End Of Days | Teen Ink

End Of Days

April 14, 2013
By Luis Briseno BRONZE, Huntington Park, California
Luis Briseno BRONZE, Huntington Park, California
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments

End of Days
My name is Logan Johnson and I’m a retired marine. I’m a survivor of the zombie apocalypse, and I have been living in my basement in Los Angeles, California for the past few months. Everything is chaos outside; I don’t think things are going to get any better. The end is very near, and there is absolutely nothing anyone could do. This didn’t just happen out of the blue, there is a story behind all of this. It all started like this.

A few years ago the United States was going bankrupt. The unemployment rate was around 65% or even higher. All of this brought great depression to the people living in the United States. That’s when chaos starting breaking out. Crime was at all-time high and riots were breaking out all over the place. The United States turned into a complete disaster. While the United States was going through a huge struggle, the rest of the world was doing perfectly fine. Their government was stable and their technology was advancing very fast. Nobody seems to help us out, they all completely turn their back on us and let us hit rock bottom.
Every single country around the world allied together and decided to exterminate the entire United States. They were taking advantage of the difficult times we were going through and decided to attack us while we were at our weakest. They could have just attacked us with nuclear bombs and get rid of the whole population of the United States in a matter of hours. Instead, to show how evil they were they came to an agreement of sending planes to fly over the entire Unites States, releasing viruses that would get us all infected and turn us all into zombies. They warned us and even gave us the specific day and time it would happen. Since the United States was at their weakest there was nothing that could be done but then pray and hope something went wrong.

The allied countries had everything ready to attack us. All the American people were very terrified and stayed inside their home well secure even though they knew the virus would be airborne, so no matter what there was no way out. Some people even try to fly out of the country but the airlines were completely shut down. The airplanes releasing the viruses were going to start from the east coast and make their way to the west coast.
It was 5 o’ clock in the evening and the countdown began. While the airplane made its way through the Atlantic Ocean, it started getting technical problems. When it was getting to New York City, New York, the airplane was already breaking down and crashed onto the Empire State Building. The news that the airplane carrying the viruses crashed onto the Empire State Building got the people from the west coast very happy and relieved. The collision was so hard that some of the viruses were released and infected some of the citizens of New York. The viruses spread very quickly and in a matter of hours New York and some other states close by were completely infected. The people started feeling the affect of the virus in a few minutes.

Zombies were roaming all over New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Vermont. The virus didn’t really spread a lot, most of it stayed in New York City were the airplane crashed. What really was spreading and causing terror was zombies. In a matter of weeks Zombies reached Missouri and Arkansas. The people tried their best to survive but it was just way to many zombies. Some people even got in groups of 10 to have a higher chance of surviving the zombie apocalypse. Since I was from the marines I had great surviving techniques, so I didn’t need a group it was just my family and I. I made a promise to myself in protecting my family from any harm. While the zombies were heading to California I was getting prepared to fight for my families lives. I got my basement ready with a month supply of food, weapons, and water. I got family ready in the basement and made sure it was well secure for a battle of survival.

The zombies took over California in a few weeks and were roaming all over Los Angeles. A month had passed and I ran out of food to feed my family. I kept thinking and thinking of ways to get food for my family and the only possible way was to get out the basement and make a run to the nearest grocery store and get necessary things. I decided to do that so I arranged a plan. It was a Tuesday like at 9:00 AM I got out my basement carefully without no zombies spotting me and headed to the grocery store. Luckily I found one with lots of fresh products inside. I got all the things that seemed useful and headed back to the basement. When I got there my son and wife were missing, I was so shocked seeing the wooden basement door completely opened with no one in there. I started to panic and just threw the fresh products to the floor and started to find my family all over the place. While trying to find my family I noticed 2 zombies, they had the exact characteristics of my innocent son and wife. I had realize it was them I broke my own promise in protecting my family from any harm. I was torn into pieces seeing my family like that, I was so sad and mad.

I only had two bullets in the only hand gun I had. I had a choice of killing my wife and son and taking them out their miserably or commit suicide and turn into one of them. I decided to kill them both and let them rest in peace. My life was so empty without my family with me. I made my way back to the basement. I locked myself in there and just sat there thinking and thinking. I was so depress and didn’t felt like doing anything. I haven’t ate like in weeks, I felt so tired and in the mood of doing absolutely nothing. I came to the point of giving up on myself. I felt like if I was in the o give end of my days.

It been three weeks and I haven’t ate nothing at all. It was a miracle I was still alive. I just sat there and all of a sudden I see a bright light coming from the basement door. I honestly thought it was zombies breaking in the basement to eat me. As it came closer to me is started to look more like a human being than a zombie. It seemed like she was trying to give me a hand. She gave me a lot of water and fed me a great dinner. I couldn’t see her face because there was a very bright light coming from the back. She just finished feeding me and she left. Later on I thought about it and I thought to myself what if it was my guardian angel trying to give me the energy to not give up on myself and move on.

Since that day I was so energized. I got out of my basement and went to look for food and actually made something good out of my life. I lived in my basement for years and within those years I didn’t find any others survivors so I assumed I was the only survivor left. One day I was in my basement relaxed and enjoying a snack and all of a sudden I hear footsteps approaching my basement. They brooked the lock in the door and went inside. At first I thought it was my guardian angel that came to visit me but the last thing I remember was a huge fist going right to my face knocking me out cold. When I woke up all of my belongings were missing. I was completely nude and all of my food and water was missing. I tried to get out the basement and it was locked from the outside, there was absolutely nothing I could do I was 100% sure I wasn’t getting out of this situation alive.

I waited for weeks and weeks for my guardian angel to come but she didn’t seem to come rescue me. I gave my last few deep breaths and fainted. A few years later the Soviet Union Army found Logan Johnson’s body and his diary in his basement. He was the only one that wasn’t infected by the virus, so the Allied countries decided to keep his corpse in an oxygen chamber so it wouldn’t rot and all the people from Europe and other countries would go and see the only survivors of the attack against the United States. Logan Johnson’s body is located in London, England. They have a museum of him were all the people go and learn about his life as a zombie apocalypse survivor and in the end of the tour they allow the people to go inside a large room were his corpse is located. Logan Johnson would always be remember as one of the greatest warrior of all time.


The author's comments:
I'm a huge fan of zombies. What inspired me to write this was the passion i have for zombies. I enjoy playing Resident Evil and watching The Walking Dead. They are very intense and interesting. This is my first Zombie article so its not going to be the best one but there is more to come. I hope you enjoy my zombie apocalypse survivor article.