Survived | Teen Ink

Survived

By ThereseVidal11 SILVER, Coral Gables, Florida
ThereseVidal11 SILVER, Coral Gables, Florida

"In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away."

Tears are dripping down my face slowly soaking the sides of my cheeks. My chest is heavy with grief, and is slowly growing thicker and thicker with every sob. My stomach feels like it is being gradually ripped to shreds.

Its May, at least I think, and I am standing in the pouring rain watching my father’s casket descend into the ground. Feeling the sweaty squeeze from my little sisters hand reminding me to be strong for her sake. Our father was everything to us especially after our mother became obsessed with her wealth and forgot about her family. I knew with him gone I was now Lux’s new guardian.

“Caia! Caia!” screamed Lux.

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

“What are they doing with daddy?” Lux inquired.

“He is in a better place Lux, he’s in a better place.” I responded.

Seeing as it’s the year 3013, and more than three fourths of the Earth’s original population has diminished due to nuclear warfare, many of us survivors do not believe in an after life, but comforting Lux was my priority. The planet as it used to be had a variety of land masses called “continents,” but those have almost all been destroyed. The only habitable place on this planet is an isle that used to be called Great Britain, which is now our home. We don’t call our island Great Britain, we renamed it Epizon. Here on Epizon we have one high and mighty leader whose name is Richard Clegg, but likes to be referred to as Chief Clegg. His bushy white and gray stained eyebrows and deceiving smirk, make for a remarkably frightful demeanor. He has an army as vast as the eye can see, and has the respect of all those in our country.

“Caia? Caia? Is something wrong? You haven’t spoken all day to me.” feared Jett.
Of course there was, our father just died, as my brother he should have been able to perceive that. But since our population is rapidly decreasing death is quite common.
“No, I’m fine. Lets get home.” I lied, once again for Lux’s sake.
I walked into my house, or should I say mansion, and like always, was disgusted by all the material and unnecessary things we spent our wealth on. Walking in, the familiar scent of unnatural flowers and the sight of our spacious living room depressed me. All this reminded me of my father, who was the one constant in my life, other than Lux. The reason we’re so wealthy was because our government, or should I say dictatorship, was completely and totally corrupt. Only very few in my country were able to notice this extremely dictatorship and corrupt government, and we called ourselves the Revolutionaries. Yes, I am a revolutionary. Another reason I miss my father is because he was the only one who knew this side of me and decided not to turn me in because he realized my life was more important than my political stance. Anyways, our country is lead by “Chief Clegg”, as I said before, and since he is in charge of the wealth he distributes it as he sees fit. His form of distribution is to give all the money to his closest family and friends and allow the rest of society to die from poverty.
“Caia!” my mother yelled.
Why is everyone so focused on talking to me today? “Yes mother?” I replied.
“Can you go clean out your father’s things? I wouldn’t want them to just sit there, and I wouldn’t want them to go to waste. If you see anything you like, you can have it.” she said, leaving me completely awestruck as she utterly disregarded my fathers death as something of little importance, almost like a burden.
I began to walk through the familiar long hallways of my house that arched almost 15ft above my head and were covered in scattered family portraits and paintings of high monetary value. I finally began to approach my father’s office, a room I had only been in once because his office was his sacred space. I heard footsteps behind me and turned around to see if anyone was there. The hallway slowly grew darker and more ominous the further I traveled.
“Jett” I asked warily but there was no response.
I continued down the dark hallway until I reached the door to my father’s office that was bolted shut. How did my mother expect me to get into his office if I didn’t have a key? I began to kick and scratch at the door but nothing I did proved effective.
“Jett? Are you there? I need help opening Dads office!” I shouted. After a moment of hesitation he finally responded.
“Caia? Did you call me? I am on my way over there now.” Jett replied.
No matter how annoying and uninvolved my brother may be he is always there for me and will always be. He is completely and totally overprotective of Lux and me now that Dad is gone because he feels like it his responsibility to take care of us. I guess we all feel that way. I began to see a silhouette forming in the darkness of the hallway and in that instant I knew it was Jett.
“Hey Jett. Thanks for helping me, I just have no idea how Mom expected me to open this door.” I began. “I have only been in here once and don’t remember how we got inside, have you ever…”
“Caia! It’s fine; it’s no big deal. You know I’ll do anything you ask me to.” Jett exclaimed. “Now that I think about it, you’re the only one Dad have ever let in there. You sure you don’t remember how to get in? Anyways, I will still try to open it.”
Jett studied every nook and cranny of that door but every part seemed to be sealed off, locked or bolted. What could be so important that he would have to lock his office? We stood there for hours, with nothing better to do, and tried to figure out how we would try and open this door. After staring at it for a good amount of time, listening to the footsteps of those in the house, every breath that Jett took, and my continuously gradual heartbeat, Jett seemed to notice something. His face suddenly brightened out of curiosity and he stood up as to study something.
“Jett? Jett? What did you find?” I insisted.
“Shh!” he grunted. “Look at this side of the door, do you see the cracks and scars?”
“Yea, but what does that have to do with anything?” I questioned.
"It looks like it says something." He began, "I can tell there is a C but the rest is too messy to read."
I looked at the door puzzled by his discovery. After a moment of strenuous searching I found the mark on the door he was talking about. There was definitely a word written out through cuts and scrapes on the door so small, I would have never noticed it. Jett and I kept staring at it trying to make sense of this scribble. He ran to the kitchen to grab a damp paper towel to try and clean the place over the words so they would become more legible. While he was gone I tried to figure out what the words meant. I kept looking at them, and even though Jett told me not to touch it just incase I would mess something up, and finally I touched the, what looked to be, letter C. All the sudden this old wooden door that was beat up and bolted shut began to glow blue and a robotic voice began to say, "Welcome Caia," and the door opened.
I stood in the hallway a little confused as to what just happened. Jett was still getting the paper towel so I decided to walk in alone. The minute my second foot passed the base of the door, it slammed shut behind me and the door returned to its previous state, a broken down wooden door. I turned around, to look at what just happened. There was probably no point in trying to open the door, and I was finally inside the office, so I turned back around and continued to walk in.
The office was much smaller than I remembered, but then again the last time I had been in here I was only four years old. I heard footsteps from outside of the door and I knew it would be Jett, so I began to call to him.
"Jett? Jett? You there?" I exclaimed.
"Caia? Where are you? I don't see you! Where do you go?" Jett announced.
"I'm inside the office, I am going to continue searching, don't worry about me." I assured him.
"But how did you get inside? Did you figure out what the words meant? Why didn't you wait for me? Caia!" He demanded.
I ignored him because I knew if I responded I would never be able to search the office in peace. Walking I could hear the squeaking of the wood under my feet, and I could smell an immense amount of air freshener that began to become overwhelming. Looking to my left I could see where he hung a family portrait we took years ago, before my mom became so self involved. The picture frame read, "The Mackos," and in the picture we were all making a silly face. You could tell we were having fun, I miss that, I miss him. To my right I found a coat hanger, and my fathers coat. It smelled just like him, like a strong perfume. I ventured further and further into the office until I approached his desk. He had tons of papers and his computer was open to a document that looked like research, but I was not sure.
I had taken science courses my whole life and I could tell after further study of the document that it was about the Earth and its rotation and something about the sun. He was trying to calculate something. Something I am not sure of. No one had ever been allowed in here, much less allowed to touch his computer, but I was too curious to let this go. I sat firmly on the chair in front of his desk and placed my hand on the computer mouse. The room began to glow the same color blue as the door had and the same robotic voice came on, "Welcome Caia, you have one new message." I stared into the computer screen that was switching to a video, and then the video began.
"Hi Caia, if you are watching this video,this means I was right and something horrible is going to happen." It was my father...
"You must be completely confused and may have a number of questions but I don't have time to explain. All you need to know is I picked you because you are the only one in the family close enough to the truth. You are the only one that seems to understand the feebleness of our government and how corrupt it has become. With Clegg in power we will all die in a matter of years, and the human race will finally be extinct. All this is in my research, which I know you are also the only one bright enough to understand. I have set up a variety of clues to lead YOU to the truth. They will only function on your command. I know this is too much information for you to grasp at once, but Caia, the human race is in your hands. Just know that I love you and always have, and that I didn't die for no reason, I died for the truth. Be safe."
I sat there shocked, confused, upset, awestruck, and didn't know what to do. What was my father doing all this time? He was supposed to be Clegg's "best man," it's the only reason why we are so wealthy. What does he want me to do? Why is the human race in danger? All this scared me, but I knew I would have to carry through my fathers mission to keep my family, and the human race safe.
I began to search through his computer searching for these "clues" or hints he spoke of, but I only found documents and documents of research all titled something similar to one another. They all spoke of moving the Earth, moving a planet through space into a more "habitable environment." What did that mean? Was the portion of space we occupied now not safe? Is this what my father was uncovering? I looked through some of the documents most of them outlining how we would move the planet through space safely. This was all so strange. My father had a whole other life no one knew about. Was this why he was killed? Did someone get to close? Did someone find out?
I searched and searched and found numerous documents on moving the Earth, serums, and something about the Sun. Skimming the document about the Sun, I realized why the planet needed to move, and quickly. In only two years the Sun will grow to large and incinerate Earth, leaving nothing behind. Two years. We had two years to live, if my father's research was right. This is what my job was, I am in charge of proving his research and finishing his job. I am in charge of saving humanity, I am in charge of saving the world.