Clairvoyant | Teen Ink

Clairvoyant

April 16, 2013
By Rowan_Kinley BRONZE, Danville, California
Rowan_Kinley BRONZE, Danville, California
4 articles 0 photos 4 comments

“We’re about to win! I can see it!” Kaede exclaimed. Her eyes took in the images of the Vision Focuser IV, the final and perfected version of goggles that allowed one to see into the future, and she watched as her soldiers neared the center of the rebel’s capital.

“Good, our soldiers will be glad to hear of it,” Aspen said, guiding the princess along the winding fortress passageways by the hand. Kaede nodded blindly, her vision of the surrounding present completely impaired by the screen on the goggles. Aspen turned at the sight of enemy troops at the end of the hallway and pulled the princess safely down another corridor. As they neared a staircase he paused and Kaede nearly ran into him.

“We’re about to descend a staircase, may I have your permission to carry you down milady?” Aspen asked.

“There’s no need for such formalities when we’ve known each other for years.”

“That doesn’t change the fact that you’re the next in line for the throne,” Aspen replied as he swept the princess off her feet.

“I can walk myself too, you know.”

“We can’t have you distracted with such a petty task though. You’re the only one who can use the Vision Focuser; you must stay focused on your duty.” Kaede huffed childishly in response. It was true though; even with a mind as unparalleled in brilliance as her’s it still required much effort to control the Vision Focuser IV. In extremely basic terms, the machine worked by feeding on the mind’s database and required the user to intensely concentrate on facts, interpretations, and calculations. Moreover, Kaede was transmitting the visions she was receiving to rally her troops on the battlefield via a headset they all wore in order to stay in communication.

“Your visions into the future, even if limited to an hour, is vital in our success in this war,” Aspen reminded the girl, “The rebel leader has developed the technology to snag thoughts of doubt, and it is by taking advantage of this that has allowed him to create his own army with our soldiers. He reaches into the minds of our less faithful soldiers and persuades them to join him; but the promise of a future only you can reach into is what holds the rest of our soldiers on our side.”

“I am the key to this kingdom’s freedom from war.”

“That is correct. You live for your people, who die for your sake.”

“Such a burden!” the young girl of fourteen said aloud.

“You’ve been raised your whole life for this though.”

“Say, after this war, will you marry me?” Kaede asked abruptly, “I’m sure I can convince my parents to drop the tradition of marrying a prince for me and allow me to marry my knight.” The older teen chuckled nervously in response.

“We’ll see,” Aspen said. As much as he loved her, he was thankful that she couldn’t see the sadness in his face. The truth was that both the king and queen had already been killed by the hands of the rebels, but the news of their deaths had been kept from Kaede so she could focus on seeing the future. Moreover, Aspen was badly wounded; he was rapidly losing blood with every step he took and prayed that the princess didn’t hear him struggling to breathe. He set her down as they neared the bottom of the stairs.

“How is the future looking, milady?”

“Our soldiers are so close to finding the rebel leader and executing him; they’ve already cleared the last chamber of guards!” Kaede reported excitedly, continuing to communicate with her soldiers. On the battlefield their spirits rose and their faith reassured.

“Excellent. We too are nearly at the tower, where you will be able to address your people at the top.”

“Remember when we were children and you always comforted me whenever I would see horrifying events from the imperfect Vision Focusers?” Kaede mused.

“Yes, I do remember that. You always came to cheer me on when I was still training as a knight too,” the boy responded fondly. With the hand he wasn’t using to guide the princess, Aspen clutched his wounded side. His whole body was bent over in pain as he dragged himself onward. He took Kaede down another detour when he saw enemy movement ahead.

“We should go to that small cafe in town again too after this war is over, if it’s still there. The kind old couple there served the best sweets in the whole kingdom!”

“That sounds perfect, milady. I can’t wait.”

“Wow, our soldiers are so close! They’re breaking down the barrier to the mage’s room! This war will definitely be ours!”

“Yes,” was all Aspen could manage to say, each step causing him to lose more and more blood. As they made their way down the final hallway Aspen looked behind him and he grimaced in horror at what he saw.

“Aspen, they’re in! They’re in! And they’re all running straight for him! This is it! This is the end! The rebel leader is about to be defeated!” Kaede cheered, eyes still closed and oblivious to the coming threat.

“I’m so glad milady,” Aspen breathed out in relief, as the vision was sent directly into his mind along with the rest of the soldiers through their headsets. His faith in their fight had never burned so strong. He tried desperately to reach for his sword but found his body lacked the strength to even pull it from the sheath. Aspen silently cursed himself for feeling so helpless. They stopped and Aspen leaned against the wall, unable to walk any further.

“We’re here at the door to the tower now. Go on through and up the stairs; I will meet you shortly at the top,” Aspen said, struggling to keep his voice even.

“Okay. Hurry quickly!”

“You will make a wonderful queen, Kaede,” Aspen said as he kissed her hand just before letting go with great effort. He could hear enemy troops were rapidly closing the distance and didn’t need to be looking at them to know that they were fully armed and ready to kill. Aspen groaned aloud as blood poured all down his side, staining his clothes and reflecting gruesomely off his armor.

He took one last glance up at his beautiful princess disappearing safely up the stairs before channeling the last of his energy into pulling out an explosive. As the enemy troops came upon, Aspen bravely lit the fuse. The deafening explosion collapsed the roof of the wing, crushing everyone below.

The ground shook below, but Kaede was too eager in making her way up the stairs, hand trailing along the railing. In her mind and through the Vision Focuser IV she reached for each second more into the future that she could see. When she reached the last step she saw the final blow be delivered to the rebel leader, and a future where the rebels were defeated was sealed. She yanked off the Vision Focuser IV triumphantly and gave a wild cheer. On the battlefield below her soldiers charged forward with renewed energy in response to her cry. They fought harder, powered with the knowledge that in an hour everything would be over and they would succeed just as their princess had foreseen it.

“Aspen, we’ve won! The struggle and fights and deaths and years of torment will finally be over!” Kaede yelled and turned around expectantly. She froze when she didn’t see her knight coming up the stairs.

“Aspen?” She began to panic when she didn’t hear him respond as he so dutifully did usually. She stood unmoving, waiting for him.

But suddenly the truth was somehow already beginning to dawn on her. Now that her focus was finally away from the future, the present reality was crashing back down around her. All this time she’d been so busy concerning herself with the future that she hadn’t been able to live in the present. All this time she’d been so enwrapped with the interest of her people that she couldn’t live for herself. Tears began rolling down Kaede’s face and the Vision Focuser IV in her hand fell to the ground. Her parents wouldn’t be there when she took the throne as queen, and Aspen wouldn’t be there to take the seat beside her as King.

But below the soldiers carried on valiantly, fighting for a future Kaede had already lived through in her mind, at the price of missing the present.