would eventually come into her carriage. Soon her carriage would roll by and be unmistakable since it seemed as though all the birds in the Queendom were circling around it. The color soon turned from a beautiful red to a nasty whitish color. Most of her dresses were quickly ruined not to say anything about what the birds themselves were saying.
Most of the messages were nice, songs and sonnets and things of the like. Others were harsh criticism; still others simply pecked at her and went away. At first those birds were few and far between. Both the Queen and the wise council men thought that the birds were just making a mistake. No one would dare do that to the Queen. But slowly ever so slowly the number of pecking birds was rising. The more birds came the more she and her council men worried. Something had to be done about this the council men thought. Soon they devised a plan it was quite simple and most would say cruel.
They found all of the citizens that had sent the pecking birds. Then put them in the antechamber to the Queens private rooms. She wasn’t allowed to go out in her now hideous carriage. So the bird would have to stop in the room with the peckers (as they were now called) and they were force to hear or feel whatever the birds had to say. As the guards stood and watched and waited and after a bird pecked it would be struck down. The people were outraged at this. The men deserver to be published but the birds were only doing what they were taught.
The more the people heard of this cruel act the more people distrusted their once noble Queen. Many began to plot against her for who would want such a ruler as she. After all they had stopped seeing her at all anymore. They didn’t know what she was planning next. She might start throwing innocents into that hell hole. Who could ever trust such a traitor? And why didn’t the royal guards’ birds not have to be checked first? They came up with a quite simple quite cruel plan.
In the morning they found her and what a picture she made. Wire ran from the Queen’s wrists to the corner of the small study, she hung like a limp piñata. But it wasn’t paper hanging from her naked body. It was a million feathers stabbed just deep enough to stick into her skin. Like a dress of cruelty wrapped tightly around her body. The blood that coated each of the feathers was a testament to how she must been alive as she was stabbed over and over and over again.