not finished | Teen Ink

not finished

March 21, 2013
By Anonymous

Everyone has a purpose in life; mine is to save, hunt, and kill. For as long as I can remember I have seen the creatures that steal and stole our lives. When I read my history book it talks about it, when it all changed or started. August 4th 1973 scientist Dr. Mitel was looked at as one of the smartest and most successful, until he got sick and died. His patients that survived from the last three years before his death also got sick and had the same symptoms he had before he died. Symptoms included head ache, hallucinations, internal bleeding, and constant hunger. After his patients got sick they died and more people got sick and more and more.
No one knows what got them sick or how it spread. At first, other scientist thought it was direct contact; then they thought air born. Before they could find out more about this sickness they died. The government and president called it a plague and stopped all flights and people leaving the country.

Canada and Mexico shut their boarders to help “contain” this plague, letting ¼ of the U.S. die from this horrible disease. The rest who survived including the remaining scientists say that those who survived were immune to this virus. Eventually everyone who was sick died and those who were immune stayed. It only took eleven years, and the virus finally gone. Then two years of hope and happiness. I heard there were parties and parades to be grateful for those who survived. After those years people felt like there would be less death and more peace. Boy, were they wrong.
Bodies started to go missing. Actuary’s reported bodies from cemeteries dug up and stolen. Cops and detectives thought it was some crazy robber stealing the dead people. Sooner or later they discovered the only bodies from cemeteries missing were the ones that died from the sickness. Then people started to go missing and were found brutally murdered at night. In 1986 the first picture ever, of the connection to the missing bodies and the murders was captured. It even shows it in here in the History book. The picture shows the body of a man lying on the ground and a zombie hovering over him. Its eyes looked right the camera and all white from the flash, just staring, with blood dripping down its mouth.
The discovery of the Mitel disease started an instant cry for public safety. The government put all the United States money into safety and protection. But not for the citizens, instead the U.S. sent money and protection to basically whoever was the highest bidder and those were mostly high rich companies the ones that could pay the government to let them continue to work and make money. With major companies having more security and walls around them, it left us to fend for ourselves. The citizens stayed indoors at night putting barriers on the windows and doors keeping the zombies out and them alive.
Once that whole scare was over people thought since that the zombies only come out when there’s no sun, at all, why not continue our normal lives in the day when it’s safe. They (the government) made a system. People were allowed outdoors at day light go to work and school no excuses. At night take your own risk. We are not responsible for anyone’s death. That helped people try to continue life instead of fear. Eventually they made safer cars, better transportation, and more jobs.
Today is January 1st 2013. I’m Karna, 17, brown hair, blue eyes, and I live in Abraham Lincoln’s state with my mom, dad, and two brothers, Stan and Sam. I am the youngest but everyone in my house looks up to me. I mean who wouldn’t like someone who kills all these monsters and saves lives. I’ve been killing zombies since I turned 14. At first I only had a knife. A knife made to kill animals but used for killing the dead. All I had to do to kill these zombies was stab them in the head. You probably think it’s pretty easy, right? Well you’re wrong. One day I was in a dark abandoned house looking to kill some. Next thing you know I got three zombies running right at me from three different directions. Since I couldn’t stab them all at once I ran out of there and went home.
After that was the first time I told my mom I hunted zombies. She was scared and worried she couldn’t believe what was doing, and even at first she didn’t believe me. So one night I told her to look out of her bedroom window tall enough that no zombies could break through. I stepped outside and looked up at her she already looked scared seeing me outside when it’s dark. Then I heard a scream look forward and a zombie is already running at me I pull out my knife look at it not worrying just waiting. Once it was close I got it, right in its forehead. I pulled my knife out and it falls, looking up at my mom to make sure she doesn’t faint, and she hasn’t.
Eventually I convinced her I needed more something stronger to kill these monsters. She agreed and realized I was safe as long as I had a weapon that kept me safe. So for my 15th birthday she got my Andy, a beautiful 1990 magnum revolver. He has wood grip and holds six bullets. Why do I have no fear to own and hold a gun when it is illegal for me to do so? Because all police officers and cops are being used for the companies that pay them to protect their buildings at night, than at day the guards sleep. Since then Andy has been my partner in crime. As I do online school and chores at day, I go around my neighborhood hunting and killing zombies.

What really makes my day good is making a little money from chores and going to Johnny’s store. I always carry Andy with me even at day, and Johnny has everything. He has candy bars to rifles. You can tell his store has almost everything; he loves taxidermy so outside are a ton of animals, and on his front door window has a poster of a zombie getting shot. Usually when I go to his store he tries to show me what new guns he has and how much they cost. I always act like I would buy it but I never do. I usually just get a pack of cigs and bullets for Andy so at night I’m always stacked up and prepared.
Tonight’s a little chilly but I’m not going to let it stop me. With jeans and a tee it’s all I need for warmth. With Andy at my side I decide to take a walk until something comes at me. Down my street is dark I don’t know if it’s to hide the monsters so children can’t see them or just chosen not to have lights. Either way the stars light enough for me to see my way around. As I look at their pretty sparkle it’s kind of… peaceful.
“AHHHH!” one of those creatures starts screaming as its running at me. I pull Andy out in a second and shoot three bullets at it. It falls. I pull it to the side of the street so before people wake up the garbage truck can take it away. They always take away the dead zombies. There are so many dead zombies randomly that the garbage men just take them away so there aren’t piles of them to scare children. Once that’s done I get a breeze that sends goose bumps all up my arms. As I look forward I see it’s not only the wind that gave me that feeling. A house that I remember a family with a two year old son lives in has its front door wide open. All I can think about is that’s not good. I go inside. At first it dark but slowly my eyes adjust to it. Oh god, a bloody arm laying on the floor by the size it looks like the two year old. I feel my stomach hurt, but I pull it together and keep looking around. There are defiantly zombies in here; they’re either hiding or I just haven’t found them yet. I go through the kitchen and find pieces of the mother and father that the creatures didn’t devour scattered throughout the floor. In the corner I see one still finishing off what looks like a leg. Crouched over it hasn’t noticed me just chewing, disgusting. I point and shoot right in the back of the head and it falls. But that’s not what worries me; the sound of the shot puts me on edge and has given away my location. Already two come at me from both entryways of the kitchen. I jump on the table for height and shoot them, but more and more come pouring in. I continue to shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, and reload. By now I’ve lost count how many are dead. After reloading my fourth time I realized they’ve stopped, finally. I get down off the table stepping over them, and I feel that chill again I felt outside. My eye draw behind me and I see I missed one. But it’s not screaming and running at me it’s just staring right at me.

It looks like zombie but it also doesn’t. I feel Andy still in my hand at my side, maybe this pause is a chance for me to shoot. Without a second hesitation I take this chance and shoot. He moves his head to the side and the bullet hits the wall behind him. He dodged it! He can’t be a human, but he can’t be a zombie either. Nothing can dodge a bullet. He starts walking towards me I shoot at him and he dodges it again and starts running. I need to leave.