Legcy | Teen Ink

Legcy

By Matt Hollingsworth BRONZE, Knoxville, Tennessee
Matt Hollingsworth BRONZE, Knoxville, Tennessee

“Tell us about what it was like when you were a kid, Grandpa,”
“When I was a kid? Well that would have been around 2013; would you believe it’s been that long? I certainly can’t. My, 2013, ya know it seems just like yesterday to me. Must seem like a million years ago to you two,”
“Tell us!”
“I will. I will. Was I this way to my grandparents when I was your all age? My, I can’t even remember. That’s how old I am. Anyway, when I was just growing up there was this big new thing out called the Xbox 360.That’s what it was called wasn’t it? Back in my day every kid had one. Now, video games had been around forever, but never like this. You see, we could play online now. We could play anywhere in the world with our friends now. If ya friend was in China, why you’d play with them in China. If they was in Europe, why you’d just play with them in Europe. Just as if they were sitting right next to you, you’d play with them.”
“So?”
“So? So that was a big deal back then. It was just to coolest thing. Every kid had an Xbox and we just couldn’t get enough of ‘em. Much more fun than all that crap you kids have now,”
“That’s silly, Grandpa,”
“Well if you think that’s silly listen to this. We used to cur holes in our blue jeans,”
“What are blue jeans?”
“We’ll blue jeans were just the coolest things everybody had a pair. They’d come all pretty and new and we’d go and cut out the knees just to make them look worn. Could you believe we did that? Here, I think I have a picture,”
“Eww, they’re so tight,”
“Heh heh, look at that girl, they’re so tight you can see her butt!”

“Now, don’t go looken at her like that. She’d be about my age by now?”

“What’s that on your shirt?”

“That? That’s just an old joke, ‘Keep calm and carry on.’ We had all sorts of stuff like that,”

“You wrote on your shirts?”

“Why does that one cover his head?”

“That? That’s called a hoodie. They’re like jackets. And those things on her wrists, those are called silly bands. They’re these rubber bands that are mare in a shape like a guitar or a singer or something. You could stretch them any which way and when you let go they’d return to they’re same shape!”

“That’s stupid. Why would you ever buy those?”

“Well they were a bit out of style by this time but just a year or so before they were flying off the shelves. People would actually drive over to buy them.”

“Old cars look so weird, Grandpa,”

“They didn’t to us. But by this time people thought we’d all have flying cars. They were in every cheap sifi. You’d laugh if you saw them in one of the old movies. Heh, I remember back in ’08 when we made this cool new movie called Avatar. You’d think it looks so dumb if you saw it now and I guess it is compared to all those new movies you kids have. But it was a blockbuster, that’s what we used to call ‘em. Bestselling movie up to that point. It made seven hundred million dollars. That was a lot of money for a movie back then.”

“Old movies are so stupid. The special effects are so cheesy and they’re not even in 3-D.”

“Well I guess they weren’t now were they. But we loved them back then. I tell ya, you kids would have loved it back in ’13. So quiet. None of the distractions you kids have now. I tell ya, it was a great time to be alive. I guess that's how people always think of the past, a better time. The presents not good enough for them. That's what my grandprents told me and I it's what you'll tell your kids. It's a great time to be alive…”

What we leave behind…