Darkness

Darkness

Darkness. It was everywhere. It enveloped me in a strangulating blanket of what felt like ice. ‘Breathe’, my mind screamed. ‘BREATHE!’ But I could not. Darkness—ominous; sinister was leisurely, painstakingly siphoning me…my life-force diminishing. I could hear wings, pulsating wings. Aroma of what smelled like rotten eggs wafted around me. An icy presence embraced me; goose flesh coalescing my pale, pale skin as if it was coagulated blood. My heartbeat quickened with every breath as I suddenly realized in what sort of place I was lolling in a place of death and pain. The darkness was almost painful as I felt it pressing against my body almost as a living creature, forcing itself to press along every contour of my body and enthused with my every move. It hurt to breathe my lungs felt as if they were writhing. I knew I was inches from Death’s door, but I didn't want to die. I couldn't die…I am too young. I haven’t done enough, experienced enough. I tried to reach out to grasp anything that I could to try and escape the darkness, but my limbs would not move it was as if I had restrains strapped down to my entire being.

Suddenly, I felt a sharp pain penetrate me it felt as if it was fire being shot into my veins as it seared through me. I tried to scream, but only a strangled gasp escaped my lips. Pain. Excruciating pain. ‘Why me?’ I thought ‘Why have I been chosen to be tortured? What did I ever do to deserve this?’ It was no use pondering why this was happening there was no one and nothing that could save me. I am, but a muted fly dangling on a web awaiting its own death by the hands of a spider. As the icy darkness singed through me I suddenly felt numb and a grim smile crossed my features. I realized it would be over soon and death would come, my pain no more.

I could feel my eyelids drooping as the last bit of my life drained from my body. I willingly slipped into the embrace of sleep as a brilliant white light enveloped me as I was welcomed into the arms of what appeared to be an angel. I died with a smile upon my lips.

Darkness. It was everywhere. It enveloped me in a strangulating blanket of what felt like ice. ‘Breathe’, my mind screamed. ‘BREATHE!’ But I could not. Darkness—ominous; sinister was leisurely, painstakingly siphoning me…my life-force diminishing. I could hear wings, pulsating wings. Aroma of what smelled like rotten eggs wafted around me. An icy presence embraced me; goose flesh coalescing my pale, pale skin as if it was coagulated blood. My heartbeat quickened with every breath as I suddenly realized in what sort of place I was lolling in a place of death and pain. And, yet, I couldn't help but shake the feeling that I'd been here before.