Eternity | Teen Ink

Eternity

By Gwenndy SILVER, Minster, Ohio
Gwenndy SILVER, Minster, Ohio

Cats are Magic. The more you pet them, the longer you both shall live.

Gabriel

Fog crept across the open field, hiding the bodies that lay just under the surface. This is what happened when the humans left the planet, leaving two enemy races behind, Angels and Demons. Eternal enemies trapped in a never ending battle. After millions of years, one begins to wonder if peace will ever come to the immortal beings.

No…probably not.

Gabriel stepped out onto the field, looking among the trees to keep an eye out for the Demonic people. They always seemed to be planning an ambush on his race; the Angelic people. A sickened and sorrowful look comes to rest on his face as he stands there over the body of his life-long friend.

“Rafael…” He speaks softly, unashamed when a single tear falls down his face, only to be engulfed by the fog as it goes.

A look over anger then carves its way onto Gabriel’s face as he continues walking. He was searching to see if any of his kind were left alive or forgotten about once they fell to the ground. The Angel so dearly hoped so. The idea of loosing so many on just the first day of what would be a long siege was an agonizing thought. His eyes rested on each body within his sight, Demon or Angel, wanting to see a rise and fall of a chest; a body that was still breathing. He no longer cared if the body belonged to friend or foe.

“Help,” A tired and pain-laced voice calls out. Without hesitation, Gabe goes hurriedly towards the voice, stopping just a few short feet away.

Sickened, he takes the last few steps until he was standing over the body. Of course, it would be his luck to find a Demon left alive among all of his fallen comrades and to even further his ever-so-amazing luck, the immortal just so happened to be a woman. He sighs slightly, shaking his head back and forth. Women have no right to be on such a gruesome battle field this early in the war. The thoughts run through his head as he looks down at the damaged body.

Shink! The Angel pulls his sword from its sheath, a comforting sound emanating around the clearing, and presses it against the girl’s neck. She was no longer conscience and that alone was probably the best thing for the situation. He pulls his arm back to make the final blow and stops half-way through his smooth arch. He couldn’t do it. He curses lightly under his breath as he returns his weapon to its cover. He then bends over and picks up the member of the enemy’s front line.

“What am I doing?” Gabriel wonders out loud to himself, spreading his long black wings and heading back to where he’d set up his camp; away from the others.

Dust, leaves, and other small debris flutter off the ground as the Angel comes to a stop in the middle of a small clearing. Thoughts were bouncing around in his head, though one kept dragging its way towards the front of his mind. What was he to do when the Demon woke up? He tries to brush the thoughts away and center his mind as he slipped into his tent to lay the injured being on his small cot. With one last glance over his shoulder, the immortal goes back outside. There were a few things he would need in order to help and heal his enemy.

*
*
*

Devy

Pain. It was everywhere. Dancing its way through the Demon’s body. She was unconscious, but yet she could feel every pulse and tremor of agony in her body. Help. The last word she’d uttered before surrendering to the dark that was ebbing at the edges of her mind. Sooner than what Devy believed possible, she was in someone’s arms, floating away. Faster than what it should have been, she was on something soft; a bed maybe. Slowly, her unconscious mind was piecing the facts together. She was not in a Demon camp.

*
*
*

Gabriel

The never aging man returns to the tent, his hands, arms, and mouth full of things he would need in his attempt to save the girl. He balances himself carefully down to his knees, not wanting to spill that water in the basin he was carrying, nor did he want to drop and dirty the bandages. Laying his things a nearby table, that had been covered with a clean sheet early in the morning, he begins to cut and peel off the Demon’s clothing, doing his best to keep her chest covered.

Dipping a cloth into the cool water, Gabriel starts to clean the dried and fresh blood from the bigger wounds. It would do the healing process no good if there was a chance for infection. Moving from one injury to the next, the Angelic figure did what he could. Even if it just happened to be cleaning, wrapping and bandaging. It was, in fact, better than doing nothing at all.

He wipes the drops of sweat from his head and neck onto the sleeve of his jacket. Covering the girl up, he moves towards the front of the tent, casting one last glance over his shoulder at her sleeping form. The faint sound of his stomach growling was telling him to make a bit of something to eat. Something for himself and for the Demon, if she ever woke up.
*
*
*

Devy

A faint groan comes from the figure on the bed. She stirs lightly, flinching back from the pain that came with movement. Devy’s head moves to look around the tent she was in. At least that doesn’t hurt. Her thoughts had a light tinge of humor in them, despite the position she was in. She tries to push herself into a sitting position; the blanket that was covering her body falls to her lap just as a man with wings walked in. Right away, he turned around, but not before the Demon spotted the color on his face.

“I see you’re awake.” The Angel mutters, keeping his back towards the Demon.

“Yes.” The reply comes with a hint of embarrassment, followed by a rustling sound. “You can turn back around.” Devy says softly, adjusting the cover under her arms.
*
*
*

Gabriel

Once it was safe to turn around, Gabriel does just that, clearing his throat as his embarrassment faded away. He walks over to a small table that he had used earlier and sets one of the bowls of food down on it. He then steps back, taking a bite of his own. He keeps his eyes off the Demon.

“It’s not poisoned.” He mutters taking another mouthful and chewing slowly, lost in a bit of thought.

“Who are you?” The Demon on the bed looks around warily, not really trusting much of anything.

Gabriel lifts his head to the question, thinking about it for what seemed like eternity before coming down with just a few options. One, he could tell his enemy what his name was. Two, he could just not answer and piss her off. Or three, he could give a fake name. He empties his mouth before meeting her fiery gaze.

“I’m Gabriel, commander of a unit on its way here. “ He speaks plainly, not really caring about the pointless information he was giving, because it wasn’t all true. Yes, he was a commander, but his troops were already stationed nearby, working their way quietly towards the Demon’s camp.

Devy listens in somewhat silence. The only sound coming from her while the Angel, Gabriel, was speaking was the sound of her hissing in pain as she reached for the bowl of food. She was probably going to be killed anyway, so why not take advantage of what was being given to her for the time being? She takes in a deep breath, mouth watering at the smell of the stew. A faint smile crosses her face as she takes a bite. It tasted like what her mother used to make her on cold days when she was younger. She reminisces in those memories before finally being snapped back to reality.

“Umm.” She says, slightly embarrassed again. “Why did you save me?” The girl then questions, looking away from the Angel that was looking at her intently. Only then did she notice something different about him. His wings are black….I wonder what he did to fall? She wonders silently to herself, tearing her gaze away at last.

“You called out for help.” Gabe replies, a sort of coldness in his voice. “My best friend died out there. I figured you might have someone that cared about you as well.” He shrugs his shoulders, a black feather dropping onto the ground. “What does it matter to you anyway?” The Angel couldn’t help but notice where the Demon’s gaze had gone. He sighs and shakes his head lightly, deciding not to say anything unless she had the guts to ask.

The enemy immortal nods her head, her gaze darting back and forth between the tent door, her food, and the man before her. It’s no use trying to escape. Not when I’m in this condition. The thoughts run through her head as she takes another bite from the meal that was given to her. It was almost gone now, but she didn’t feel quite as hungry as she had when she first woke up.

“What does it matter? You saved me…an enemy.” She looks at Gabriel’s face, eyes narrowed and a slightly look of confusion about her face. “I’m trying to figure out why you did it. There has to be more to it than ‘I might have been someone’s best friend or loved one.’” She smirks at the thought. Devy had always been alone. Happily. “Maybe it’s because you’re fallen? Because you do-“She was cut off by a look from the Angel.

“I have not fallen. I was born with black wings and I’m sick and tired of everyone around me making the assumption that I did something wrong to get myself kicked out of Heaven.” Gabe was on a roll now, nothing less than an atom bomb being dropped right on them was going to stop him from venting his buried anger. “I did my job well and when the time came, I left. I was of no more use to Him up there, so why stick around? Since I left I have made my use down here in the real world. Taking care of who I can and fighting in battles, working my way up in the command chain.” He stops to breathe and finds that he has nothing else to add. Disgusted in himself, the immortal being turns away, “But none of that matters.” Gabriel storms out of the tent, not wanting to hear anything the Demon had to say.
*
*
*
Devy

Devy sits there and listens, mouth hanging slightly open as the Angel named Gabriel throws something like a tantrum before leaving her alone in the tent. Wow. The single thought runs through her head as she remembers to close her mouth. She shakes her head lightly, setting the empty food dish on the table where she had gotten it from, not reacting to the pain that still laced through her body with every subtle movement. She sighs and lies on her back, looking up at the top of the tent. The Demon really didn’t know what she could or should do at this point. Obviously her enemy had no interest in killing or torturing her yet so she didn’t have to think of lies to answer with. Might as well rest I suppose. Not like I can do anything else. The girl closes her eyes, soon drifting off into a deep sleep that wasn’t quite as restful as before. Nightmares haunted her this time. Endless amounts of nightmares.

Run. Run. Run. Don’t look back. Don’t look back. I don’t want to see what is chasing me. It’s going to be worse than what it was before. In the conscious world, Devy was tossing and turning on her bed, the pillow she was using on the ground and part of the blanket as well. No! Get away from me! She screams, thrashing about, trying to escape what had a tight hold on her ankles. The dream Devy tries to calm herself to use one of her powers, closing her eyes to concentrate but nothing happened. Dammit! She screams the word at the top of her lungs, both in her dream and in the real world. “Devy,” The thing that had hold of her spoke at last, speaking her name in a voice that she was coming to recognize. “Devy,” Her name is repeated again along with shaking and something about waking up.

The Demonic figure jolts forward with a gasp, flinging her arms about and hitting Gabriel, who had returned to the screaming, to see what was going on. The girl on the bed tucks the sheet around her again, breathing hard and trying not to cry out in pain again. Jumping awake after being close to death could hurt. She groans and tries to get used to the uncomfortable feeling. Only then does she turn her head to see the Angel holding the side of his face, scowling down at her. A faint blush crosses her face, but she doesn’t speak or try to hide. She tries to make herself look dignified and not at all how she felt. She clears her throat, looking away from the other.

“What do you want?” She questions harshly. “Come to yell at me again for making a mistake in my words? Maybe you’re finally going to torture me for information.” Devy sort of laughs, but it had no heart in it. “Maybe you’re going to just kill me.” She pauses for a moment, “Wouldn’t that be great.” She mutters softly before falling silent.

Gabriel, on the other hand, just listens and tries not to laugh. “You screamed pretty loudly. I came to see what had happened.” He stops to think about what else the Demon had said. “I don’t plan on killing you. I thought I got that across to you earlier.” A sigh escapes him. “Torture is pointless. After all, I did try to patch up your wounds.” He falls silent for a few moments, the things he had said earlier running through his head. “My apologies,” He finally says, though it didn’t sound completely sincere. “My actions were uncalled for and inappropriate. One just grows tired of hearing the assumptions in people’s voices.” He stops talking then, having nothing else to say for the time being.

Devy doesn’t say anything right away, deciding not to made snood remarks to someone who in fact had saved her life. “You have a point.” She finally says, lying back down on the bed slowly, not wanting to cause herself any unnecessary pain. Her eyes return to the ceiling as she sort of zones out. She hears Gabriel leave and sighs in relief. It’s best that he leaves. He’s just going to be killed anyway. Be it for betrayal or by my own people. The Demon closes her eyes, not sleeping, but yet, not conscious either.
*
*
*

Dolphy said...
on Apr. 12 2013 at 3:58 pm
I'm a huge fan of angelic / demon fiction.
My favourite creatures are really the fallen angels, though I believe they can still decide about which side they take, I mean as good or evil.
Surely loved your story. Congrats!